Have you killed a mature buck late season(after Christmas) archery?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Yes(1 buck)
4%
Yes(more than 1 buck)
6%
No
87%
I can't pull back my bow when bundled up like the Michelin man
2%

Total votes: 95
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:11 am

I have not punched my buck tag yet this season and am targeting a specific 10 pointer. My only chance at this point is late season archery here which runs for 1 month after Christmas. Having said that, at this time of year, I know things get a lot harder in terms of getting a mature deer within 30-35 yards for a shot. So, I was wondering how many Beasts have had success at this time of year and what were factors of your successes?

Thanks!

thwack16
500 Club

Re: Have you killed a mature buck late season(after Christmas) archery?

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:52 am

I killed my avatar buck on Jan 18. Some 60+ days into our gun seasons. Granted it was our second rut and he was up cruising. I've also missed opportunities on a couple of really good deer in January. Typically I'm on a scrape line in the thickest cover I can find.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 pm

I put I can't shoot my bow cause I'm dressed like the Michilan man. Cause I've missed a couple. Extreme cold and snow is key. Travel routes to food sources, especially grains in ag fields if available.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:21 pm

I hope too this year I actually have two different archery quota hunts in Jan here in FL. I've never hunted with arch after Nov in FL.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:36 pm

I’ve never killed a mature buck after January 1st with a bow but I’ve had several close calls, so I would say I have had great success, just didn’t kill the buck, shot several doe in January and early February in Ohio, I plan on killing a mature buck after Christmas this year in Ohio with my bow. Hunt food sources, don’t intrude to far into the timber on bitter cold days since Nile digest or below and a high pressure is key. They have to eat.

Mike
Persistence pays!!!
adudeuknow

Unread postby adudeuknow » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:52 pm

been trying for a while. plenty of doe. haven't got close enough to a buck i have been after.
"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:19 am

MikePerry wrote:I’ve never killed a mature buck after January 1st with a bow but I’ve had several close calls, so I would say I have had great success, just didn’t kill the buck, shot several doe in January and early February in Ohio, I plan on killing a mature buck after Christmas this year in Ohio with my bow. Hunt food sources, don’t intrude to far into the timber on bitter cold days since Nile digest or below and a high pressure is key. They have to eat.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the input. What's the thinking on not getting too far into the timber? What's Nile Digest?

(For anyone who missed it here's an excellent article on Mike from WTH http://wiredtohunt.com/2017/05/02/diy-d ... ike-perry/ )
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:52 am

My avatar buck i killed new years eve. I have also killed a smaller 8pt after christmas. I have seen some dandies late season but have only had things come together on that big 10pt as far as mature bucks go.

The hardest part about killing a mature buck late season is finding a mature buck to kill. Once you locate one, its just a matter of time, if you play your cards right to at least get a sighting of him.

As much as i hate it this time of year because of the temperature, shining can be the fastest way to at least narrow things down to an area. Just make sure to bundle up :lol: Then you might be able to flood that area with cams or if you get snow, do some legwork to figure out where hes coming from. Gotta push that bedding as tight as you can.

Goodluck!
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:42 am

By the time Christmas comes I'm trying to spend time with family after being absent for most of the fall. With deer shedding and gun seasons over I'd rather spend time with family at this time.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:53 am

No cause I’m ice fishing by then. Only so much time in life and I eat lots of fish
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:33 am

Last day of season last year, Jan 7th I think, I had the biggest deer I had pics of come by. He smelled me just before he stepped into the opening. I wasnt aware enough of my setup and wind. That was pre-beast; he better not try that again this year :twisted:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:24 am

In the upper Midwest the last week of the season can be some of the best hunting of the year.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:35 am

dan wrote:In the upper Midwest the last week of the season can be some of the best hunting of the year.

I agree. Things are finally settled down from the gun seasons and the deer get back to more normal movement. If the weather cooperates and gives us some snow and cold weather it gets even better.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:48 am

I have not killed in the late season, but i do have some of my best big buck hunts and sightings this time of the year. And by late season i mean thanksgiving till jan. 18 closer in ky. Prior to the beast my hunting revolved around the rut and late season only! Like others the last two weeks of season is probably the best for feeding mature bucks for me. I have had enough encounters to make me wanna go hunt then. Like mike perry said i like those high pressure days after a front, hunting in ag fields. One other thing i try to key in on is greens, wheat, clover, and such right after it has been good and cold for a few days or snow, When the weather gets back into the low 40’s or so after highs have dipped below freezing for a few days, the deer pound green stuff like crazy late in the season!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:05 am

Never have. Tough thing here is it’s not uncommon for them to drop antlers by then. Had a couple half racks mid December on cam and a deer with a big thick neck and no headgear. Our deer are really concentrated late season though, which makes it easy to locate them. Hoping for the best the next couple weeks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”