W2H w/ John Eberhart

• Advertisement

HB Store

Scratchman

Re: W2H w/ John Eberhart

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:14 am

elk yinzer wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:My biggest issue with JE is he tries to be on the everyday hunter’s side and shame the hunting industry gimmicks in one light. Turns around the next minute and forces the “you can’t kill big bucks with such and such doing yada yada” talk. The same talk the hunting industry uses to sell something. For instance, the talk about he CAN’T use tree stands where he hunts and that you CAN’T use them to hunt where wise old bucks live.....BS. My favorite thing about the beast is it preaches not limiting yourself. Think outside the box and get yourself in the game. I just think JE is a horrible listen for newer hunters looking for advice. In all honesty, I thought he was gonna make for a good listen in this one. That all changed when he started all the absolutes talk and that was where I shut it down.

Right on. Just an arrogant fellow. I would imagine he's been punched in the face a few times in his life the way he talks down to people. I listened to this, gave it a chance because I wanted to hear some of his saddle hunting input. There were some tidbits of him being himself then I had to turn it off when he started spouting off "you CAN'T kill mature bucks in security cover with a climber". I believe he went as far as to use the phrase "physically impossible". Ok buddy. That's enough. I get being convicted and even a little closed minded, but this guy takes it to a whole other level. Okayyyyy. Deep breaths.

On the saddle hunter podcast he talked about how his hunting mentor punched him in the face. Fellow named Leroy. Lol. Yes he has been punched in the face.

"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
SwampThing1980

Unread postby SwampThing1980 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:36 am

Agree or disagree with JE, his success in what he does is undeniable.. I think it’s fair to say, regardless of whether we approve of his methods and approach to scent control; he is ultra committed to his way of doing it. I envy that ability to stay committed that long..

I can’t speak for his reasons behind promoting the scentlok suits, or use of tree saddles; but I can most definitely admire commitment and effort. I don’t think anybody here or anywhere else will contest the fact that his scent control protocols take a massive amount of work? Are you putting this much effort into your hunting- whether it be for scent control, stealthy approach to stand location, out and in season scouting or even just time in the field?

Maybe this was not the intent; but to me some of the comments here to a certain extent come across as bashing JE. Perhaps I’m just misreading it -and if so, then please take this as my sincere apology. I don’t believe this is what we want or like to see on this forum—. Not doing this is what makes this group of hunters and forum so good and enjoyable.. at least for me..

I would respectfully ask that if we don’t have anything good to say about a hunter or his methods; perhaps we should continue to focus on the methods, not the hunter? Believe in scent control or not; that’s your choice..

I have all of Johns dvd’s And books. Personally, I found a lot of value in his stuff; albeit not as much as on this site from Dan and fellow beasts. I trust the same is true for all on this site; and as such let’s pleasecontinue that rather than discussing people’s personal traits, flaws or even reasons for doing certain things we don’t approve of.. such as arguably selling out to mainstream $$$.

JE has had a lot of influence on a lot of hunters, just like Dan and a lot of other folks in the hunting industry.. with the opposition against what seems to be all things outdoors (especially hunting) becoming stronger and stronger; it’s imperative that we focus on the positives of our sport and the camaraderie that it creates..

No matter who the hunter is, or what we believe; let’s respect them for their accomplishments; their commitment to the sport in their own way; and then Forge our own way through what we figure out from guys like Dan and JE.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:16 am

He held the muzzleloader record in Michigan for some years. It was a booner shot on public land. He shot it back in the 80s. I read the story long before I knew about the hunting beast. It was a beast hunt in true definition really. And that was before he used scent loc. My style is a combination of a few hunters. John Eberhart, Dan, and bill vale. I don’t use scent loc or a saddle tho. I agree John is arrogant. I think it made some people mad on how easy he says it is to kill trophy’s out of state.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:49 am

SwampThing1980 wrote:Agree or disagree with JE, his success in what he does is undeniable.. I think it’s fair to say, regardless of whether we approve of his methods and approach to scent control; he is ultra committed to his way of doing it. I envy that ability to stay committed that long..

I can’t speak for his reasons behind promoting the scentlok suits, or use of tree saddles; but I can most definitely admire commitment and effort. I don’t think anybody here or anywhere else will contest the fact that his scent control protocols take a massive amount of work? Are you putting this much effort into your hunting- whether it be for scent control, stealthy approach to stand location, out and in season scouting or even just time in the field?

Maybe this was not the intent; but to me some of the comments here to a certain extent come across as bashing JE. Perhaps I’m just misreading it -and if so, then please take this as my sincere apology. I don’t believe this is what we want or like to see on this forum—. Not doing this is what makes this group of hunters and forum so good and enjoyable.. at least for me..

I would respectfully ask that if we don’t have anything good to say about a hunter or his methods; perhaps we should continue to focus on the methods, not the hunter? Believe in scent control or not; that’s your choice..

