Who do you think is a better hunter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

First Sit

Re: Who do you think is a better hunter?

Unread postby First Sit » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:46 am

I realize the question is about which is harder but the thing that impresses me the most is where it was taken. Lots of guys now a days pay tons of money to be guided in the best areas for big Whitetails such as Eastern CO parts of Texas etc. Do they have skill? Probably not nearly the next of some guy in Michigan whos killing 100"-130" bucks annually on public. But because he hasn't killed a whopper noone gives him a look. Those guys shelling out the mucho dollar are killing some of the biggest bucks though? You can buy a big whitetail but you can't buy skill, its where it was taken and was it on your own. Same goes for a lot of things you see guys shelling out $250,000 for a governor tag for Elk or Muley to kill the best animals in the state and paying 15 guys to scout for em while they just show up once located and shoot it then get a money shot on some mag with a 250" muley or 400" bull.

To further point out how ridiculous it is to compare some kills in the B&C book to others. I know a guy who lives and hunts in Texas on a club ranch its high fenced on 2 sides other 2 boarder other big whitetail properties. They do helecopter flyovers couple times a year and are told what specific bucks they can shoot. They cannot shoot 190"+ deer if they are not over 5.5yrs old. Most of the deer they are able to shoot are 190"+ and they sit in these gun houses over feeding lanes and feeders about 100-200 yds out. They take 1 or 2 B&C bucks annually off the ranch but those guys wouldn't be able to shoot a 1.5yr old on public anywhere in WI, IL, IN, MI, they are just farming deer but have very little actual knowledge of how to read sign and hunt.

To answer the orignial question I'd say bow is harder to get close and doing it consistantly is just pure skill.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:01 am

Which guy gives back to help other hunters become better. The best players don't have the best stats, they help everybody around them become better.

I'll use Dan as an example. I don't see him as a great hunter because of the wall of bucks to his name. I see him as a great hunter because he teaches everybody else around him to be better hunters. The buck lineup each year is a testament to that, and the amount of guys on here who are downright killers and really have developed because of the beast shows how greatness can be spread and used to help others instead of pushing yourself and your products. You can shoot great bucks every year but what good is that if you don't have any desire to help others get better.

Just my opinion. I also think the bow kills are slightly more impressive than gun if that is the only information given, as an answer to the original question. Time of year, location, etc would change that decision.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:50 am

When it comes to killing B&C bucks, why is it any harder than killing any other mature deer? Just because they aren't as common doesn't mean they are any smarter than any other buck that gets some age on him. I've never understood how a lot of people think that a buck with a giant rack is that much more elusive than any other buck. Maybe it's because they become somewhat of a legend sometimes by locals? I'm not really sure. Anyways, I would tend to think that any bowhunter that is killing the same amount of mature bucks as a gun hunter is probably more skilled at killing big bucks. Not saying he's a better hunter, because of all the things that can be considered for that, but to get within 30 yards of a mature buck and get him killed is totally different than getting within 150 yards of a mature buck.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 am

The guy with the humble spirit wins. That guy is the better hunter.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:46 am

mainebowhunter wrote:The guy with the humble spirit wins. That guy is the better hunter.

Agreed Maine. I always wonder how many great deer hunters, and big buck killers are out there that we don't know about. Guys that just go about their business and keep getting the job done year in and year out without ever seeking any kind of recognition other than the self satisfaction of getting the job done.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:14 am

headgear wrote:Regaurdless of the difficulty of shot I feel it takes more skill to get a BC buck into bow range and get off a quality shot on him. Now there might be special circumstances where a gun hunter has an amazing hunt and does something 99% of the hunters out there could not do but on average I will give the nod to the bow hunter.

You would be hard pressed for me to say it isn't harder with a bow. I agree with you 99.9 %
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 am

Stanley wrote:
headgear wrote:Regaurdless of the difficulty of shot I feel it takes more skill to get a BC buck into bow range and get off a quality shot on him. Now there might be special circumstances where a gun hunter has an amazing hunt and does something 99% of the hunters out there could not do but on average I will give the nod to the bow hunter.

You would be hard pressed for me to say it isn't harder with a bow. I agree with you 99.9 %

I’m a much better hunter with the bow. Been gun hunting for 35 years and never killed a big buck. My largest is a basket racked 7 pointer. Not from lack of effort either. Just a prime example of how location can make or break a hunter. Where I gun hunt in extreme northern WI large bucks are pretty rare and a large factor to my low success on them. B&C I would say my odds are much better with the bow only because of location. Put a guy in a target rich environment and the weapon will not matter.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:01 am

Dewey wrote:
Stanley wrote:

I’m a much better hunter with the bow. Been gun hunting for 35 years and never killed a big buck. My largest is a basket racked 7 pointer. Not from lack of effort either. Just a prime example of how location can make or break a hunter. Where I gun hunt in extreme northern WI large bucks are pretty rare and a large factor to my low success on them. B&C I would say my odds are much better with the bow only because of location. Put a guy in a target rich environment and the weapon will not matter.

