Ask Dan & Mario...

• Advertisement

HB Store

Mario
ProStaff

Re: Ask Dan & Mario...

Unread postby Mario » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:19 am

Summary of Questions

@Mario.... Do you beast hunt with a xbow and if so how have you modified your setups to account for the crossbow. When do you load? have you found it difficult to stay stealthy etc.

@Dan .... with your site booming and being pulled in alot of directions for interviews, podcast, realtree, sponsors, etc... how do you balance all the distractions with family, friends your other priorities in life?

@Mario Good questions. I'm especially interested in the xbow stuff. How do you pack it with your stand and sticks? How do you tune your broadheads?

@Dan @Mario - Also what's the biggest differences between ordinary buck bedding and the cherry stuff Dan chooses to hunt?

@Dan - I would love to hear about the latest things tactics wise that have peaked your curiousity whether you have confirm suspicions or not just what has your attention right now.

@Dan - where I hunt many times my tree is in water if I'm targeting a high spot where I think a buck is bedding.
Does the size of the water have an effect on the evening thermals?
I.E. I got one spot that has three high points that will be dry, but I'm wading 18-24" water to get in there and the high spots at literally 10'x6' or so. I would say the water area is easily 5 acres. 3 times I've targeted this bed and all three times the wind dies and it seems the thermals have no rhyme or reason. I pop milk weed and it just floats in random directions until a breeze comes through and grabs it. Twice the buck was in the bed and got me before he got in bow range.

@Dan -I would like to hear more about in-season scouting, using hot sign, past buck encounters and anything else you can think of to pick which bedding area you are going to hunt that day

@Dan @Mario - Also rut hunting in swamps and marshes.

@Dan @Mario - Hunting small properties, how to time out your kill attempt in those little overlooked spots

@Dan @Mario - What constitutes hot vs warm vs cold sign. What decisions do you make based on that sign

@Dan - Big woods hunting info

@Dan - At what point do you write-off a buck bed/bedding area? A certain number of sits with nothing home or only small bucks? Lack of mature sign throughout one season? Two seasons?

@Dan - I know you talk about only one sit per bedding area. Is this only for areas you have hunted for many year, and have history with? I have many new bedding areas this year, is multiple sits (2 or 3), throughout the season to figure out if they're worth sitting, a good idea? This is my plan, to get some history with each spot!

@Dan - Is your best buck bedding area, only best during early season, the rut, late season? Or is it the best all year long? The real question is: I'm assuming a #1 buck bedding area will hold a mature buck all year long?

@Dan @Mario - I'd like to here more about observation sits. I understand they're meant to gain that missing piece to your final game plan but what's the rules to using an observation sit? What terrain do you mostly use them in? How close is too close? The terrain I hunt is hill and river bottom but I'd like to hear your thoughts on them all.

@Dan @Mario - Rain as cover. Also I'd like to know how y'all use rainy days to your advantage on the spectrum of scent. Say you have a close encounter with a target buck but need to make an adjustment. You get a similar wind condition and a rain to wash your scent away over night or even during that hunt. Do you hunt that same bed making the adjustment or scratch that spot off for a later date? Really just your thoughts on how rain dictates how often you hunt a particular bed granted we agree rain washes human-associated scent from an area. I believe it does but I haven't had enough opinions weighed in on the subject after asking honestly

@Dan @Mario - What do you notice are some key mistakes "up and coming beasts" make once they understand the "basics" like proper routes,dont hunt the wrong wind and ability to find beds in whatever terrain we hunt?

@Dan @Mario - When you guys are doing a scouting workshop, what kinds of things are you walking past and not really paying attention too that the others would stop and evaluate?

@Mario - Mario, looking through old threads I can see a rapid progression in skills and kills. Can you compare what you were doing 5 years ago as to how much and how you scout now vs. Then?

@Dan - Scouting efficiency, how to scout a large area quickly - Dan, I have heard you say in the past that you have scouted parcels a couple thousand acres in size in a few days, and on the 9 finger thread (I haven't listened to the podcast yet) someone mentioned you said you don't leave 10 acres unturned. I assume covering lots of ground is simply speed scouting, and getting in depth is targeting a single buck, but could you go into greater detail of the whens, whys, and hows?? I think most of us could benefit by being more efficient.

@Dan - Identifying the primary bedding. Also anything you have to say about the details of "This is a bed I want to hunt.", vs "this is buck bedding but not one I'll key on."

@Dan @Mario - Deer drives, how to set-up, why?, When? - If you are looking for another topic to talk about on a podcast, you might talk about doing deer drives and the thought process that actually goes into it. Some guys just "Drive timber" and set standers at the property line. This topic may appeal to many of the gun hunters that have no clue about the buck bedding tactics that you are talking about. Just a thought if you were looking for other topics… I think if Dan and Mario went along on drives with some guys out there, they would be shaking their heads saying. "What is the strategy,? you guys haven't thought this out at all.." The other hunters would respond by saying "This is how we've done it for years. Some years we get lucky, most times we go home empty handed. " Some things that may be obvious to someone experienced like Dan, may be something completely enlightening to others. You may want to draw it out to show how you would approach a certain area and where to position standers and pushers. So maybe a YouTube video to show a visual would help as well. Obviously safety is a factor and that would be nice to discuss as well .

