WI winter severity index???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: WI winter severity index???

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:09 am

Cant guess on the critters but, probably means numbers (deer) are up a little because of a nicer winter, hopefully means better survival hence the predators.

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:53 am

I think they're wolves. The coyote's up here look stocky and short legged
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:55 am

Just read an article about Vilas County and they claim the deer/sq mile went from 14 in 2009 to 28 this year with the most recent population survey. Problem is the buck population has been taking a huge hit recently. Every spike and fork has been hammered because people want "their" buck. The age structure is now way out of wack due to this and mature bucks are extremely rare now. They are talking about getting away from buck only this coming season and giving out antlerless tags just to take some pressure off the young bucks and let them get some age on them. I'm all for it as long as they don't go crazy with it. 3 years of mild winters has really boosted the herd and hate to see it wiped out again.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:53 pm

Dewey wrote:Just read an article about Vilas County and they claim the deer/sq mile went from 14 in 2009 to 28 this year with the most recent population survey. Problem is the buck population has been taking a huge hit recently. Every spike and fork has been hammered because people want "their" buck. The age structure is now way out of wack due to this and mature bucks are extremely rare now. They are talking about getting away from buck only this coming season and giving out antlerless tags just to take some pressure off the young bucks and let them get some age on them. I'm all for it as long as they don't go crazy with it. 3 years of mild winters has really boosted the herd and hate to see it wiped out again.

Yeah I hear you on that Dewey. I hate the thought of pushing a antler restriction into Wisconsin, but I think everyone could benefit from it. I do like michigans way over Pennsylvania but I haven't hunted either state. So my opinion on one over another means nothing really.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:08 am

I think they're mature coyotes. Honestly, I dont even see wolves. I didn't see any tracks this year in the mud at all. All this talk about wolves and I never seen one. My sister did and she said it was HUUUUGGEEE. She said , it was not even a question , it was a wolf. Awfull big coyotes though and bigger than anything I've seen in Washington co. that's for sure. The black tail still sais yote but I'm sure a wolf can have a black tail. I think the hair hangs down on the tail of a wolf. These seem to have fuzzy fur. I wish I had some better pics. And also, as much as I hate antler restrictions, I would go for it. I alway believed too many young bucks get shot over corn up north, and figured banning corn would make young bucks get less pressure from everyone trying to fill a tag. Antler restrictions would really make getting a buck up there even harder. I almost never see a 2.5 yr old buck, but much of the reason is cause neighbors with 200 ac. across the road hunt over corn and shoot everything with a 3" horn and they get quite a few each year. The chances of them getting caught are slim to none with call in registration now days. Lets just say the warden knows that deer camp very well. So yes , it would hurt me , but I would go with 3 points on one side. That would be 2 1/2 yr old buck almost always.
Steve Heiting
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steve.heiting.5

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:37 am

Dewey wrote:Just read an article about Vilas County and they claim the deer/sq mile went from 14 in 2009 to 28 this year with the most recent population survey. Problem is the buck population has been taking a huge hit recently. Every spike and fork has been hammered because people want "their" buck. The age structure is now way out of wack due to this and mature bucks are extremely rare now. They are talking about getting away from buck only this coming season and giving out antlerless tags just to take some pressure off the young bucks and let them get some age on them. I'm all for it as long as they don't go crazy with it. 3 years of mild winters has really boosted the herd and hate to see it wiped out again.

Dewey, I think it's more than the spikes and forks getting whacked the past few years. Our buck herd is still suffering from the bad winters of 2012-13 and 2013-14.

Not only did those winters kill a lot of our bucks, but those that will/would be 3.5 YO this fall are/were the ones born in the spring of 2014 ... and fawn survival wasn't very good in spring 2014. I really don't think we'll start seeing a noticeable increase in the amount of nicer bucks in the northwoods until 2018, when the fawns of 2015 reach 3.5 YO.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:52 am

Steve Heiting wrote:

Dewey, I think it's more than the spikes and forks getting whacked the past few years. Our buck herd is still suffering from the bad winters of 2012-13 and 2013-14.

Not only did those winters kill a lot of our bucks, but those that will/would be 3.5 YO this fall are/were the ones born in the spring of 2014 ... and fawn survival wasn't very good in spring 2014. I really don't think we'll start seeing a noticeable increase in the amount of nicer bucks in the northwoods until 2018, when the fawns of 2015 reach 3.5 YO.

