Who do you think is a better hunter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Who do you think is a better hunter?

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:27 am

bump
This looks like a fun pot to stir back up! :D

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:35 am

I would say out to 40 yards they would be equal, however, the further away you can get (all things being Equal), the less challenging evading the nose, eyes and ears of the deer becomes.
In my opinion, the bow hunter's need to consistently beat these 3 deer defenses makes for the "better" hunter.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:47 am

Depends... Does one take young hunters out? Does one give back? How many B&C a person has on the wall has nothing to do with who is a better hunter or person. It might have something to do with which one is more skilled, but better? Even skilled wise, its not apples to apples. Where your hunting, how much you spend, and your personal blockaids such as age, health, work, etc. All have a huge impact on success. A guy or gal can have a lot more skill, and still not have a better looking wall.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:00 am

consistency is the better hunter not the tool used both gun and bow have there challenges but if you can get on deer every year and get opportunities you have my attention. also east coasters don't get to see 150 bucks very often so if you killed five your not human or very lucky.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:09 am

focus on your personal goals and don't ever allow yourself to peak. I see anybody that pushes themselves to be better as a equal. 8-)
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:26 am

IMO they're equal, too many variables on both sides of the fence to make a comparison. Plus I know many including myself that gun hunt the exact same way they bow hunt. I also feel no less of a man or no less accomplished if I shoot one with a gun as if I shot one with a bow.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:36 am

I tend to give the nod to archery equipment. Yes finding a buck takes talent or a great bit of luck. But those last seconds of a hunt, having to move and get in position, draw on a close animal and execute a good shot is what I think of when I think of hunting skill.
In my case of having a 2 month gun season and the ability to hunt everyday of the season if I chose. Taking one with a gun would leave me feeling empty. With that kinda range and time, there's no need to scout or anything else. I could sit in my box blind eating pecan pie sipping hot cocoa and sooner or later a buck is gonna make a mistake.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:42 am

I think that kid with the video of him catching one bare handed is the best hunter. Anyone can get within 20 yds and shoot them with a bow.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:48 am

I really dont care who is better than who its not what im about and never will be. It should never be a im better than you cause it then gets to be an ego thing.
Well once it becomes an ego thing it becomes a job and enjoyment is lost. Your constantly working on being better than everyone else. An eternal uphill battle.
There will also be someone bigger badder and smarter than any single person except the good lord himself
Just to get a b&c in sight range is an achievement in itself
I will leave this thread at that
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:42 am

I don't like the words "better hunter". That could mean a thousand different things. But I do know the number of big bucks has nothing to do with being a better hunter, no matter the weapon.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:09 am

Id just like to kill one!!
Make It Happen
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:15 am

brancher147 wrote:I don't like the words "better hunter". That could mean a thousand different things. But I do know the number of big bucks has nothing to do with being a better hunter, no matter the weapon.

I agree! We all hunt diff areas, have diff obligations that limit our time, have diff goals, hunt for diff reasons and pleasures. I just find it weird hunters will say private is easier than public but when it comes to weaponry if it's something they use its hold on hunting is hunting. Does a guy who uses a scoped rifle on public have harder times than a guy on private with a bow? Who knows and I personally don't care. Some have gravy private access others private is worse then public. I feel it's harder to kill a deer with a bow than something u can stay still and pull a trigger. But having fun and giving it your best shot is what counts no matter weapon or status of property. In any case more hunters fail than succeed in reguards to mature bucks IMO.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
HELENVILLEHUNTER

Unread postby HELENVILLEHUNTER » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:27 am

I agree with what most guys are saying and that there are just too many variables. For me personally, it would be harder to get 5 bucks
with the gun than it would be with the bow. There are many reasons I say that but for the way I hunt and hunting solely in Wisconsin
again I believe this is true.

1. I can hunt the first couple days of the bow season and try to catch a buck in his summer pattern.
2. I can hunt the best part of the rut, which for me is late October until the start of the Wisconsin gun season.
3. A lot of my gun season success or lack of success is dependent on what the hunters on the neighboring properties are doing.
4. Pressure during gun season can get intense and I dont hunt a big enough property where deer will continue moving all season.
5. Deer drives during the gun season are a thing of the past for me after a bullet hit the tree I was standing next too. If we did
more drives the chances of getting a big buck would be better during the gun season. I have no problem with drives or anyone
who does them, we have just decided not to do them on our property with our kids.

My hats off to anyone that puts B@C bucks on the ground.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:13 am

Since a Boone and Crockett means it was recorded in the B & C book it is a simple question to answer - check the B&C book - Gun by far. Everything else being equal - it is far easier to kill a B&C buck with a gun provided you are efficient with your weapon.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Since a Boone and Crockett means it was recorded in the B & C book it is a simple question to answer - check the B&C book - Gun by far. Everything else being equal - it is far easier to kill a B&C buck with a gun provided you are efficient with your weapon.

Excellent point!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”