Success! Thank you Dan and Hunting Beast - with video

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
raisins

Re: Success! Thank you Dan and Hunting Beast - with video

Unread postby raisins » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:18 am

stash59 wrote:Just a little tip. I know the mic picks up and makes some things sound louder than they are. But you can hear the arrow when you draw. When it gets colder it gets louder. And from personal experience, I know deer can pick this up. And not end up giving you a shot.

8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Great job to OP!

It looks like he has a QAD, which I also run. I'll use this opportunity to drop something that has helped me with this rest.

1. I don't use the felt pads because they are thick and wear down and after wear it will get louder and can slightly change bow tune/zero. If you shoot a lot, then it will wear. The felt can also grab dirt/etc which will make them louder.
2. I use white medical tape, but might go to UHMW tape (like bowstring material) next season. I cut two little pieces and put on each prong with the two pieces meeting at the bottom V, preventing any saggy gap (very repeatable and the arrow never touches bottom of V). The white tape doesn't wear as much as the felt and you can change it several time (easy/cheap) a year with zero effect.
3. I wipe my arrows down with rubbing alcohol to remove any loose dirt or target residue
4. Before each hunt, I get my cobalt ice string wax (very soft, but probably any will work) and rub my finger on it until it is warm and thin, I then rub this on the medical tape, leaving a film so thin that it is not really visible.

With this procedure, I have zero noise drawing the bow. The issue with my procedure is the arrow can rattle around if you are moving a lot. I hunt from a stand and have never had this be an issue.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:49 am

Congrats on a fine buck
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:43 am

raisins wrote:
stash59 wrote:Just a little tip. I know the mic picks up and makes some things sound louder than they are. But you can hear the arrow when you draw. When it gets colder it gets louder. And from personal experience, I know deer can pick this up. And not end up giving you a shot.

Great job to OP!

It looks like he has a QAD, which I also run. I'll use this opportunity to drop something that has helped me with this rest.

1. I don't use the felt pads because they are thick and wear down and after wear it will get louder and can slightly change bow tune/zero. If you shoot a lot, then it will wear. The felt can also grab dirt/etc which will make them louder.
2. I use white medical tape, but might go to UHMW tape (like bowstring material) next season. I cut two little pieces and put on each prong with the two pieces meeting at the bottom V, preventing any saggy gap (very repeatable and the arrow never touches bottom of V). The white tape doesn't wear as much as the felt and you can change it several time (easy/cheap) a year with zero effect.
3. I wipe my arrows down with rubbing alcohol to remove any loose dirt or target residue
4. Before each hunt, I get my cobalt ice string wax (very soft, but probably any will work) and rub my finger on it until it is warm and thin, I then rub this on the medical tape, leaving a film so thin that it is not really visible.

With this procedure, I have zero noise drawing the bow. The issue with my procedure is the arrow can rattle around if you are moving a lot. I hunt from a stand and have never had this be an issue.

Not to take us too far from the original post, but these are good tips. I'm gonna give some of them a try.

As for the video... I didn't have a chance to watch it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it from all of the comments.

Congrats on getting your target buck!! :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:00 am

Nice buck and great shot from a crouch at 35 yards that is no joke. Best part is being able to watch them expire and you had all the daylight in the world to get your photos and gut him out. Good stuff and congrats again! :dance:
Extreme Effort Only
parkerdurham
Facebook: Parker Durham

Unread postby parkerdurham » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:37 am

mheichelbech wrote:This is not a criticism...I am always amazed at guys hunting with no gloves on. I just couldn’t do that, if nothing for fear of poison ivy!

I should wear gloves just because of the poison ivy, but I just don't like shooting with them on. It is a statistical oddity how often the "right tree" is covered in poison ivy, and every time I say, "well this time I'll be careful," and every time I end up with itchy puffy hands. Just stubbornness and stupidity at work.
parkerdurham
Facebook: Parker Durham

Unread postby parkerdurham » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:57 am

greenhorndave wrote:
raisins wrote:

Great job to OP!

Not to take us too far from the original post, but these are good tips. I'm gonna give some of them a try.

As for the video... I didn't have a chance to watch it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it from all of the comments.

Congrats on getting your target buck!! :clap:

It is the QAD; I've only been running it for about a month, and just started noticing how loud its gotten after being broken in. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely do that. I don't think a deer a close quarters will tolerate that too much.

Thank y'all so much for taking the time to watch and your comments! It's definitely a pain to haul around and setup the camera, tree arm, etc., but it sure is nice to be able to go back and watch the hunt now. This is my first attempt, and teaching myself how to edit anything into a decent product has been and is difficult for my non-tech savy self, but I'm learning slowly but surely. Other advice/criticism I've gotten include more B-roll footage, (instead of looking at me talking in the dark for 3 minutes, which I would not want to do either,) better audio and lighting, and like yall have said, including a map to show the "chess board" and being better able to illustrate the strategy behind the hunt. Even though the deer ducked into the spine shot, I should not have said the shot was perfect. I plan on going back and editing videos starting from opening day, including improving the video of this hunt, and all this advice will help a lot.

Thanks again gentlemen, I look forward to being more active on the Beast!
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 am

Congrats on the nice buck! Well done.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:08 am

Way to go nice buck :clap:
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:57 pm

That’s awesome. Congratulations
Persistence is undefeated.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:37 am

Just now seeing this one. Congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:10 pm

Very nice :clap:
Congrats
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:34 pm

Congrats!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:04 pm

Way to go!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”