Daughters First Hunt

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Runt

Daughters First Hunt

Unread postby The Runt » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:51 am

Randomly I asked my oldest daughter, Hillary, if she wanted to Turkey hunt. She was pumped and said she wanted to go. This happened on the Saturday of the mentor hunting weekend. So, we didn't have much time to get ready. Hillary has never shot a shotgun so we grabbed the gun some shells and a lead sled. We made up a target to pattern the gun and set the lead sled up. I chose to have here shoot with a lead sled because I didn't want her to get scared of the recoil and create bad shooting habits. She ended up shooting 5 times and she was confident in working the gun, and I was confident in her shooting skills.

The next morning found us doing some scouting. We found a nice lone Tom looking for a date. We watched him the next 2 mornings as well. I didn't see him for the next few days. The Friday before the youth hunt we went out and put up a blind in the area where we had seen the bird. There were tracks and we were confident we would see something in the morning. Well the day I had been dreaming about since she was born had finally come. We were up early, got a back pack packed, made some hot chocolate and we were off.

As the sun started to rise we heard turkeys all around. There were at least 5 gobblers hammering. Nothing was really interested in our area and most of the gobblers were hanging with hens. We ended up seeing 3 bearded birds before she fell asleep. When she woke up she was ready to go home and call it a day. It was pretty cold out and I was impressed she made it 4 hours.

I had another spot in mind, so we picked up and moved our location. I wanted to set up in the woods because it seamed that most of the birds around us were in the woods. We had plans for the afternoon so that was our day 1.

Day 2 started just like Day 1. We got into the blind and Hillary snuggled into and was ready to nap. The first gobble of the morning was literally right next to us. As things got brighter, I could see the outline of the gobbler in a tree less than 20 yards away. I told Hillary she had to stay ready now and that things may heat up fast. The bird was so hot, he gobbled at everything. He was the only bird we could hear. When he finally flew down the woods came alive. Hens were yelping, and a bunch of birds all flew down to the same spot. There were 10-13 birds in that group, but they were all 40 yards away. Hillary had the gun up and she was ready but the birds moved off about 150-200 yards. Hillary set the gun down and went back to trying to sleep. I looked out the back of the blind and could see that big gobbler still strutting away, but the rest of the flock were just over the rise. I threw some pretty aggressive hen calls and he looked interested. I hammered at him again and he was on the way in. The woods was pretty wet so it took awhile for him to get to us. Hillary had the gun rested on the tripod and was ready to shoot. The bird was 25 yards away when we finally could see him. He came in so fast that he walked through our window before Hillary could get a shot off. The entire time I was trying frantically to get him to stop and whispering to her to squeeze the trigger. He finally stopped just beyond our shooting window. We switched gears to some jakes that were coming in, but as soon as we moved the big tom started coming back into view. Again he wasn't slowing down. I yelped at him and he hesitated. Hillary didn't shoot. I started to think that she was never going to shoot when BANG. she shot and the bird flopped. Then all the jakes came running over and were beating the crap out of Hillary's tom. We watched the show for a bit, hugged and high fived before we chased them away. I was elated, probably the most excited I have been on a hunt. She was grinning ear to ear and was pretty impressed with shooting.

We were done early enough, that we got to Church on time. She was so proud she was telling the story and showing off her pictures to all that would look at them. It was such a great weekend full of memories. Not only is she hooked, she has her other sisters pumped up too!

Edcyclopedia

Re: Daughters First Hunt

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:03 am

Awesome 8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:56 am

Very cool!! Congratulations to you both :clap:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:18 am

Great story, congrats to Hillary.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:48 am

Awesome! Congrats to your daughter :dance: :dance: :dance:
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Very awesome!! Congrats!!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:13 am

:clap: :dance:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 am

Ha! Very nice 8-) Memories is what it's all about
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:28 pm

So cool! Congratulations! :clap:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:37 pm

:clap: Congrats! What an awesome day and learning experience for her and terrific memories for you. Awesome.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:22 am

Congrats, well done.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
The Runt

Unread postby The Runt » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:14 am

Thanks all, I think I am still on a high from that hunt. Not much compares to watching your kid be successful!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:43 am

Awesome! :clap: congrats to you both!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 am

That's awesome!!! :clap:
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.

• Advertisement