Activated carbon fraud

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Re: Activated carbon fraud

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Bedbug wrote::idea: in all reality guys

I'm starting to get a handle on John E's F the wind theory. He's really onto something with his scent regimen. It's going to take alot of adapting but..

All I need to do is quit my job, get a divorce, live a scent free life for 5 months out of the year, ohh and spend a couple Grand :think:
Thats it! My 2018 seasons looking deadly

Or buy the $19 ones. I think most of us spend a pile on guns, bows, tags, , stealth tape, broadheads, stands, Dans sticks, among other things. Hunting is not a cheap
Scent lok on sale is a crazy price.
But $19 sounds pretty sweet.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:43 pm

maybe NASA can lone me a space suit for testing in the field that will work :dance:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm starting to get a handle on John E's F the wind theory. He's really onto something with his scent regimen. It's going to take alot of adapting but..

All I need to do is quit my job, get a divorce, live a scent free life for 5 months out of the year, ohh and spend a couple Grand :think:

Scent lok is definitely not worth a divorce. Do not buy it.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 pm

ontario farmer wrote:As far as I know military carbon suits are not available and if they have twice the carbon obviously they would be better if they were quiet and not a solid color ie camo.
Yes and I have thought about how high John hunts and I know that would help prevent a deer from picking up your movement and disperse your scent better.
I expect for most but not all deer the level of scent it detects is important - the more pressured deer are, the more scent the more cautious a deer will be.

I don’t think camo matters in most instances. Maybe if you’re hunting open hardwoods in a treestand it does. Or somewhere without cover but ive been busted in an open pattern using ASAT, and haven’t been busted in solid stuff. Look at deer, they’re brown but if they’re still you can’t hardly spot them. I think being still is one of the best things for concealment

As for height and scent I think being high just gets your scent above the deer and gets you in a more predictable air current. I’ve ground hunted a bunch and believe that sitting on the ground keeps your scent dispersal smaller. Of course it can all depend on the terrain. I have areas that no way could I ground hunt.

As for pressure again I’ve hunted off the ground mostly on our highly pressured public land. I’ve been amazed at how deer have smelled me (I could see them detect my scent) but not spook. The buck I killed this year I did so at 10 yards. I’ve had multiple deer around at 10 yards or less. I even witnessed a buck last year that smelled my thermals, jump out of his bed, move upwind of me then circled back down smelling my ground scent. Now why didn’t this buck bust tail out of the country? He just looked around for me eventually walking off casually. I could have shot him 10 times. My point is, I could say all of this was due to scent control and scent control products. But I think it’s all individually based on the deer. I’ve had young deer catch scent and blow and stomp and run off like the world was ending.
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:58 pm

checkerfred wrote:
ontario farmer wrote:As far as I know military carbon suits are not available and if they have twice the carbon obviously they would be better if they were quiet and not a solid color ie camo.
Yes and I have thought about how high John hunts and I know that would help prevent a deer from picking up your movement and disperse your scent better.
I expect for most but not all deer the level of scent it detects is important - the more pressured deer are, the more scent the more cautious a deer will be.

I don’t think camo matters in most instances. Maybe if you’re hunting open hardwoods in a treestand it does. Or somewhere without cover but ive been busted in an open pattern using ASAT, and haven’t been busted in solid stuff. Look at deer, they’re brown but if they’re still you can’t hardly spot them. I think being still is one of the best things for concealment

As for height and scent I think being high just gets your scent above the deer and gets you in a more predictable air current. I’ve ground hunted a bunch and believe that sitting on the ground keeps your scent dispersal smaller. Of course it can all depend on the terrain. I have areas that no way could I ground hunt.

As for pressure again I’ve hunted off the ground mostly on our highly pressured public land. I’ve been amazed at how deer have smelled me (I could see them detect my scent) but not spook. The buck I killed this year I did so at 10 yards. I’ve had multiple deer around at 10 yards or less. I even witnessed a buck last year that smelled my thermals, jump out of his bed, move upwind of me then circled back down smelling my ground scent. Now why didn’t this buck bust tail out of the country? He just looked around for me eventually walking off casually. I could have shot him 10 times. My point is, I could say all of this was due to scent control and scent control products. But I think it’s all individually based on the deer. I’ve had young deer catch scent and blow and stomp and run off like the world was ending.

