Elite Beast member podcast?!

• Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Elite Beast member podcast?!

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:37 pm

I think the hardest to explain (mush easier to show) but also one of the MOST important topics of "beast hunting" that is seldom discussed in a variety of terrain/habitats - is how to do in-season scouting for an evening set up without compromising the hunt. In some environments this is explained well (Ex Oak islands in cattails, hill country, etc...) but for a lot of other environments it is seldom mentioned. Not sure you can use a written question to explain this?
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:47 pm

I think the Q&A threads would be great.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:00 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Hunters that come to my mind for podcasts:

ANY Successful Northwoods/Bigwoods Hunter. I'm only familiar with a couple like Todd Havel and Hal Blood.

I'll second and third this. Successful big woods hunters who don't mind a little attention are such a rare thing to find.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 am

Lock, you’re all over what I was thinking. Good stuff. I might add to show pics of top 5 bucks or something like that.

I wouldn’t absolutely bog the person down on the initial questions. Would mostly use those as an avenue for members to figure out what that person might could help them with and let the questions open from there.
J.W.83

Unread postby J.W.83 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:27 am

I’ll throw one more question out there for consideration:
Before scouting a new prospective hunting area, explain the steps you go through with topo maps, aerials, etc to narrow down where you want to scout and hunt.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:44 pm

1) In detail, describe your hunting style.

2) What do you feel are the biggest keys to your success?

3) Which terrain types do you have available to you, which do you prefer to hunt, and why?

4) What advice would you give to someone who is just starting out with Beast tactics?

5) If you have one, what is your scent control routine?

6) On average, how much time do you spend scouting? Include all seasons applicable: winter, spring, summer, and in-season

7) When hunting bedding areas outside of rut, how close do you typically set up?

8) When scouting, what amount or what kind of sign tells you a certain bedding area is worth your time?

9) Are trail cameras an important part of your success? If they are, please describe the when's, where's, and why's of how you use them.

10) Name a few things you used to do in the deer woods that you rarely, if ever, do now.

11) Do you prefer morning hunts or evenings? Explain why. Also, is there a time frame during the season that you prefer either one?

12) What is your favorite time of year to hunt and why? (early season, pre-rut, rut, post-rut, late season)

13) If you hunt/travel out of state, what is the best advice you can give to those who are new to it?

14) Is calling an important part of your whitetail tactics? Why or why not?

15) What is the #1 thing that you feel you need to improve on?

16) What is an out of the box tactic that you use and have success with?

17) What was special about your most strategic kill?

18) How much emphasis do you put on cyber scouting, and what are the tell tale signs that clue you in on where to scout and hunt?

19) We all get that feeling when we know a kill is about to happen. What is the sign that you know tips the scales in your favor and you know that buck is
going to die?

20) In season scouting is a hot topic. How important is it to you, and more specifically, how close is too close regarding burning bedding or compromising future hunts?

21) If you have them handy, provide as many kill pics as you see fit. Details are welcome if you have the time!

Without further a due, here's the finalized list. It's late enough most of you won't see this until morning, but I'm going to take the liberty of nominating our first member.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Should be good :clap:
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 pm

I like it.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:50 am

PredatorTC is up to bat first. Should be a good one!

What do you guys think... one guy per week? Two guys? Everyone at once?? How fast do we want this to move along?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:29 am

Lockdown wrote:PredatorTC is up to bat first. Should be a good one!

What do you guys think... one guy per week? Two guys? Everyone at once?? How fast do we want this to move along?

I think for discussion purposes... one or two guys per wk would be good
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:18 am

I agree, 1 or 2. If one declines, there is another working on the questions.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:46 am

Lockdown wrote:PredatorTC is up to bat first. Should be a good one!

This is great! Thanks for taking the lead on it. One per week may be good, but maybe just play it by ear because there could be some really good follow-up discussions that spill well over a week. Perhaps, sending out a rough overall list of people you want to answer these questions in the order you're thinking might help. Kinda of like an agenda. If nothing else it would help the guys who'll be answering the questions prepare as they'll have a rough idea when they'll be up. Hope that makes sense.

Also, would it help to start a different thread to give it a fresh, clean start? Not sure if some members you wanted to answer the questions have stopped following this thread closely, but they may not realize that this is starting? I know there's plenty of threads on here, but a new thread that's titled differently since it's not a podcast anymore might help. Just my 2cents worth.

Thanks again! Looking forward to this.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:00 am

I don't think 2 a week would be a terrible idea. Keeps it moving and something interesting.

I agree with setting an agenda up so that whoever is "on deck" can be working on answers if they'd like to.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:12 am

Keep in mind some people might not have thst much spare time and answering 20 questions may take 2 or 3 weeks if they are putting in solid effort.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:34 am

I like the idea of notifying people ahead of time. Schedules get busy as we all know. And I don’t want to wait two weeks for a response any more than you guys do :lol:

Also a separate thread works fine for me since this was originally a podcast thread.

I’m thinking we’ll start with two guys the first week to get this rolling. We’ll see how long the threads stay active and if they start clogging up the active topics feed too much, we’ll slow down with them.

In the future members will get notice, for now we can start a few and if we have to wait then no big deal.

As mentioned PredatorTC is up already. Since I already chose, someone else can pick number two.

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”