Ask Dan & Mario...

• Advertisement

HB Store

Mario
ProStaff

Ask Dan & Mario...

Unread postby Mario » Mon May 22, 2017 2:38 am

Hello,

We are looking for your input on a list of questions or short topics that you would like Dan or myself answer on a podcast.

Post your question to the forum, and we will start compiling a list for a future Podcast.

Go to HB Podcasts or HB Podcast on Spreaker to check out all of our existing Podcasts

thanks!

stash59

Re: Ask Dan & Mario...

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:34 pm

burkhart wrote:@ mario.... Do you beast hunt with a xbow and if so how have you modified your setups to account for the crossbow. When do you load? have you found it difficult to stay stealthy etc.

@ dan .... with your site booming and being pulled in alot of directions for interviews, podcast, realtree, sponsors, etc... how do you balance all the distractions with family, friends your other priorities in life?

Good questions. I'm especially interested in the xbow stuff. How do you pack it with your stand and sticks? How do you tune your broadheads?

Also what's the biggest differences between ordinary buck bedding and the cherry stuff Dan chooses to hunt?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon May 22, 2017 12:36 pm

Haha now this is funny. I just said on my last comment I was looking forward to the next HB podcast where you can dive deeper into the tactics and such.

So I would love to hear about the latest things tactics wise that have peaked your curiousity whether you have confirm suspicions or not just what has your attention right now.

Also I'd like you to get a little more indepth on internal or secondary transitions I.E. you got the hard transition of marsh to hammock, but in the hammock there is a pine/ oak subtle/secondary transition. What are you paying attention to in that situation?

Also where I hunt many times my tree is in water if I'm targeting a high spot where I think a buck is bedding. Does the size of the water have an effect on the evening thermals. I.E. I got one spot that has three high points that will be dry, but I'm wading 18-24" water to get in there and the high spots at literally 10'x6' or so. I would say the water area is easily 5 acres. 3 times I've targeted this bed and all three times the wind dies and it seems the thermals have no rhyme or reason. I pop milk weed and it just floats in random directions until a breeze comes through and grabs it. Twice the buck was in the bed and got me before he got in bow range.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon May 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Possible subjects:

-I would like to hear more about in-season scouting, using hot sign, past buck encounters and anything else you can think of to pick which bedding area you are going to hunt that day.

-Also rut hunting in swamps and marshes.

-Hunting small properties, how to time out your kill attempt in those little overlooked spots.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon May 22, 2017 1:13 pm

hunter_mike wrote:Possible subjects:

-I would like to hear more about in-season scouting, using hot sign, past buck encounters and anything else you can think of to pick which bedding area you are going to hunt that day.

-Also rut hunting in swamps and marshes.

-Hunting small properties, how to time out your kill attempt in those little overlooked spots.

X2 on the hot sign question. What constitutes hot vs warm vs cold sign. What decisions do you make based on that sign.

And anything big woods is always a plus
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon May 22, 2017 1:37 pm

At what point do you write-off a buck bed/bedding area? A certain number of sits with nothing home or only small bucks? Lack of mature sign throughout one season? Two seasons?

I know you talk about only one sit per bedding area. Is this only for areas you have hunted for many year, and have history with? I have many new bedding areas this year, is multiple sits (2 or 3), throughout the season to figure out if they're worth sitting, a good idea? This is my plan, to get some history with each spot!

Is your best buck bedding area, only best during early season, the rut, late season? Or is it the best all year long? The real question is: I'm assuming a #1 buck bedding area will hold a mature buck all year long?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon May 22, 2017 3:47 pm

I'd like to here more about observation sits. I understand they're meant to gain that missing piece to your final game plan but what's the rules to using an observation sit? What terrain do you mostly use them in? How close is too close? The terrain I hunt is hill and river bottom but I'd like to hear your thoughts on them all.

Also I'd like to know how y'all use rainy days to your advantage on the spectrum of scent. Say you have a close encounter with a target buck but need to make an adjustment. You get a similar wind condition and a rain to wash your scent away over night or even during that hunt. Do you hunt that same bed making the adjustment or scratch that spot off for a later date? Really just your thoughts on how rain dictates how often you hunt a particular bed granted we agree rain washes human-associated scent from an area. I believe it does but I haven't had enough opinions weighed in on the subject after asking honestly
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon May 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Wannabelikedan wrote:I'd like to here more about observation sits. I understand they're meant to gain that missing piece to your final game plan but what's the rules to using an observation sit? What terrain do you mostly use them in? How close is too close? The terrain I hunt is hill and river bottom but I'd like to hear your thoughts on them all.

