Hunting Beast QA with Dan and Mario

• Advertisement

HB Store

Mario
ProStaff

Re: Hunting Beast QA with Dan and Mario

Unread postby Mario » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone, yeah we will be releasing parts 3-5 in the upcomming weeks... we got through the first 22 questions. The plan is to do some more to get through the rest of the questions

Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:32 am

Great Stuff!!!

"I was in a station wagon with I brake for raccoons bumper sticker"... that cracked me up.

I liked the part where Mario described how he and Dan saw things differently looking at the same piece of land. Even though Mario who sounds like a very skilled hunter, and is probably 10x the hunter I am, struggled somewhat to know exactly where the prime spots were in that terrain they were looking at. It just goes to show you how challenging this is and how rewarding it can be if successful.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:14 am

I also have to mention that our backdrop would not look as good as it does without Jeff G.'s taxidermy :D, thanks Jeff!
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:48 am

Good stuff guys. Looking forward to the next ones.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:33 am

Great work guys. Much appreciated that you take the time to answer so many questions. Looking forward to listening to the rest of the series.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:55 pm

I do have a question now...so I know if you are going in for an observation, your close to getting in an area where that buck is going to know you were there. Or no? I would consider this hunting from the outside in. Meaning...if I come to the oak grove, I am going to hunt the oak grove where I can shoot to the edge. If nothing transpires, I am either pushing in further or moving on.

Or if I came to the edge of the island and observed...
This was the part of the video with the 3 swamp islands. And Dan you are talking about observing than moving in for the kill. How does that buck not know you are in there once you leave? What is the distance you are observing from before moving in for the kill?

I do not disagree with your method at all. I think sometimes here on the beast many of us are using the same tactic but just calling them different things.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:30 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:I do have a question now...so I know if you are going in for an observation, your close to getting in an area where that buck is going to know you were there. Or no? I would consider this hunting from the outside in. Meaning...if I come to the oak grove, I am going to hunt the oak grove where I can shoot to the edge. If nothing transpires, I am either pushing in further or moving on.

Or if I came to the edge of the island and observed...
This was the part of the video with the 3 swamp islands. And Dan you are talking about observing than moving in for the kill. How does that buck not know you are in there once you leave? What is the distance you are observing from before moving in for the kill?

I do not disagree with your method at all. I think sometimes here on the beast many of us are using the same tactic but just calling them different things.

Outside in Im hunting kill spots in an order as to not upset kill spots deeper on the property... Observing Im where the buck most likely will never know im there. I do hunt kind of both at the same time, and they do/can become the same thing. However, I have sat on a silo with a spoting scope, or in a car with bino's. Don't think I would call that hunting my way in, but its certainly an observation.

A lot of time if you put your self in a position to kill, rather than to observe and your to far back you tip the buck off and your next move is a bust. You gotta know when to go right in for the kill, and when to sit back and watch. Its kinda like a football coach having a student watch video of his opponents habits on the game field before he plays him. If you learn his habits on the field, he is learning yours too and making adjustments.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:31 am

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:58 am

8-) :clap: :think:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:19 am

Really interesting. The scrape talk ...good stuff. I hunted one of these last year...have a buck bedding area that I came to close to shooting a buck out of last year. Same type of thing. Ground scrapes in a bedding area.

Its great to hear guys talking about this stuff. Its the kind of stuff early season that no one talks about. Its one of the reasons why I came to the beast.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:18 pm

mt008 wrote:I also have to mention that our backdrop would not look as good as it does without Jeff G.'s taxidermy :D, thanks Jeff!

Haha. Keep em coming. Dans dragging mine out this year!
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:55 am

Great info as always, hanging on my seat waiting for next installment. Love the shirts guys. Can I ask a question or two for the next Q&A? Link for that forum???
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:14 am

Killemquietly wrote:Great info as always, hanging on my seat waiting for next installment. Love the shirts guys. Can I ask a question or two for the next Q&A? Link for that forum???

Here is the original post http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=295&t=40202
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:49 am

I like this format. Would be cool to add another beast or two for a round table discussion.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:40 am

The questions/answers is a really good format for the Hunting Beast podcasts! Well done!!

Question for Dan... do you think the bear bait buck could have been sharing the same bedding spots with the bears? The reason I ask is that both animals live and die by their nose, and also, I found a bedding spot in northern Wisconsin this spring that had fresh bear sign as well as old and fresh big buck bedding sign. They would not likely bed there at the same time but I would think they both look for the same terrain/wind advantages.

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”