Activated carbon fraud

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Re: Activated carbon fraud

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:15 pm

The hunting industry has some definite problems right now. It is full of gizmo/gadget pushers that want to get-rich-quick and will do it at any expense. I can agree with what they wanted to accomplish (eliminate scent), but scientifically it just isn't feasible. The problem is most folks want the shortcuts and don't want to work to get it. I bought one of the original green scent-lok suits way back when....call me a sucker!

PLH

Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:57 pm

I also have completely stopped buying carbon activated clothing. I like to focus much more on moisture wicking garments that keep you dry and not sweaty, many of you know how stinky you can get creeping through a swamp over a mile, especially in early season
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:31 am

Bump :D
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:56 am

I smell no matter what I do. I except that and try to play the wind. This site has open my eyes on playing the wind better. The bucks nose can set check a filed for hot does from 100-200 yards away. That is impressive. I will not fool my self that I cant beat his nose.
I also had a fella at a hunting show demonstrating a hunting suit. Once he put it on I could still smell his aftershave or something. Once I pointed it out he got really defensive and belittled me. He said that he does not wear after shave while he hunts and my concerns are not valid. I made up my mind once and for all at that time. "No carbon suits for this me."
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:15 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Bump :D

Insert "stirring the pot" Emoji here. :D
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:09 am

Beautiful bump. :lol:
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:41 am

So what ever happened with this?
Did that original group of guys ever win their law suit?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:08 am

Nice bump, Boogie :D

Satisfaction of the hunt doubled when I quit scent control.
Last season I don’t know how many times I set my gear next to the tail pipe then started my vehicle :lol: Whoops. Fanny pack, hat n gloves, stand, bow, sometimes my extra clothes. Didn’t bother me at all. I even laughed about it.

So yeah that’s my scent control routine. Do my best to not set my gear down in the exhaust stream.
ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:14 am

Hatchetman wrote:So what ever happened with this?

They lost from what I understand. If anyone wants to hear the other side of the story. Look here

http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/i ... arbon.897/

This link is only for the open minded. A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.

Carbon filters are used for water filtration, gas masks, and a host of other things. and I know my scent lok clothes don't smell like body odor after wearing them several times.
I am using the Beast method's and scent lok. Hopefully this site allows for freedom of expression - a right in the Great USA
There is a rutgers study that was used in court and the original guys lost the suit.

John and Dan do agree controlling your scent is important. One controls it one way and the other another way. Both are successful hunters and that is very hard to deny. I like to listen to both and I am not sure why all the personal attacks are necessary. Disagree without malice. The Canadian and a gentlemans way to argue.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 am

Mountain Man wrote:
NatureBoy wrote:
Swampthing wrote:...the most faith I ever had in any 1 hunter was John Eberhart.And he lived by SCENTLOCK clothing and highly supported it,to him it was as important as the bow he shot his deer with....

It's true, John really does push Scentlok. He also typically hunts very high, 25' minimum, performs a complete scent reduction routine, and plays the wind whenever possible. You'll notice in his books and DVD's that, although he clearly states his belief in the product, he doesn't claim that it eliminates human scent. He uses words like, "reduce" to describe it. Like Dan always says, you'd have be in a plastic bubble to completely contain all human scent.

Seems like everyone we look up to endorses something, and I believe in John's case, he sincerely believes in the product, just like a lot of guys here...

I just want to point out that even though John uses it and believes it works to some degree, you need to know (and maybe you do) that his son Chris was a ScentLok sales rep. as of a couple years ago. Chris still might be a sales rep. for ScentLok but I don't know that for sure. I think John is also a ScentLok prostaffer. These seem to be reasons enough for the guy to believe in that product.

X2
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:58 am

ontario farmer wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:So what ever happened with this?

They lost from what I understand. If anyone wants to hear the other side of the story. Look here

http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/i ... arbon.897/

This link is only for the open minded. A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.

Carbon filters are used for water filtration, gas masks, and a host of other things. and I know my scent lok clothes don't smell like body odor after wearing them several times.
I am using the Beast method's and scent lok. Hopefully this site allows for freedom of expression - a right in the Great USA
There is a rutgers study that was used in court and the original guys lost the suit.

John and Dan do agree controlling your scent is important. One controls it one way and the other another way. Both are successful hunters and that is very hard to deny. I like to listen to both and I am not sure why all the personal attacks are necessary. Disagree without malice. The Canadian and a gentlemans way to argue.

They may have lost the lawsuit, but the original court was right in my eyes... Scent companies were making false claims. Claims like: REMOVES ALL SCENT.... That's a right out lie. And if nothing else, at least because of the people who did the lawsuit, they are more careful now to be more honest in there advertising.

Disagree without malice. The Canadian and a gentlemans way to argue
I agree ( except the part about Canadians :mrgreen: ) Lets as a group try to be more open minded and not post just to poke... We really have a lack of good debate on this subject because of those whom are close minded or just argue.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 am

you mean to tell me scent lokt doesn't work?
what next? Santa? Easter bunny? Tooth fairy?
My life is officially ruined.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 am

headgear wrote:Beautiful bump. :lol:

Didn't mean this as a poke at anyone, I just liked the original topic where Dan calls out the hunting industry as a whole, don't forget to look at the time stamp as this was back in 2010. Then relate to a recent FB vid thread talking about the hunting industry again. If anyone wants to use carbon go for it, I tried and it failed me and I have no desire to spend $$$ on that and a lot of other hunting products. I'm about done debating the scent stuff anyway, I feel extremely comfortable with the way I hunt and too busy to defend it or attack others for doing what they do.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:18 am

I bought into all that stuff as a kid and killed a lot of bucks wearing it but funny thing is they were not down wind when it happened I use ozone generators in plastic tubs but its not for the deer its for keeping the funk down on my clothes and inside my boots. o and I bought a commercial grade machine that lasts ten times longer than what the hunting market sells and I can rebuild it myself with 20 bucks worth of parts. I rather dry wash my cloths than was all my high end clothes every month and wear them out. when I look at gear I worry about wind proof fast drying and water proof and warm. I want cloths that keep me on stand no matter what.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:52 am

One time i think last year i went hunting in a blind with my wife. Well. I was scent loked up
And i really ripped one. And it was a straight up protein chicken fart. A room clearer. And it stunk so bad my wife had choice words for me and went outside til the stench was gone. It works but not 100%. So i think if i diddnt have scent lok on we would both be dead lmao
It actually might have saved our lives

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”