Late season tactics

• Advertisement

HB Store

Swampmonsters

Late season tactics

Unread postby Swampmonsters » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:07 am

I am in farm country in s.w. wisco. The farm I can hunt has 25 acres of standing beans on it yet. I've shined this field a couple times looking for activity and havent seen much other than the neighborhood does. Being December I was hoping for some neighboring deer to even move in. Is it just to warm out for them to really hit the beans? I neighbor a sizable swamp and thought they would cross the river and maybe move closer to the food source. Just wondering what some of your thoughts are? Do they still have food sources in the swamp? I know there is a lot of corn available to pick through and not too froze down. New to the forum and looking for some late season insight. Thanks

OUBrew

Re: Late season tactics

Unread postby OUBrew » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:52 am

Swampmonsters wrote:I am in farm country in s.w. wisco. The farm I can hunt has 25 acres of standing beans on it yet. I've shined this field a couple times looking for activity and havent seen much other than the neighborhood does. Being December I was hoping for some neighboring deer to even move in. Is it just to warm out for them to really hit the beans? I neighbor a sizable swamp and thought they would cross the river and maybe move closer to the food source. Just wondering what some of your thoughts are? Do they still have food sources in the swamp? I know there is a lot of corn available to pick through and not too froze down. New to the forum and looking for some late season insight. Thanks

I think the warmer temps and lack of snow cover did us in this late season. The bigger bucks were just not moving to the food sources early enough and the feeding locations were not as centralized as the normally are. I had corn and standing beans available and I was getting bucks on camera coming to the fields much later than normal on higher temp days.

The cold snap we had Jan 2-3 up in western WI ignited some earlier movement but not for the bucks.

Just a tough late season this year.

Now onto scouting big buck beds....
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:56 am

OUBrew wrote:
Swampmonsters wrote:I am in farm country in s.w. wisco. The farm I can hunt has 25 acres of standing beans on it yet. I've shined this field a couple times looking for activity and havent seen much other than the neighborhood does. Being December I was hoping for some neighboring deer to even move in. Is it just to warm out for them to really hit the beans? I neighbor a sizable swamp and thought they would cross the river and maybe move closer to the food source. Just wondering what some of your thoughts are? Do they still have food sources in the swamp? I know there is a lot of corn available to pick through and not too froze down. New to the forum and looking for some late season insight. Thanks

I think the warmer temps and lack of snow cover did us in this late season. The bigger bucks were just not moving to the food sources early enough and the feeding locations were not as centralized as the normally are. I had corn and standing beans available and I was getting bucks on camera coming to the fields much later than normal on higher temp days.

The cold snap we had Jan 2-3 up in western WI ignited some earlier movement but not for the bucks.

Just a tough late season this year.

Now onto scouting big buck beds....

Completely agree. This has been my worst late season ever for deer movement during daylight.
Swampmonsters

Unread postby Swampmonsters » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feed back and confirming my thoughts. Good luck scouting this off season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”