@Dan @Mario - Rut tactics and beast hunting - I'd like to hear more about Beast rut hunting. I was just reading a thread about the rut in the all time best tactical threads where Dan and another member mentioned hunting spots that are overlooked and others would think they were crazy for hunting there. I would like to hear about some of these types of spots or anything rut related you would like to talk about. Thanks for doing this guys!

@Dan @Mario - I would like to hear more about farm country buck hunting. Even the public near me is a lot of smallish timber blocks connected by fence row type cover and fields of either agriculture or 8ft tall scrub in the gaps. It reminds me of a crossword puzzle on an aerial map. Difficult to hunt bucks effectively.

@Dan - farm country in season tactics and bedding - Agreed I would like to hear a podcast just on in-season scouting and tactics, especially as it relates to hill/farm country. Including what to do when your spring scouting bedding areas strike out. For example it's much less obvious to me where to stop and hunt in a block of timber in hill/farm country than it is in marshes and swamps (probably due to the DVD's).

@Dan - Talking points on how to teach bed hunting, hill country and the sport of deer hunting to new youth hunters.

@Dan - how to set-up on beds that you find - There's a ton of info on here and Dan's YouTube videos that easily explain how to find beds. I immediately started finding buck beds last year when i started thanks to that. My struggle now is how to set up on them and how to hunt them. Im in PA hill country. Where do i set my stand on a certain bed, etc? Where do i enter and exit from? That's where I still need to learn a lot. But obviously that can't be easily answered. Also I get hung up on "old bedding" i find a great bed in the winter. By spring its no longer used. In spring no longer used by summer. Summer to fall, etc. Seasonal bedding has been tough for me. I've found maybe 20 of those beds now. Not sure if I've ever found a primary bedding area. On PA public maybe its just very difficult to do and I need to search more.

@Dan - Hunting areas with extremely difficult entry higher success rate on mature bucks? Do you prioritize hard to access spots when pressure increases.

@Dan - How do you hunt extremely complicated areas? On public land where trails cant be cut. Lets say for instance a 900 acre 2-3 year old pine clearcut full of thorns on North South and East sides with 120 acres hardwoods thats full great buck bedding and sign trick is you can't enter from the west because the wind is going to be wrong most of the time. Would you not hunt until wind coming out of the east? Which is rare in the south. Would you pass over these areas entirely being hard to get into on normal wind directions?

@Dan @Mario - Lots of people take a Hunting vacation during the rut. How should a guy maximize his time during the rut to up his odds?

@Dan @Mario - talk about the differences between hunting mature bucks during rut vs. the 2 and 3 year olds that move a lot more during rut?

@Dan It seems that Dan has shot a lot of his bucks very early in the season. Does he think it's easier to pattern mature buck during this time compared to the rut? Is this correct? Any specific bedding that seems better during this time? I have always felt that the first couple weeks of the season is the best time to shoot a mature buck if you have his bedding pinpointed ahead of time. Maybe because of less pressure then? Summer patterns?

@Dan - season strategy - I remember from an old podcast Dan said he followed some type of rotation like swamp/marsh early season, the hills during the rut, then back to swamps late, or something like that. It would be great to hear this logic again and explore it in more detail, does he still follow this routine or another now, why, where, etc. Take us through a whole season of ideas/strategies, in depth.

@Dan - BUCK BEDS ON HILL COUNTRY POINTS: During my post season scouting I have noticed a trend of a half circle trail from below the point wrapping around the outer edge of the point and ultimately connecting to the bed above on the tip of the point. Is this likely a morning J-hook, evening exit trail, or coincidental path of least resistance?

@Dan - LEARNING FROM PREVIOUS HUNTS: When you go back to re-scout an area you have already scouted and/or hunted in the past, what details are you searching for to combine with already gathered intel in order to make the big picture more clear?

@Dan - SCOUTING WITH STAND ON BACK: What are you looking for based on terrain and time of year? What is your approach to avoid being seen, heard, winded, and getting to close? If you bump satellite deer near where you decide you should set up, do you stay or move on?

@Dan - Deer exit routes. How to determine where they are and how to use them to your advantage. Also how to determine if a bed is being used even if there isn't much sign in it.

@Dan - Timing of when to hunt "pressure beds"

@Dan - What do you differently when hunting an at farm which is on top and these woods are below versus when the ag is below with normal hill country?

@Dan - How do bucks move differently?

@Dan - How does air/scent flow differently?[/list]

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:09 pm

I got 2 questions if its not to late to get in on the action.

