Activated carbon fraud

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

d_rek

Re: Activated carbon fraud

Unread postby d_rek » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:14 am

Not to derail this thoroughly engaging conversation...

But the guys who keep complaining about how expensive scentlok is... what other brands are you purchasing? Unless you're buying walmart brand their price point is competitive with other major brands, if not on the cheaper side, so I don't really understand that argument. Compared to say sitka, first lite, etc.

I would say despite the activated carbon the scentlok garments I own are actually quite nice. This year I purchased a set of first lite insulated bibs and jacket and the price point was several hundred dollars more versus a 'comparable' set of garments from scentlok. The reason I went with first lite is because I have had sizing issues with insulated scentlok garments in the past. Ironically the first lite stuff has '37.5 Cocona' technology which is treating the polyester fibers with activated carbon... go figure. Whatever the case it's the warmest stuff i've ever owned.

"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:08 am

d_rek wrote:Not to derail this thoroughly engaging conversation...

But the guys who keep complaining about how expensive scentlok is... what other brands are you purchasing? Unless you're buying walmart brand their price point is competitive with other major brands, if not on the cheaper side, so I don't really understand that argument. Compared to say sitka, first lite, etc.

I would say despite the activated carbon the scentlok garments I own are actually quite nice. This year I purchased a set of first lite insulated bibs and jacket and the price point was several hundred dollars more versus a 'comparable' set of garments from scentlok. The reason I went with first lite is because I have had sizing issues with insulated scentlok garments in the past. Ironically the first lite stuff has '37.5 Cocona' technology which is treating the polyester fibers with activated carbon... go figure. Whatever the case it's the warmest stuff i've ever owned.

I have scent lok i do believe it works to a point not 100%
They are confortable but not very warm i get cold in them easy but thats not our subject here
But i have a friend who is an undertaker and also works in a morgue who has studied carbon stuff for years at college i guess i forget where he went. He is not a dr though . Lol
He has dealt with carbon lined body bags from the military since all the mid east blew up (years)
I just called him and talked to him about it in the last few weeks and he says those body bags have triple liners in them of carbon. Triple the amount of scent lok does and he tells me sometimes when stuff breaks down during transportation of bodies. Which it happens. Those body bags are zippered and water proof i guess to keep moisture out they do not completely hold the stink in. They help alot but He says sometimes it horrible.
He says scent lok works but very little probably 35-40% compared to a sponsored pro hunter who says 99% of time. So I really diddnt want to bring it up about my friend but. Ive opened a can of worms before and was blamed for seeking attention and I was also fooled for a long time by these ( i will say a working % products. Like scentlok ) gimmiks
but i will never ever pay 150$ for a pair of pants or 50$ for a facemask that doesnt even keep you warm or a 60! Pair of gloves. No thanks it works to a point but not 100% and never will be perfect.
the scent killer sprays my friend says are baking soda and water the stuff you put in the fridge to keep smell dowm. Usualy a box of (arm and hammer). thats all they are you they are gimmik they are work very littl you can see the white residue from the baking soda wherever you spray it on
try it look at it when it drys spraying it on your boots will show the most residue after drying
The ones with dirt scent are boiled with some kind of plant that gives it that smell ive tried it before with pine needles. You can make your own very easily
Save your money for a diy hunt in another state or a new set of sticks or saddle stand etc. or even a big buck serial killer dvd or workshop.
They use vinager and ammonia sprays for stink they also will put ucaliptis gels under theor noses ( sorry spelling )
And yes walmart coveralls jackets and pants are good for me bro. You can kill a big buck in a pair of 35$ coveralls from walmart just as good as Any tv guy does with his 500$ suit on. Sorry i brought it up but its just what i was told by my friend who is imo pretty good source of knowledge on the subject. Also note ( he does not hunt at all)
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:41 am

Lopedog699 wrote:

They are confortable but not very warm i get cold in them easy but thats not our subject here
But i have a friend who is an undertaker and also works in a morgue who has studied carbon stuff for years at college i guess i forget where he went. He is not a dr though . Lol
He has dealt with carbon lined body bags from the military since all the mid east blew up (years)
I just called him and talked to him about it in the last few weeks and he says those body bags have triple liners in them of carbon. Triple the amount of scent lok does and he tells me sometimes when stuff breaks down during transportation of bodies. Which it happens. Those body bags are zippered and water proof i guess to keep moisture out they do not completely hold the stink in. They help alot but He says sometimes it horrible.
He says scent lok works but very little probably 35-40% compared to a sponsored pro hunter who says 99% of time. So I really diddnt want to bring it up about my friend but. Ive opened a can of worms before and was blamed for seeking attention and I was also fooled for a long time by these ( i will say a working % products. Like scentlok ) gimmiks
but i will never ever pay 150$ for a pair of pants or 50$ for a facemask that doesnt even keep you warm or a 60! Pair of gloves. No thanks it works to a point but not 100% and never will be perfect.
the scent killer sprays my friend says are baking soda and water the stuff you put in the fridge to keep smell dowm. Usualy a box of (arm and hammer). thats all they are you they are gimmik they are work very littl you can see the white residue from the baking soda wherever you spray it on
try it look at it when it drys spraying it on your boots will show the most residue after drying
The ones with dirt scent are boiled with some kind of plant that gives it that smell ive tried it before with pine needles. You can make your own very easily
Save your money for a diy hunt in another state or a new set of sticks or saddle stand etc. or even a big buck serial killer dvd or workshop.
They use vinager and ammonia sprays for stink they also will put ucaliptis gels under theor noses ( sorry spelling )
And yes walmart coveralls jackets and pants are good for me bro. You can kill a big buck in a pair of 35$ coveralls from walmart just as good as Any tv guy does with his 500$ suit on. Sorry i brought it up but its just what i was told by my friend who is imo pretty good source of knowledge on the subject. Also note ( he does not hunt at all)

Definitely not knocking on anyone who wears Walmart brand camo. Hunt and kill deer in whatever you are comfortable wearing and whatever fits within your budget. I just think it’s ironic when people complain about scentlok price point when it costs the same as other name brand hunting gear.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:47 am

d_rek wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

Definitely not knocking on anyone who wears Walmart brand camo. Hunt and kill deer in whatever you are comfortable wearing and whatever fits within your budget. I just think it’s ironic when people complain about scentlok price point when it costs the same as other name brand hunting gear.

Nah derek sorry bro im not saying you were downing anyone. i was agreeing with you. Sorry my brotha if you took my words like that. Lol. God bless bro be safe
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 am

I own Cabela’s, first lite, ice breaker, iwom, smartwool, and predator.

Only the iwom was retail price. I’d buy Scent Lok without hesitation if I needed that particular garment for the warmth/fit and it was in my price range. Problem is I can find first lite 40% off, Cabela’s 50%, and icebreaker 75-90% off. So why would I spend more to get Scent Lok?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:24 am

Lopedog699 wrote:One time i think last year i went hunting in a blind with my wife. Well. I was scent loked up
And i really ripped one. And it was a straight up protein chicken fart. A room clearer. And it stunk so bad my wife had choice words for me and went outside til the stench was gone. It works but not 100%. So i think if i diddnt have scent lok on we would both be dead lmao
It actually might have saved our lives

I did this same test in my scent lok suit... couple does got downwind of me. It was really windy so it took them a second but they caught my scent and were a bit nervous... I let the release go on the stink bomb... they took off immediately lol... I know it's not supposed to work on a concentration of odor... But it wasn't working for me anyway so I quit using it. That was my 2nd season deer hunting and I was learning all by myself. I had read eberharts book my first season and did his routine and believed it may help... But it took me one season to give it up. Not saying it doesn't help at all but It wasn't worth it to me
Make It Happen
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
d_rek wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

Nah derek sorry bro im not saying you were downing anyone. i was agreeing with you. Sorry my brotha if you took my words like that. Lol. God bless bro be safe

I killed all my deer this year wearing work pants and an orange shirt. Now, my cold weather stuff is usually camo but mostly because its warm

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”