Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

User avatar
Marshbuster89
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:32 am
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski
Location: WI
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:10 am

Just finished this one, that was a good listen :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:


How bad do you want it?
User avatar
PK_
500 Club
Posts: 6169
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 am
Location: Just Off
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:55 am

Been wanting to listen to this is it only on YouTube?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
User avatar
seazofcheeze
500 Club
Posts: 2976
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:13 am

PK_ wrote:Been wanting to listen to this is it only on YouTube?


Right now it's only on YouTube. I plan to get it uploaded to some other podcasting hosting sites, but haven't got around to that part of my "to do" list yet.
User avatar
PK_
500 Club
Posts: 6169
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 am
Location: Just Off
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:54 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
PK_ wrote:Been wanting to listen to this is it only on YouTube?


Right now it's only on YouTube. I plan to get it uploaded to some other podcasting hosting sites, but haven't got around to that part of my "to do" list yet.

Cool. I will get on it for my commute on Monday 8-)
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Kokes
500 Club
Posts: 1273
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:33 am
Location: Parry Sound, Ontario
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby Kokes » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:17 am

just listened to this one, nice job seaz and lockdown
User avatar
stash59
Moderator
Posts: 9422
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am
Location: S Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:53 am

8-)
Listened to it this morning.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
User avatar
218er
500 Club
Posts: 741
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:55 pm
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby 218er » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:29 pm

That’s was a great listen. I’m going to try to get one off the ground on public this year. Seems like it would be a rush
Persistence is undefeated.
User avatar
PAbowhunter10
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:11 am
Location: Edinboro PA
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm

Got through Lockdown and Marshbuster today! Great stuff! :clap: Find a way to get this on All podcast platforms and keep interviewing guys from the beast about hunting tactics and I promise that you’ll have a large following. I listen to a lot of hunting podcasts and normally you have to search through all the advertising and promotion bs to actually find information that will help you grow as a hunter. What you’re producing is what I like to call podcast gold. Keep up the good work!
User avatar
seazofcheeze
500 Club
Posts: 2976
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:20 pm

PAbowhunter10 wrote:Got through Lockdown and Marshbuster today! Great stuff! :clap: Find a way to get this on All podcast platforms and keep interviewing guys from the beast about hunting tactics and I promise that you’ll have a large following. I listen to a lot of hunting podcasts and normally you have to search through all the advertising and promotion bs to actually find information that will help you grow as a hunter. What you’re producing is what I like to call podcast gold. Keep up the good work!


I appreciate the feedback. Comments like this will keep me going! I'm also open to criticism, so if there is anything I can improve upon, let me know, it won't hurt my feelings!
User avatar
tgreeno
500 Club
Posts: 4622
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:06 am
Location: WI
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:51 am

I like to hear about these guys thought processes. My biggest question usually is: When do I hunt which area. Food, pressure or cover based.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
User avatar
Lockdown
Moderator
Posts: 7493
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:30 am

tgreeno wrote:I like to hear about these guys thought processes. My biggest question usually is: When do I hunt which area. Food, pressure or cover based.


Greeno, by “area” are you referring to which properties to target?
User avatar
tgreeno
500 Club
Posts: 4622
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:06 am
Location: WI
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:36 pm

Lockdown wrote:
tgreeno wrote:I like to hear about these guys thought processes. My biggest question usually is: When do I hunt which area. Food, pressure or cover based.


Greeno, by “area” are you referring to which properties to target?


Mostly Yes. Or I do have a couple spots with multiple beds on the same property adjacent to each other. They seem to like to use the closest bedding to food, that still makes them feel secure. At least until they start sniffing around for doe's.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
User avatar
NorthStar
500 Club
Posts: 666
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:43 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nick.backlund.37
Location: Southern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:38 am

This was really well done! I like podcasts that get straight to the point and skip all the fluff. I also really like the format! The questions about gear, scouting, area specific challenges that Ryan deals with on public.....all really good stuff. Please continue to episode 2!
"Successful hunts are not measured in kills and encounters. They are measured by the new knowledge you have gained."
User avatar
Lockdown
Moderator
Posts: 7493
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:47 pm

tgreeno wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
tgreeno wrote:I like to hear about these guys thought processes. My biggest question usually is: When do I hunt which area. Food, pressure or cover based.


Greeno, by “area” are you referring to which properties to target?


Mostly Yes. Or I do have a couple spots with multiple beds on the same property adjacent to each other. They seem to like to use the closest bedding to food, that still makes them feel secure. At least until they start sniffing around for doe's.



Ok, so to answer the “when do I hunt which area” question. I feel there’s always strengths and weaknesses to each property. Figuring some of these things out takes years sometimes. Some are blatantly obvious.

I like to ask myself what a property has going for it. It might be food. Most of my properties don’t have oaks, so for the few that do, I pay attention to when they’re producing and hunt accordingly. It’s no different with rotational Ag. Some bedding areas only hold deer when they’re surrounded by standing corn. Some bedding areas are active early season when there’s beans adjacent to bedding.

