Low Setups In Cedar Swamps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Babshaft
500 Club

Low Setups In Cedar Swamps

Unread postby Babshaft » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:21 am

I was out scouting a swamp today and found a great primary bedding area. What I didn't find was any good trees to setup in - so I thought. It's fairly thick, and I couldn't find a tree in the right spot that would let me get high enough to get out of sight. I did some searching on here and found a few threads about setups in thick swamps and it seems that beasts are setting up low in these conditions. I'm thinking 6' low.

Any advice to stay as concealed as possible? Any wind and thermal considerations? Any other options? Any threads I missed that could point me in the right direction?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Babshaft
500 Club

Re: Low Setups In Cedar Swamps

Unread postby Babshaft » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:54 am

I should've mentioned I'm looking for advice with the bow, not firearm.

Cheers
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:13 am

Babshaft wrote:I was out scouting a swamp today and found a great primary bedding area. What I didn't find was any good trees to setup in - so I thought. It's fairly thick, and I couldn't find a tree in the right spot that would let me get high enough to get out of sight. I did some searching on here and found a few threads about setups in thick swamps and it seems that beasts are setting up low in these conditions. I'm thinking 6' low.

Any advice to stay as concealed as possible? Any wind and thermal considerations? Any other options? Any threads I missed that could point me in the right direction?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Babs 5-6 foot high is fine as long as there is back cover and no scent pooling. I been hearing that temperatures are different in evergreens and scent likes to drop snd swirl. Like a pooling effect. Just try to keep that in mind
Imagine water going through there. But 6 feet high will work ive heard dan say he’s been in trees using one or two sticks Hope this helps brotha
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:16 am

A lot of my setups are in the 5-10 foot range, shot my biggest buck by weight 8 feet off the ground at ten yards, it was a close encounter to say the least.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:55 am

I actually prefer to be low, IMO it's a much easier shot, a deers lign of sight is 3 ft. The key to making it work is a predictable consistent wind. My fav set ups are 8ft up in a cedar tree. But I'm certain of the wind and where the deer should come from. But even if your not certain give it your best shot if your wrong learn from it and use that knowledge in later years
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:18 pm

Honestly, this place is amazing. Awesome boys, that's what I was hoping to hear!

headgear wrote:A lot of my setups are in the 5-10 foot range, shot my biggest buck by weight 8 feet off the ground at ten yards, it was a close encounter to say the least.

That sounds incredible! Did you conceal movement when his line of sight was blocked? Did you draw early and hold it? Any particular details that could help a newbie out?

TheBuckPsych wrote:
Babs 5-6 foot high is fine as long as there is back cover and no scent pooling. I been hearing that temperatures are different in evergreens and scent likes to drop snd swirl. Like a pooling effect. Just try to keep that in mind
Imagine water going through there. But 6 feet high will work ive heard dan say he’s been in trees using one or two sticks Hope this helps brotha

Thanks brother, I'll have to take Boogie's advice and only hunt it on a stronger consistent off wind. What do you think about staying off to the leeward side of the point so that my scent gets drawn down that direction? Am I on the right track?

Boogieman1 wrote:I actually prefer to be low, IMO it's a much easier shot, a deers lign of sight is 3 ft. The key to making it work is a predictable consistent wind. My fav set ups are 8ft up in a cedar tree. But I'm certain of the wind and where the deer should come from. But even if your not certain give it your best shot if your wrong learn from it and use that knowledge in later years

Awesome man, I'll need a stronger just off wind that'll be consistent. Thanks man!

I'm hoping that with a saddle in a big cedar, and a good guess on travel direction I should be able to get an opportunity. If not at least I'll learn something. Might even go the brown ghillie suit route just to see. Being even slightly elevated helps in a huge way.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:52 pm

I think that’s exactly what you gotta do wind is just off
Those evergreens are just wind bouncers though like a bumper in pinball
You should be fine though. If not oh well you learned for the next time where not to be
Good luck keep it up
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Babshaft wrote:Honestly, this place is amazing. Awesome boys, that's what I was hoping to hear!

headgear wrote:A lot of my setups are in the 5-10 foot range, shot my biggest buck by weight 8 feet off the ground at ten yards, it was a close encounter to say the least.

That sounds incredible! Did you conceal movement when his line of sight was blocked? Did you draw early and hold it? Any particular details that could help a newbie out?