I presume if you chose to gun hunt in the marshes you bowhunt in, you would probably have a different story. To me if you replaced "best" with "most-skilled", there is no need to overthink this. Assuming all other variables are the same, there really isn't an argument to be made against the bowhunter. If you want to introduce all kinds of other variables, it breaks down. but not sure that was the intent of the original post. Better person is a whole different discussion, imo.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Kraftd wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Stanley wrote:

I presume if you chose to gun hunt in the marshes you bowhunt in, you would probably have a different story. To me if you replaced "best" with "most-skilled", there is no need to overthink this. Assuming all other variables are the same, there really isn't an argument to be made against the bowhunter. If you want to introduce all kinds of other variables, it breaks down. but not sure that was the intent of the original post. Better person is a whole different discussion, imo.

Your right. I got way off track on this thread. :oops:

Oh yeah....I tried the marsh thing gun hunting. Just not my style. Much better there with a bow due to much lower hunting pressure. Feel like I can function so much better and have much more control over what happens.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:47 pm

SplitG2 wrote:IMO they're equal, too many variables on both sides of the fence to make a comparison. Plus I know many including myself that gun hunt the exact same way they bow hunt. I also feel no less of a man or no less accomplished if I shoot one with a gun as if I shot one with a bow.

Nobody is questioning manhood here, both Hunters are putting quality animals on the ground. But in your circumstance, hunting the exact same way regardless of the weapon that you carry, wouldn't you say that the added shot distance that your gun gives you over your bow makes for a more challenging kill with the bow?

Do you set up maybe a tad bit further back than you would if you were bow hunting when you have your gun in hand, even if you're still hunting the same way?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 pm

First Sit wrote:I realize the question is about which is harder but the thing that impresses me the most is where it was taken. Lots of guys now a days pay tons of money to be guided in the best areas for big Whitetails such as Eastern CO parts of Texas etc. Do they have skill? Probably not nearly the next of some guy in Michigan whos killing 100"-130" bucks annually on public. But because he hasn't killed a whopper noone gives him a look. Those guys shelling out the mucho dollar are killing some of the biggest bucks though? You can buy a big whitetail but you can't buy skill, its where it was taken and was it on your own. Same goes for a lot of things you see guys shelling out $250,000 for a governor tag for Elk or Muley to kill the best animals in the state and paying 15 guys to scout for em while they just show up once located and shoot it then get a money shot on some mag with a 250" muley or 400" bull.

To further point out how ridiculous it is to compare some kills in the B&C book to others. I know a guy who lives and hunts in Texas on a club ranch its high fenced on 2 sides other 2 boarder other big whitetail properties. They do helecopter flyovers couple times a year and are told what specific bucks they can shoot. They cannot shoot 190"+ deer if they are not over 5.5yrs old. Most of the deer they are able to shoot are 190"+ and they sit in these gun houses over feeding lanes and feeders about 100-200 yds out. They take 1 or 2 B&C bucks annually off the ranch but those guys wouldn't be able to shoot a 1.5yr old on public anywhere in WI, IL, IN, MI, they are just farming deer but have very little actual knowledge of how to read sign and hunt.

To answer the orignial question I'd say bow is harder to get close and doing it consistantly is just pure skill.

I must agree totaly. Bro

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:58 am

Last edited by <DK> on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 am

Jonny wrote:Which guy gives back to help other hunters become better. The best players don't have the best stats, they help everybody around them become better.

I'll use Dan as an example. I don't see him as a great hunter because of the wall of bucks to his name. I see him as a great hunter because he teaches everybody else around him to be better hunters. The buck lineup each year is a testament to that, and the amount of guys on here who are downright killers and really have developed because of the beast shows how greatness can be spread and used to help others instead of pushing yourself and your products. You can shoot great bucks every year but what good is that if you don't have any desire to help others get better.

Just my opinion. I also think the bow kills are slightly more impressive than gun if that is the only information given, as an answer to the original question. Time of year, location, etc would change that decision.

mainebowhunter wrote:The guy with the humble spirit wins. That guy is the better hunter.

Agreed
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:47 am

Dewey wrote:
Kraftd wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Your right. I got way off track on this thread. :oops:

Oh yeah....I tried the marsh thing gun hunting. Just not my style. Much better there with a bow due to much lower hunting pressure. Feel like I can function so much better and have much more control over what happens.

Yeah, your big woods rifle season trips seem like a blast. My kids are just too little for me to put the time and travel into that now, but its on my list. Hopefully the numbers rebound a little. Spent a lot of time up there fishing and grouse hunting in the past. I think too, assuming same varables, how many monsters would you have dead if you could rut hunt the marsh with a rifle!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”