Private vs. public. It's not always that simple!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Private vs. public. It's not always that simple!

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:39 pm

I would say that descent private is hands down better than higher quality public. Being able to manipulate a property, controll pressure and strategize is a huge advantage IMO. However, I don't believe most who have this ability truly utilize it. More often than not it has become a money game cramming as many leasers on a property as humanly possible. Atvs are driven all over the place, baiting runs rampid throwing off natural movement. Plus due to the high cost of the lease they feel obligated to shoot something which is usually the younger bucks. I refuse to pay to hunt such a scenario, But I do enjoy those tiny pieces of private I get to myself.

In any case I don't think it makes a hoot. You hunt whatever you can. Be it the burbs, your back 40, lease or 10,000 acres of public. The important thing is u have a place to hunt. When you start caring about what is easier, better, or things aren't fair and complaining how you got it harder your only sucking the fun out of it. End of the day your still hunting the same woods so might as well have fun with it. Happy Hunting!

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
cspot
500 Club

Re: Private vs. public. It's not always that simple!

Unread postby cspot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:27 pm

I agree that it is not that simple and I see private land that gets more pressure than public. I know myself that I am guilty of overhunting private even though there is nearby public that gets less pressure. Something that I am changing this year with the way that I hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”