TheBuckPsych wrote:

Thanks brother, I'll have to take Boogie's advice and only hunt it on a stronger consistent off wind. What do you think about staying off to the leeward side of the point so that my scent gets drawn down that direction? Am I on the right track?

Boogieman1 wrote:I actually prefer to be low, IMO it's a much easier shot, a deers lign of sight is 3 ft. The key to making it work is a predictable consistent wind. My fav set ups are 8ft up in a cedar tree. But I'm certain of the wind and where the deer should come from. But even if your not certain give it your best shot if your wrong learn from it and use that knowledge in later years

Awesome man, I'll need a stronger just off wind that'll be consistent. Thanks man!

I'm hoping that with a saddle in a big cedar, and a good guess on travel direction I should be able to get an opportunity. If not at least I'll learn something. Might even go the brown ghillie suit route just to see. Being even slightly elevated helps in a huge way.

In a cedar, I actually prefer a hang-on so u can leave the back cover branches. I just cut a hole were the stand goes, leave the rest and use lower limbs for steps. You disappear in the shadows in them suckers.. But whatever works for you. A strong wind in the perfect direction works, also I'm a fan of a light and variable wind after leaf drop it floats! If u r high enough on the ridge I hunt that situation with any direction wind. But like anything else every spot is diff. Good luck
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:45 pm

If you haven't already then listen to singing bridges Michigan swamps podcast...similar terrain for us ontario guys...I also wouldn't rule out hunting from the ground if it's a thick swamp...
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:06 pm

its easy enough to make some brushed in ground blinds pic spots where you can see the deer coming so you can be at full draw early. I like using a root ball from a blow down. I've also brushed trees in and hung stands 2 feet off the ground to get a better angle. also if you do the ground approach sit behind the tree and peak around to conceal movement. I do this even when gun hunting because it allows me to take a rested shot.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Kokes wrote:If you haven't already then listen to singing bridges Michigan swamps podcast...similar terrain for us ontario guys...I also wouldn't rule out hunting from the ground if it's a thick swamp...

Thanks for the help man, I appreciate it. I’ve listened to every podcast I can find with Scott Shawl in it. Not often there’s a guy of his caliber talking about Ontario whitetail hunting. I’ll give them a listen again to see what I’ve missed.

Any other podcasts in particular you’ve found help for the terrain here?

And I’m considering the ground as well. May give the grilled suit a try so I feel cool lol.
Last edited by Babshaft on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:02 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:its easy enough to make some brushed in ground blinds pic spots where you can see the deer coming so you can be at full draw early. I like using a root ball from a blow down. I've also brushed trees in and hung stands 2 feet off the ground to get a better angle. also if you do the ground approach sit behind the tree and peak around to conceal movement. I do this even when gun hunting because it allows me to take a rested shot.

Another good idea. Thanks ghoast!
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:05 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Babshaft wrote:Honestly, this place is amazing. Awesome boys, that's what I was hoping to hear!

TheBuckPsych wrote:

In a cedar, I actually prefer a hang-on so u can leave the back cover branches. I just cut a hole were the stand goes, leave the rest and use lower limbs for steps. You disappear in the shadows in them suckers.. But whatever works for you. A strong wind in the perfect direction works, also I'm a fan of a light and variable wind after leaf drop it floats! If u r high enough on the ridge I hunt that situation with any direction wind. But like anything else every spot is diff. Good luck

Never thought of that. Awesome idea. Thanks for the help!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:50 am

Babshaft wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:its easy enough to make some brushed in ground blinds pic spots where you can see the deer coming so you can be at full draw early. I like using a root ball from a blow down. I've also brushed trees in and hung stands 2 feet off the ground to get a better angle. also if you do the ground approach sit behind the tree and peak around to conceal movement. I do this even when gun hunting because it allows me to take a rested shot.

I make hundreds of the things every year they are great to have if your still hunting or tracking ill sit at them at end of the day till dark.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:37 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Babshaft wrote:

I make hundreds of the things every year they are great to have if your still hunting or tracking ill sit at them at end of the day till dark.

I took your advice and made a few today when I scouted the mirror point of the point I scouted yesterday. I've got 6 ground blinds on the opposite side of that point now. When the sign heats up next year, a buck should travel within shooting distance of one of them.

Thanks again for all the help brother!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”