Also I'd like to know how y'all use rainy days to your advantage on the spectrum of scent. Say you have a close encounter with a target buck but need to make an adjustment. You get a similar wind condition and a rain to wash your scent away over night or even during that hunt. Do you hunt that same bed making the adjustment or scratch that spot off for a later date? Really just your thoughts on how rain dictates how often you hunt a particular bed granted we agree rain washes human-associated scent from an area. I believe it does but I haven't had enough opinions weighed in on the subject after asking honestly

Not sure if you were asking the gen population in that last question. I think rain definitely helps remove scent, but I've tracked to many hit deer with dogs in a nasty down pour and found them to think that it washes it out comepletly, but I have seen the rain completly screw a dog up as well.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon May 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Tufrthnails wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:I'd like to here more about observation sits. I understand they're meant to gain that missing piece to your final game plan but what's the rules to using an observation sit? What terrain do you mostly use them in? How close is too close? The terrain I hunt is hill and river bottom but I'd like to hear your thoughts on them all.

Not sure if you were asking the gen population in that last question. I think rain definitely helps remove scent, but I've tracked to many hit deer with dogs in a nasty down pour and found them to think that it washes it out comepletly, but I have seen the rain completly screw a dog up as well.

Yeah in sense but I didn't want to throw a "sub-thread" in the middle of this one and clutter it up. Wouldn't doubt there is a thread on the subject just haven't searched around yet but thanks for adding your thoughts! I haven't seen any research published before on rain "washing" scent so curiosity hit in the middle of that post
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Tue May 23, 2017 12:33 am

A couple questions for the both of you:

What do you notice are some key mistakes "up and coming beasts" make once they understand the "basics" like proper routes,dont hunt the wrong wind and ability to find beds in whatever terrain we hunt?

When you guys are doing a scouting workshop, what kinds of things are you walking past and not really paying attention too that the others would stop and evaluate?

Mario, looking through old threads I can see a rapid progression in skills and kills. Can you compare what you were doing 5 years ago as to how much and how you scout now vs. Then?

Thanks fellas.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue May 23, 2017 4:15 am

Dan, I have heard you say in the past that you have scouted parcels a couple thousand acres in size in a few days, and on the 9 finger thread (I haven't listened to the podcast yet) someone mentioned you said you don't leave 10 acres unturned.

I assume covering lots of ground is simply speed scouting, and getting in depth is targeting a single buck, but could you go into greater detail of the whens, whys, and hows??

I think most of us could benefit by being more efficient.

Also anything you have to say about the details of "This is a bed I want to hunt.", vs "this is buck bedding but not one I'll key on."
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 am

If you are looking for another topic to talk about on a podcast, you might talk about doing deer drives and the thought process that actually goes into it. Some guys just "Drive timber" and set standers at the property line. This topic may appeal to many of the gun hunters that have no clue about the buck bedding tactics that you are talking about. Just a thought if you were looking for other topics...

I think if Dan and Mario went along on drives with some guys out there, they would be shaking their heads saying. "What is the strategy,? you guys haven't thought this out at all.." The other hunters would respond by saying "This is how we've done it for years. Some years we get lucky, most times we go home empty handed. "

Some things that may be obvious to someone experienced like Dan, may be something completely enlightening to others. You may want to draw it out to show how you would approach a certain area and where to position standers and pushers. So maybe a YouTube video to show a visual would help as well. Obviously safety is a factor and that would be nice to discuss as well .

This would be really interesting.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Tue May 23, 2017 9:53 am

Great questions guys! keep them coming! :D
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 am

I'd like to hear more about Beast rut hunting. I was just reading a thread about the rut in the all time best tactical threads where Dan and another member mentioned hunting spots that are overlooked and others would think they were crazy for hunting there. I would like to hear about some of these types of spots or anything rut related you would like to talk about. Thanks for doing this guys!
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Tue May 23, 2017 11:22 am

I would like to hear more about farm country buck hunting. Even the public near me is a lot of smallish timber blocks connected by fence row type cover and fields of either agriculture or 8ft tall scrub in the gaps. It reminds me of a crossword puzzle on an aerial map. Difficult to hunt bucks effectively.

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”