Deer see blue and movement. Camo only makes your movement slightly less obvious. Red plaid is not a solid color and deer do not see the red spectrum well . But hunting clothes industry does not think we will buy it. The only reason I would wear camo is that it is not a solid color and not blue and if you have good cover behind you deer will be less likely to see you. This comment is science and experience based.
So smell does not matter - why worry about thermals is what you basically just said as well.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:19 pm

I have one of those military Chem suits. I wore mine for 2 or 3 weeks when we drove into Iraq from Kuwait in March 2003. At the time chemical threats were unknown so we wore the Chem suits and had gas masks on our hip.

I also hunted in that suit during 2010 and 2011 seasons. It's designed to be sealed off coupled with a gas mask. The coat has a hood but It has very few pockets the only pocket is on the left sleeve and they are in bad spots and all are loud Velcro. The bottoms only have cargo pockets. No front pockets for keys or back pockets for wallet. Doesn't fit well very loud and not insulated. 20 bucks is a get what you pay for I'm sure.

If that 2002 technology is better than what they could come up with in 2018 it doesn't hold much stock with me. I'm keeping my suit for nostalgia reasons.

In 2011 I watched buck commanders and they all had sweet looking under armor clothes, so that's what I saved up for and bought. If i had seen scent lok I'm sure if be wearing it instead. Still I'm wearing my under armor that fits awesome and is well designed for hunting. It was expensive but is tough and quiet and has held up really well for 5-6 seasons. Just my .02 about the Chem suit

https://postimg.org/image/dhcufymyt/
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:20 pm

ontario farmer wrote:

I'm not normally one to poke fun.
I honestly think the average Hunter following Johns carbon push loses sight of the big picture. The amount of time and money they put in to scent reduction or "scent elimination" in John's words. Is easily twice as useful in other areas of hunting.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Image

$19.99 entire set! Colemans military surplus. According to ads can even be refired in your dryer!

A soldiers comment about this suit. I guess the US army thinks they protect against toxic chemicals. Why??? They keep them out. Or scent in.
Ah what does Uncle Sam know anyway. Probably more than John E or Rutgers university.

Nobodybutme (verified owner) – January 12, 2018

I received my chemical suit a few days ago, just like the issued one from years back. The smell of memories and the feel of protection. I give it 5 stars for several reasons: 1. it’s still sealed in the bag with no holes 2. You can clearly read all of the details of sizing on the one side and the inspection/test date on the other side 3. Not only is it slightly nostalgic…it’s protection for when one might need it. These things are so handy for not only chemical disasters for several hours if exposed, they work great for clean up of very messy jobs. Cleaning out a deer, being stuck out in the rain trying to tow a stuck buddy from the mud, even doing demo on a house and you don’t know whats in the walls. Get your hood and mask with gloves for a complete set! I know I’ll even buy an open package suit for a discount they are so handy.
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Bedbug wrote:
ontario farmer wrote:

I'm not normally one to poke fun.
I honestly think the average Hunter following Johns carbon push loses sight of the big picture. The amount of time and money they put in to scent reduction or "scent elimination" in John's words. Is easily twice as useful in other areas of hunting.

I do not disagree. I spend a lot of free time in the woods, learning, scouting, observing. I love it. Just another tool... scent lok and I do wonder why it would not help for the perfectionist types.
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:29 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:I have one of those military Chem suits. I wore mine for 2 or 3 weeks when we drove into Iraq from Kuwait in March 2003. At the time chemical threats were unknown so we wore the Chem suits and had gas masks on our hip.

I also hunted in that suit during 2010 and 2011 seasons. It's designed to be sealed off coupled with a gas mask. The coat has a hood but It has very few pockets the only pocket is on the left sleeve and they are in bad spots and all are loud Velcro. The bottoms only have cargo pockets. No front pockets for keys or back pockets for wallet. Doesn't fit well very loud and not insulated. 20 bucks is a get what you pay for I'm sure.

If that 2002 technology is better than what they could come up with in 2018 it doesn't hold much stock with me. I'm keeping my suit for nostalgia reasons.

