Requested info from my question in Mario and Dan Q and A podcast

• Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Requested info from my question in Mario and Dan Q and A podcast

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:54 am

Tufrthnails wrote: I got one spot that has three high points that will be dry, but I'm wading 18-24" water to get in there and the high spots at literally 10'x6' or so. I would say the water area is easily 5 acres. 3 times I've targeted this bed and all three times the wind dies and it seems the thermals have no rhyme or reason. I pop milk weed and it just floats in random directions until a breeze comes through and grabs it. Twice the buck was in the bed and got me before he got in bow range.

Just got done watching Q & A. I'd like to suggest this be an annual thing you guys do. I loved the video format. You asked for a little more info on my scenario in my question. Here goes. I think I might have a better idea of what is going on at least in once of the instances.
I got one spot that has three high points that will be dry, but I'm wading 18-24" water to get in there and the high spots at literally 10'x6' or so.
The buck is on the east most high point each time I have targeted him. The standing water is seasonal. The trees I am climbing are cypress trees and in the water generally during archery season. The canopy is super thick in this location. From google earth you cannot see in the canopy during any time of year. I actually found this spot because of a large pine that looked out of place on GE image. That pine is on a different high spot then the buck is bedding.

3 times I've targeted this bed and all three times the wind dies and it seems the thermals have no rhyme or reason. I pop milk weed and it just floats in random directions until a breeze comes through and grabs it.
I think I have a better understanding of hunting in water now that you explained the lift and decent depending on the temp of the water relative to air. I am planning to go out to this spot during off season and wait for an evening sit to see if I can use a little more milkweed and see if the exposed areas around the cypress hammock is what is creating a temp difference in the water the edges are definitely more shallow and although I haven't observed much of a pulling down of the thermal it may be something I can key in on to try to figure this out.

Twice the buck was in the bed and got me before he got in bow range.
The first encounter I believe you are right I was absolutely setup to close to the buck as I was only 55 yards from were he was bedding and quite possibly he could have seen some movement or heard something he didn't like because he didn't blow out he was heading in my general direction about 5 yards off the island stopped did his head bob thing then look away and back fast like he had seen or heard something he didn't like and then he walked away slow back across the island he was bedded in. the second time I encountered him I was about 100 yards away and I was toward the edge of the hammock I was hunting a cross wind he got up I heard him before I saw him he got to the edge of the hammock and was travelling just inside the tree line at around 60 yards he started lifting his nose and smelling the air and blew out of their like I had shot at him. Almost certain he winded me. Now I'm not sure if their was just enough scent pooling or if their was some kind of thermal tunnel with the exposed water and the covered water on that transition line. Have you seen anything like this? Any thing I should try? I would post and aerial, but this is fairly close to a parking area on heavily hunted public here. Also it just looks like an oval cypress hammock with some water around it surrounded by higher ground covered in Palmettos. The buck is a decent buck for around here and I know he is being hunted because I have seen his pic from other hunters but every one of them is a night pic.

I hope this is clear as mud!

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Requested info from my question in Mario and Dan Q and A podcast

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:31 am

You might have more than just thermals influencing air currents there... A lot of the time thick walls of vegetation can turn wind or cause swirling. Yes... I have seen lots of spots like that. There is probably a good reason the buck is bedding there and it has to do with his nose. The way I have been successful in that type of scenario is to find the sweet spot. Somewhere in there you gotta find a spot where your scent ain't pooling, its being pulled up, or going out the side, or whatever... Might take really thinking about wind flow in there, and hitting it on the exact wind you need, and testing with milkweed.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Requested info from my question in Mario and Dan Q and A podcast

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:41 am

dan wrote:You might have more than just thermals influencing air currents there... A lot of the time thick walls of vegetation can turn wind or cause swirling. Yes... I have seen lots of spots like that. There is probably a good reason the buck is bedding there and it has to do with his nose. The way I have been successful in that type of scenario is to find the sweet spot. Somewhere in there you gotta find a spot where your scent ain't pooling, its being pulled up, or going out the side, or whatever... Might take really thinking about wind flow in there, and hitting it on the exact wind you need, and testing with milkweed.

Thanks. I'll be giving the MW some hang time here in the next couple weeks I hope as I get a chance to scout a couple areas during the day then shoot over to that spot as the afternoon is dying down. Prob is lately we have rain from 3:30pm on for the next couple months pretty reg, but by late sep early oct that will have changed. I'm having fun just being in the game for the time being!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”