1 tips for hunting out of state

2. Would like to hear yalls beliefs on what's legal versus what's ethical
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:33 pm

I only have two ideals for a podcasts that im really intrested mostly
1- a hill country podcast
2- cyber scouting and boots on the ground scouting technics
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
PAbowhunter

Unread postby PAbowhunter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Not sure if this would be a great podcast topic or more instructional but I struggle with cyber scouting, maybe others as well. What exactly to look for in terrain, crops, vegetation, obstacles etc. what makes you pick a certain spot over similar spots.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:13 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:I only have two ideals for a podcasts that im really intrested mostly
1- a hill country podcast
2- cyber scouting and boots on the ground scouting technics

I think i should have said a follow up on the new hill country dvd or Q&A on the dvd on my #1 as well.

And i really like what PAbowhunter said about cyber scouting to go along with my #2
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Missionshooter wrote:If you are looking for another topic to talk about on a podcast, you might talk about doing deer drives and the thought process that actually goes into it. Some guys just "Drive timber" and set standers at the property line. This topic may appeal to many of the gun hunters that have no clue about the buck bedding tactics that you are talking about. Just a thought if you were looking for other topics...

I think if Dan and Mario went along on drives with some guys out there, they would be shaking their heads saying. "What is the strategy,? you guys haven't thought this out at all.." The other hunters would respond by saying "This is how we've done it for years. Some years we get lucky, most times we go home empty handed. "

Some things that may be obvious to someone experienced like Dan, may be something completely enlightening to others. You may want to draw it out to show how you would approach a certain area and where to position standers and pushers. So maybe a YouTube video to show a visual would help as well. Obviously safety is a factor and that would be nice to discuss as well .

This would be really interesting.

X2 on the deer drive topic. It may be too late for the Q and A podcast but perhaps this could be a full podcast episode with Dan in the near future. I've requested this topic on other podcasts in the past but no one covers this content. The good ol Dan Infalt deer drive talk would certainly have my interest.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:35 am

I am not sure if you are still taking questions or topic suggestions but I was hoping you guys could discuss morning set ups? I get that evenings are preferred but mornings work best for a lot of guys that have young kids.

If all you had was mornings to hunt, what would your strategy look like starting with scouting and ending with leaving the hunting property?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Voz

Unread postby Voz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:42 am

When are you guys done taking questions?

Thanks
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:01 am

Voz wrote:When are you guys done taking questions?

Thanks

I could be wrong but think they are still finishing the first 40 questions.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:21 am

NorthStar wrote:I am not sure if you are still taking questions or topic suggestions but I was hoping you guys could discuss morning set ups? I get that evenings are preferred but mornings work best for a lot of guys that have young kids.

If all you had was mornings to hunt, what would your strategy look like starting with scouting and ending with leaving the hunting property?

This question was worded poorly, my apologies. I guess I am just looking for some good morning hunting advice. How to scout for morning spots, how to access and depart from these spots, and any morning specific tactics that you have found success in....

Thanks!!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Marly1812
Facebook: brett marthey

Unread postby Marly1812 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:33 am

Dan and Mario- I have been listening to your podcasts for roughly 6 months and trying to implement your tactics on the land i hunt. I am in eastern NC and it is very flat land im curious on how to use your tactics in my situation. How to find bedding if there is no high ground?? Alot of the forest down here are large pine plantations with very little oaks with very thick cover everywhere. it seems like the deer just lay down wherever they want because of the thickness. It seems like the best bet to find a mature deer is to hunt around sign, scrapes, rubs, droppings etc. So i guess the question is how to hunt very flat land.... the land might have elevations of 5-10 ft with no saddles/ridges etc just flat land.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:01 am

I have a podcast request when y'all get to firing back up. Is there anyway u could include just afew minutes to let a youth hunter tell there story of a hunt this year. I luv to listen to a kiddo all excited talking about there hunt and the things they thought were important. I know it's not tactical or anything but think we all started there. Only thing I here or see from young kids are the celebrity hunters kids going to a deer farm. Never here much from one who might have had to go 6 times just to see a deer. Just an idea

Thanks
Boogie
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:22 am

Ok. I wanna hear about some big woods starting points
What and where to start looking
I try to break into blocks but even the blocks are overwhelming on where to start.
I hunt mostly marsh and farms but i also want to hunt a pretty big state forest here and i just dont know where to start acorns would probably be main source but there are a few ag fields around not many high pressure during gun season. Little bit of pressure bow seasons
Strenke629

Unread postby Strenke629 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:17 am

DAN: Are you technically the one credited with the discovery of thermals(especially water thermals) and the wind tunnel, as well as specific mature buck bedding and the way mature bucks bed on different winds and in different types of terrain? Or has this all been relevant before and you in a sense rekindled an old style of hunting and knowledge?

EXTRA INFO: I don't know how other loyal beast followers feel, but when I see a video on YouTube and they talk about specific knowledge that is exactly what is taught by you and they don't give credit where it's due it bugs me a little bit. lol. You probably don't care though, you're probably just happy they're hunting beast style whether they give you credit on the tactics or not.
jhpa

Unread postby jhpa » Thu May 24, 2018 7:02 am

Mario: What brought you to the beast style? How long did it take you to find success?

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”