I agree those winters were devastating. It's gonna take some time to rebuild yet. Good to see the amount of does with twins the last few years and even saw one with triplets up by Boulder Junction last June. It's amazing how the herd can rebound after a stretch of mild winters. Problem is the predators are eating better too. That's always the limiting factor up there. Looking forward to buck numbers increasing again. Until then we just need to put in more work than the next guy searching for those older bucks. They are out there but it's never easy for sure. That's what I love about the northwoods.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:06 am

Steve Heiting wrote:

We are seeing the same here in NW Ontario. Those were devastating years. I saw the most mature bucks ever in that 2013 hunting season but the die-off was dramatic. I couldn't even find a mature buck to hunt in 2014 and I had only one I knew of in 2015 (which I killed last year). I saw lot more big tracks this year than the past two years. I am hoping this third year of mild winters will affect a population rise similar to those after the '95 and '96 winters that were also followed by easier winters.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:10 am

Dhurtubise wrote:
Steve Heiting wrote:

We are seeing the same here in NW Ontario. Those were devastating years. I saw the most mature bucks ever in that 2013 hunting season but the die-off was dramatic. I couldn't even find a mature buck to hunt in 2014 and I had only one I knew of in 2015 (which I killed last year). I saw lot more big tracks this year than the past two years. I am hoping this third year of mild winters will affect a population rise similar to those after the '95 and '96 winters that were also followed by easier winters.

I remember those winters in the 90's well. The amount of dead deer I found in the UP while spring scouting was staggering. Hope I never witness that again. The herd up there still hasn't rebounded from that. Northern WI fared much better and within 5 years the herd was very healthy again.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:28 am

Giving this one a bump, pretty mild winter up here in MN until a couple weeks ago, we've seen 33-35 inches since then. Still if spring comes at a reasonable time it shouldn't be too hard on the deer. Come on warm weather, the population was just starting to rebound. :pray:
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:33 am

headgear wrote:Giving this one a bump, pretty mild winter up here in MN until a couple weeks ago, we've seen 33-35 inches since then. Still if spring comes at a reasonable time it shouldn't be too hard on the deer. Come on warm weather, the population was just starting to rebound. :pray:

Easy winter here in this part of maine. 3rd winter in a row. I have been bare ground scouting off and on all winter. Last year, the amount of good bucks on cam were some of the best I have ever seen. It's good to see.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:39 pm

Phillips , Wisconsin has 23 " right now but last week it only had 14". The temps are going to be 40 degrees this week. If we can get rid of the snow in a few weeks the deer will be ok. No doubt we will loose some deere though. If we knock off the doe harvest just one more yr we will see a better deer season. I said that last yr however and had the worst year in 20 yrs. We didn't see a single deer last year.
Steve Heiting

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:47 am

ihookem wrote:Phillips , Wisconsin has 23 " right now but last week it only had 14". The temps are going to be 40 degrees this week. If we can get rid of the snow in a few weeks the deer will be ok. No doubt we will loose some deere though. If we knock off the doe harvest just one more yr we will see a better deer season. I said that last yr however and had the worst year in 20 yrs. We didn't see a single deer last year.

Snow depths are around 20" in the woods behind my house near Minocqua, WI, and at my deer camp in Ashland County. We were sailing along until we got 7" Feb. 22 and 6" on the 24th. The deer I've seen near home have been able to move about but are bounding to do so, which saps a lot of energy. They have just started yarding near my deer camp.

Here are the WSI numbers for Wisconsin through January. (February has not yet been reported.) http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat ... siest2.pdf

The highest numbers were at Gile and Mercer, at 31. Most of the WSI points through January were from cold (below zero) days, which is better than deep snow because the deer can still get to food sources. That's changed with the new snow, so I'm hoping for as many 40-degree-plus days we can get!
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Steve , sounds like an average winter? The snow is settling a little bit. It sounds like the highs will be about 40 degrees for several more days and that is good. Just a solid thaw without 4" of rain or something stupid.
Steve Heiting

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:24 am

ihookem wrote:Steve , sounds like an average winter? The snow is settling a little bit. It sounds like the highs will be about 40 degrees for several more days and that is good. Just a solid thaw without 4" of rain or something stupid.

I sure hope so. March can be brutal if we get lots of snow. The below zero stuff is probably done for the year, and we don't need any more snow. It's time for wait and see ...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”