Like the bedding I shot my buck out of last year. It was beans and they were hitting it hard. This year? I don’t want to go into details but there’s a junk crop there and I doubt that bedding is being used this year. I will still go and check tracks not only to verify that, but to help get a feel for what the sign looks like for different scenarios. Like I said in the podcast, to efficiently analyze sign, you need to know what to expect.

The new property I’m scouting has duck sloughs on it. So I’m going to be hitting that up first weekend no doubt, as waterfowl opens 2nd weekend. Doesn’t mean I’m going to hunt it, I still need to see hot sign. If I have 8 options for early season, and can only get to 4 opening weekend, I’m going to make dang sure this property is one of the four. I will leave the properties that waterfowl hunters don’t effect for 2nd weekend.

One property I have has bedding scattered all over. It’s ridiculous. When the crops are standing that just makes the needle in the haystack situation even worse, so I usually wait until the crops are out to hunt there. If I can find a good rut funnel on a property like that, I’m more likely to save it for rut. I feel I have a better chance of killing there during rut since early season I’m not as confident I can pin one down. So even if a different property has a good rut funnel too, if it also has very predictable bedding I’m more likely to hunt it early because I’m far more comfortable with the odds of that situation. For thick and very secure properties (especially with poor access) I’ll wait until pressure ramps up and hope the deer get pushed in there.

This is slightly unrelated to answering the original question, but my thought process is similar for both. So a properties strengths and weaknesses regarding scouting and locating deer are also taken into consideration. If you’ve got a spot that’s super thick that doesn’t bode well for observations, use trail cameras instead. Then why waste cams on an open property when you can see bedding adequately (especially multiple bedding areas). In that situation observing is better. Some properties lay out really well for checking field edges for big tracks. If I’m confident I can tell there’s a shooter there, and which bedding he’s in, just from field edge tracks alone, I don’t want to waste cam intel or observations there. I can figure it out quick and easy on hunt day.

So that’s how my mind works for figuring properties out and when to hunt each. You have to recognize and avoid the weaknesses, while using the strengths to your advantage.
User avatar
tgreeno
500 Club
Posts: 4622
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:06 am
Location: WI
Status: Offline

Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:59 pm

Lockdown wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
tgreeno wrote:I like to hear about these guys thought processes. My biggest question usually is: When do I hunt which area. Food, pressure or cover based.


Greeno, by “area” are you referring to which properties to target?


Mostly Yes. Or I do have a couple spots with multiple beds on the same property adjacent to each other. They seem to like to use the closest bedding to food, that still makes them feel secure. At least until they start sniffing around for doe's.



Ok, so to answer the “when do I hunt which area” question. I feel there’s always strengths and weaknesses to each property. Figuring some of these things out takes years sometimes. Some are blatantly obvious.

I like to ask myself what a property has going for it. It might be food. Most of my properties don’t have oaks, so for the few that do, I pay attention to when they’re producing and hunt accordingly. It’s no different with rotational Ag. Some bedding areas only hold deer when they’re surrounded by standing corn. Some bedding areas are active early season when there’s beans adjacent to bedding.

Like the bedding I shot my buck out of last year. It was beans and they were hitting it hard. This year? I don’t want to go into details but there’s a junk crop there and I doubt that bedding is being used this year. I will still go and check tracks not only to verify that, but to help get a feel for what the sign looks like for different scenarios. Like I said in the podcast, to efficiently analyze sign, you need to know what to expect.

The new property I’m scouting has duck sloughs on it. So I’m going to be hitting that up first weekend no doubt, as waterfowl opens 2nd weekend. Doesn’t mean I’m going to hunt it, I still need to see hot sign. If I have 8 options for early season, and can only get to 4 opening weekend, I’m going to make dang sure this property is one of the four. I will leave the properties that waterfowl hunters don’t effect for 2nd weekend.

One property I have has bedding scattered all over. It’s ridiculous. When the crops are standing that just makes the needle in the haystack situation even worse, so I usually wait until the crops are out to hunt there. If I can find a good rut funnel on a property like that, I’m more likely to save it for rut. I feel I have a better chance of killing there during rut since early season I’m not as confident I can pin one down. So even if a different property has a good rut funnel too, if it also has very predictable bedding I’m more likely to hunt it early because I’m far more comfortable with the odds of that situation. For thick and very secure properties (especially with poor access) I’ll wait until pressure ramps up and hope the deer get pushed in there.

This is slightly unrelated to answering the original question, but my thought process is similar for both. So a properties strengths and weaknesses regarding scouting and locating deer are also taken into consideration. If you’ve got a spot that’s super thick that doesn’t bode well for observations, use trail cameras instead. Then why waste cams on an open property when you can see bedding adequately (especially multiple bedding areas). In that situation observing is better. Some properties lay out really well for checking field edges for big tracks. If I’m confident I can tell there’s a shooter there, and which bedding he’s in, just from field edge tracks alone, I don’t want to waste cam intel or observations there. I can figure it out quick and easy on hunt day.

So that’s how my mind works for figuring properties out and when to hunt each. You have to recognize and avoid the weaknesses, while using the strengths to your advantage.


Thanks Ryan! Some great insights! The exact type of info I was looking for! Many of my spots are very difficult to glass or shine because of thick cover. I try on adjacent fields, but historically have had limited success shining.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt


  • Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest