How do you hunt the rut?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How do you hunt the rut?

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:23 am

Bucky wrote:I hunt high in ridges and focus on terrain in relation to doe bedding groups... I don't even need to see trails (I rarely see a mature buck use a "doe" trail)... they use terrain to check doe trails efficiently as possible

Right on, it don't get discussed much on here, but when hunting cruising bucks in rut a lot of my best spots don't have much for rub's or trails, im setting up like Bucky, based on the terrain.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:22 am

Give me a refresher. What terrain? And how they relate!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:25 am

stash59 wrote:Give me a refresher. What terrain? And how they relate!

Top 3rd elevation, corners, pinch points, funnels, transition edges, etc.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:40 am

Read Mapping Trophy Whitetails.... best deer hunting book I have ever read by FAR
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:47 am

Got it in the mail last month. Waiting for big bro to build me a stand to hold books so I can read them. Did page through and look at the pics and diagrams.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:15 am

stash59 wrote:Got it in the mail last month. Waiting for big bro to build me a stand to hold books so I can read them. Did page through and look at the pics and diagrams.

Damn - that sounds rough
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:19 am

dan wrote:
stash59 wrote:Give me a refresher. What terrain? And how they relate!

Top 3rd elevation, corners, pinch points, funnels, transition edges, etc.

The most distilled down and to the point tip on the whole site. Awesome.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:38 pm

I like to hunt urban spots where you have a neighborhood or homes very close by to block deer in one side...if you find an area that is a ridge top or crop field on the other side of the woods you be in rut heaven. Only takes about 75 to 100 yard strips of woods to focus the deer and still hold them.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:48 am

when you guys hunt DW of a doe bedding area, how far down are you going or are you still staying close to he 1/3
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:16 am

bump
Debo03

Unread postby Debo03 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:25 am

Bucky wrote:I hunt high in ridges and focus on terrain in relation to doe bedding groups... I don't even need to see trails (I rarely see a mature buck use a "doe" trail)... they use terrain to check doe trails efficiently as possible

Low I focus on water - creeks, rivers, ponds and terrain pinches and parrallel trails in relation to doe bedding groups

When I hunted public more I focused on pressure and getting as far away from it as possible

Bucky,

Can you elaborate on when you would hunt Low? assuming this is hill country ..

I've got a sweet water hole that would be a prime spot for warm rut weather but its surrounded by big ridges and I've always been afraid to hunt it because every time I've been in there the wind swirls.
Graham_van

Unread postby Graham_van » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:30 am

Depends on where I'm hunting, down here in texas (east texas piney woods) its a matter of hunting edge where the does bed. Find some cover near stands of white oaks where the does are and bucks will cruise by.

I also hunt Kansas, and in Kansas its all about cover. Find a hot cover transition area and sit all day. Anything can happen in Kansas.
Can't kill em if they aren't there
Graham_van

Unread postby Graham_van » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:31 am

mheichelbech wrote:I like to hunt urban spots where you have a neighborhood or homes very close by to block deer in one side...if you find an area that is a ridge top or crop field on the other side of the woods you be in rut heaven. Only takes about 75 to 100 yard strips of woods to focus the deer and still hold them.

Urban areas can be super hot during the rut. find a wood lot with does and you will be sure to have some luck.
Can't kill em if they aren't there
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Downwind of field edges and inbetween doe bedding.
How about beaver ponds as funnels. Do you notice bucks crossing on the dams or just downstream.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:50 pm

I hunt mostly in farm country. I have a couple good spots that are fence rows that connect two big pieces of timber. I've shot many bucks hunting these spots. Nothing over 3.5 tho. Like dan said the mature bucks still need to be hunted in bedding areas during the rut in heavy pressure areas. I've laid eyes on a few in heavy cover and they pace back and forth because they won't expose themselves in daylight. I've set up on bucks the next day after observing this and they are gone. Never to be seen again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”