I have all of Johns dvd’s And books. Personally, I found a lot of value in his stuff; albeit not as much as on this site from Dan and fellow beasts. I trust the same is true for all on this site; and as such let’s pleasecontinue that rather than discussing people’s personal traits, flaws or even reasons for doing certain things we don’t approve of.. such as arguably selling out to mainstream $$$.

JE has had a lot of influence on a lot of hunters, just like Dan and a lot of other folks in the hunting industry.. with the opposition against what seems to be all things outdoors (especially hunting) becoming stronger and stronger; it’s imperative that we focus on the positives of our sport and the camaraderie that it creates..

No matter who the hunter is, or what we believe; let’s respect them for their accomplishments; their commitment to the sport in their own way; and then Forge our own way through what we figure out from guys like Dan and JE.

:clap: Thank You
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:35 am

I feel bad for the guys who think you can’t learn something from either of these two guys. Both put out more information than they need to, and too many guys want to shove it back in their faces because of a small detail.

Both could be hermits and you would never have heard from them. Imagine where we would all be without guys like this helping us learn how to hunt. Because really, how many average guys who are also great hunters, have you heard about who haven’t gone outdoor channel mainstream. Most of the best hunters nobody knows about. And we would definitely know fewer without dan and John bringing this style of hunting to light.

Look at the walls for both of them. You don’t get those results by just being lucky. You would struggle to even buy success like that. If you don’t like something or somebody that’s fine, but as a deer hunter, I don’t see how you can’t respect what they both have done and accomplished as hunters.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:59 am

I have already gotten used to looking past his scentlock fanaticism, because there’s no way even the absolute best regimen will keep you scent free in the upper 90’s. And, I don’t have the time or money to put towards getting wverything needed.
BUT, he has a lot of good tactics in his books. He slowly shifted, over the years, to a rut hunter. I think it is safe to say that he owns that category. I don’t think he could hold a candle to Dan in early season, or late season. So, I tend to follow dan’s tactics primarily. I have found, though, that bucks don’t bed in single beds down here in North Texas, and they don’t lay down anywhere near the sign they do in Wisconsin. So, I heavily modify even Dan’s tactics.

One thing I think he did a poor job explaining, even though it was nearly half the podcast, was the benefits of the saddle. I switched to saddle hunting 2 seasons ago and I haven’t touched my Lone Wolf Assault II even once since. I use a modified SitDrag, and can roll the thing up and stick it in a pocket if I want to.

My go to run-n-gun setup has been wearing my SitDrag, having my linesman belt and tether in my small pack, and having linesman spurs strapped to the outside of my pack. My whole climbing method and saddle combined weigh significantly less than half of the Assault II, and are narrower than my shoulders. You couldn’t pay me to do a deep set with my stand anymore. I hope to end up with a set of Dan’s sticks for properties where I can’t use spurs, but I will never buy another stand again. I’m even planning on getting a second saddle for my 10 year old son for when I start dragging him into the woods in a couple years.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:40 am

Jared Scheffler owns the rut ;)
ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:41 am

SwampThing1980 wrote:Agree or disagree with JE, his success in what he does is undeniable.. I think it’s fair to say, regardless of whether we approve of his methods and approach to scent control; he is ultra committed to his way of doing it. I envy that ability to stay committed that long..

Good post
ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:42 am

Jonny wrote:Image

I feel bad for the guys who think you can’t learn something from either of these two guys. Both put out more information than they need to, and too many guys want to shove it back in their faces because of a small detail.

Both could be hermits and you would never have heard from them. Imagine where we would all be without guys like this helping us learn how to hunt. Because really, how many average guys who are also great hunters, have you heard about who haven’t gone outdoor channel mainstream. Most of the best hunters nobody knows about. And we would definitely know fewer without dan and John bringing this style of hunting to light.

Look at the walls for both of them. You don’t get those results by just being lucky. You would struggle to even buy success like that. If you don’t like something or somebody that’s fine, but as a deer hunter, I don’t see how you can’t respect what they both have done and accomplished as hunters.

I have learned from both. That is all I care about. Dan and JE are great hunters.
Jerry40
Facebook: jerryballs76@aol.com

Unread postby Jerry40 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:58 am

:clap: Well said!

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:29 am

ontario farmer wrote:

I have learned from both. That is all I care about. Dan and JE are great hunters.

This ^

That's why I think the public land challenge will be super interesting. I'm sure I will have a ton of takeaways from them and all the THP guys too for that matter.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
SEOHBB

Unread postby SEOHBB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:19 pm

Got all their books and videos and both have helped me on a personal level fielding my questions. My two favorite hunters out there. Guys that take their personal time to help others are hard to find. I have transformed my hunting because of these two guys.

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”