In 2011 I watched buck commanders and they all had sweet looking under armor clothes, so that's what I saved up for and bought. If i had seen scent lok I'm sure if be wearing it instead. Still I'm wearing my under armor that fits awesome and is well designed for hunting. It was expensive but is tough and quiet and has held up really well for 5-6 seasons. Just my .02 about the Chem suit

https://postimg.org/image/dhcufymyt/

Thanks for the review. Sounds like it is not made for the hunter. Too noisy and no pockets.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:36 pm

ontario farmer wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
ontario farmer wrote:Deer see blue and movement. Camo only makes your movement slightly less obvious. Red plaid is not a solid color and deer do not see the red spectrum well . But hunting clothes industry does not think we will buy it. The only reason I would wear camo is that it is not a solid color and not blue and if you have good cover behind you deer will be less likely to see you. This comment is science and experience based.
So smell does not matter - why worry about thermals is what you basically just said as well.

I failed to mention about blue and red but you’re right on that. My dad has some old woolrich outfits that are red plaid and they killed plenty of deer back then. But camo pattern is less of a benefit unless you’re in one of those situations like I mentioned. Either way movement will get you busted no matter what pattern you have.

As for “smell does not matter, why worry about thermals”...not really sure how you got that from what I said....you’re putting words in my mouth on that. Smells and scents do matter. Thermals definitely matter. You can sit on the ground or be in a tree and deer may never smell you due to a thermal advantage, or they may smell you and bust out, they might smell you and stay around. Thermals May temporarily fall like they did on me with the buck that busted out of his bed. But what I said was how each deer reacts cannot be predicted. I’ve seen some deer hit my ground scent (wearing leather boots) but never spook. Then I’ve seen some that looked like I’ve scared the life out of them and let every deer in a half mile know (wearing rubber boots).
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:42 pm

ontario farmer wrote:I am sure John has been winded despite his claims to the contrary. He may not have known it.

So if the amount of scent does not matter. Why play the wind.

Even the military believes in carbon suits. Why??? Seems like those coveralls could not hurt at that price.

WHY PLAY THE WIND? Cause if your wind stream don't hit him, he don't smell you. If he gets your wind stream even for a second, he knows your there. a little or a lot don't matter from my observations, and based on all testing. None, well yea, that makes a difference. Thats why I play the wind.
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50 pm

I think I will trust the US army's opinion on carbon. Is it perfect... no. But it will reduce scent significantly.
Does controlling scent movement work. Yes but not perfectly. I expect that 1+1=3 when dealing with scent. Control scent movement and the minimize your scent and you will see more deer.
Neither method is for everyone and neither method is perfect.
Some people do nothing about scent control at all. They push a bush and shoot and fill the freezer. It is legal and not the way I want to hunt but maybe that is all the time they have for hunting and filling the freezer. Alright by me. I call that a deer harvest not a hunt though. They call it hunting and that is okay too. They usually enjoy the fellowship with others, I like hunting alone.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50 pm

I have never believed in scent loc. There is no way you can walk with ought scent coming out of your boots and sticking to the brush . This is why deer have their nose to the ground, where the scent is. Just a drop of scent off your forehead will make a scent trail. Scent suits dont account for this. I have a BIL that swears by it. Every time a deer doesn't bust him he credits scent loc. When he does get busted he assumes the deer saw him move. I read a post one time on The Beast . This hunter had a Black Lab. He went hunting out his back door and was in the tree stand. Well, you know the loyalty of a dog, wants to be with their master. The dog got out of the kennel and of course tracks his master through the woods and sits down right under his deer stand. This fellow decided it didn't work. An animal can smell so well it is unreal. I read a story how a man killed a person in the victims apartment. It was three days later they got a dog to track the killer. This dog left the house, tracked the killer down a sidewalk 3 days later , with hundreds of others walking on the sidewalk, tracks the killer into an empty woods and finds a man camping in a woods near by. Turns out it was the guy they wanted. There is no way you will fool a deers nose. You may fool the deer if it gets a very slight whiff of you . It may think you were just walking by , not sure but sometimes they just do get a whiff of you for some reason. I also read about a story of a U.S. pilot that got shot down about 20 yrs ago. . The enemy tracked him for days . He hid in some brush and covered himself when the searchers were hunting him. He said, a dog came sniffing and was 6' from the plot and the dog never knew he was there. MAYBE!! military suits are better, or have chemicals in the suit that really work. Actually I think it was God protecting the pilot . I have never used scent loc . I have totally increased my success in having deer not bust me since I started getting really anal about wind direction, approaching stands, and learn to not stick out like a sore thumb when I'm pulling back when I'm in a tree.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”