Do you downsize your standards ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: Do you downsize your standards ?

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:26 am

I have no pre set standards. :lol:

If it floats my boat it dies. :mrgreen:

marty

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:37 am

My standards have slowly risen over the years. For me, that standard right now is right around 100-105 inches or 3.5+ years of age. The average 3.5 year old where I hunt is around 100-105 inches so that gives me a fighting chance. Those are the kinds of skills I possess right now, I have a shot at killing a 3.5 year old buck each year. I am not good enough to realistically think I can kill a 4.5+ year old buck, I just do not have the skills. I really want to kill an older buck, regardless of the size of his rack. I have never mounted a buck in my life, just taken off some of their antlers and have one european mount. The first ten years I hunted I did not keep one single rack from any buck I killed. They were all small 1.5 and 2.5 year olds. For some reason I felt it was bad luck to take pictures or take the antlers, I almost felt like I was disrespecting the animal. I have since changed my thoughts on the pics/antlers thing.

I just cannot justify spending the money on the mounts when I have so many other things I need to do with my money, so the whole "if I am not going to mount I am not going to shoot it" mentality doesn't sit with me.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:45 am

virginiashadow wrote:I just cannot justify spending the money on the mounts when I have so many other things I need to do with my money, so the whole "if I am not going to mount I am not going to shoot it" mentality doesn't sit with me.

X2.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:13 am

last year has nothing to do with this year for me. new year,new situation. but i dont know if im going to kill a deer till it gives me the opportunity. unless i do have a trailcam pic of it and decided because of that. im not a score person, if i like what the deer looks like i kill it and as far as trail cam pics go, im usually most excited for the bucks that havent shown up on film. in otherwords, i know im not getting pics of all the best bucks out there and always waiting for those bucks to show. when that rut rolls around floaters are showing up all over the place!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:23 am

I hunt several states, public and private. Deer don't have to be a particular size for me to have fun shooting it. The biggest deer I passed was a couple 145" +- (and I have the film of it)When they get at the 140-150 range, I'm shooting.Some days a 120"er will get my heart racing, and get shot. It all depends on my reasonable expectations of the land i'm hunting.If I waited to kill one bigger than what I got, I'd never get one, and truth be told, I just flat out like shooting deer. That's what I'm out there to do.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:16 am

I let the baskets go...
Hold out for the biggest deer I believe is possible through my scouting...
1 1/2+ doe could be living on borrowed time unless its rut or I had a really bad day:)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:26 am

130 minimum on private, I would like a 140 this year! My bow buck last year was 117 so I have upped it for this year. On public 110 or so.... But I don't like eating tag soup :lol:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:05 pm

My real goal is a 3.5 year old or older if that would ever happen. I know there is a few in the 3.5 age area in my woods, if I get the chance I will do my best to put one of them down. Hopefully at least one of those 3.5 year old's can make it thru the year so I can try for a 4.5 next season. They have alot of travel room in my area, so there is a real chance at a good buck.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Age makes more difference to me than antlers.....If it is an old mature buck 5.5 or older and only 120 inches I am shooting him, or one side busted of of a main frame 8 that would be 140 inches, but is at least 5 years old, he's going down......Score isn't that important to me as much as age, I have killed 140 inch bucks with the bow , but would gladly take a 130"er if he's mature.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:51 pm

lungbuster wrote:Age makes more difference to me than antlers.....If it is an old mature buck 5.5 or older and only 120 inches I am shooting him, or one side busted of of a main frame 8 that would be 140 inches, but is at least 5 years old, he's going down......Score isn't that important to me as much as age, I have killed 140 inch bucks with the bow , but would gladly take a 130"er if he's mature.

I agree! Some of those big ol gnarly cull bucks that might only have 7 points but are fully mature 200 plus pound deer! Oh yeah, you gotta kill those!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:12 am

My standards change based on where I am hunting and what size bucks are out there.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:18 am

Inches matter to me over age for the most part. Since the rut always brings new deer around I'm usually looking for a 150+ unless there is something really unique about the buck. That being said there is a 130 in 8 point on one of my properties that is 6 or 7 years old and I have a pretty decent history with, he might get an arrow if given a good shot opportunity.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:30 am

Here on public-land in Michigan, I pass on 1 1/2 yr olds and make the determination on how my season is progressing and what weapon I am toting. Don't let outside pressures dictate what you harvest, just be sure to make it a quality hunt that you cherish. The journey is more important than the destination. Do what you deem "right" for your comfort levels.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:37 am

It's pretty amazing how everyone's "standards" differ and that's the great thing about deer hunting.
The bottom line should always be to shoot whatever makes you happy and/or proud.
And that decision is always gonna differ based on where a person hunts, how much time ane money they have, and what type of deer they have around.
Earlier on in my first years of hunting, I had the bar set way too high because my brother was a trophy hunter and I wanted to be like him and have the patience to pass on deer that alot of others would not have. I had to learn that I needed to get some experience by shooting deer.
I still have standards but those standards are not based on waiting to shoot something bigger than I have already shot. It will be based on "the moment" and whether or not that deer is mature and if I will be proud to shoot it.
Not sure if that makes sense to anyone or not.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:43 pm

WiBowhuntress wrote:It's pretty amazing how everyone's "standards" differ and that's the great thing about deer hunting.
The bottom line should always be to shoot whatever makes you happy and/or proud.
And that decision is always gonna differ based on where a person hunts, how much time ane money they have, and what type of deer they have around.
Earlier on in my first years of hunting, I had the bar set way too high because my brother was a trophy hunter and I wanted to be like him and have the patience to pass on deer that alot of others would not have. I had to learn that I needed to get some experience by shooting deer.
I still have standards but those standards are not based on waiting to shoot something bigger than I have already shot. It will be based on "the moment" and whether or not that deer is mature and if I will be proud to shoot it.
Not sure if that makes sense to anyone or not.

Makes perfect sense to me, if it is what you want at the time take it! You are the only person you have to make happy in hunting. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”