Do you downsize your standards ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Do you downsize your standards ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:02 am

Just curious about something..
Do you guys find yourself having a problem shooting a buck that is smaller than the biggest one you ever shot ? I mean, I can see a difference from Bow to Gun... I'm talking, what if you have shot a 160" buck say 3 or 4 years ago, would you have any problem shooting a 130" buck this year ? I know everyone is going to be different on this subject, that's why I brought it up, I wanna hear everyone's different takes on it..
I myself shot a 140" ten pointer 2 years ago bow hunting, and I guess I'm out to "better" myself.. I would love to shoot about a 155" this year ( which I know there is a couple out there where I hunt), but I realize I might not see either one of the animals I am after, but I would have no desire to drop my standards next year just because I didn't outdo my biggest buck ever taken..
Now, the problem I know could happen someday is this, sooner or later I could get up to that 170" class, and lets face it, those bucks are not just walking around everywhere, so not sure what I will do if it comes to that point, but I guess that's what makes this sport so great, you just never know.. ;)

Treejunkie

Re: Do you downsize your standards ?

Unread postby Treejunkie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:21 am

Good question. I put out my cameras early in the summer so I know the biggest bucks that are using my land. That is the guy I am gunning for every year whether bigger or smaller.

Not every year do I have big bucks on my cameras. I know the area I hunt has potential to be able to shoot a 140+ animal, it is just how many are around that year.

My cameras help me determine before season what I think is do-able for that year. I also do lots of evening driving around by me so that way too if my cameras are not getting pictures, I also know what's visiting the neighbors fields.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:52 am

Treejunkie wrote:Good question. I put out my cameras early in the summer so I know the biggest bucks that are using my land. That is the guy I am gunning for every year whether bigger or smaller.

Not every year do I have big bucks on my cameras. I know the area I hunt has potential to be able to shoot a 140+ animal, it is just how many are around that year.

My cameras help me determine before season what I think is do-able for that year. I also do lots of evening driving around by me so that way too if my cameras are not getting pictures, I also know what's visiting the neighbors fields.

I guess with me having a 140" on my pics, I would probably be saying "maybe next year he will be a 160" and would let him walk... But that's only because my best is already a 140"... It would be different for everybody I suppose... But ya, I agree, the camera's let us know what's out there, but they don't always capture everything that is out there.. But like you said, doing some glassing helps too.. And then there is the rut factor, a good buck could come from anywhere and surprise you.... Lots of factors I guess...
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:57 am

I would also say it depends on how much land you are hunting on. I hunt small parcels, 75acres and under. You are not going to hold a buck on 75 acres. What do the neighbors shoot? Anything that walks in my case.

Lots of things to think about that come into play for me & the rut is a huge part. If my glassing shows big bucks on neighboring properties even a few miles away, I might just wait and hold off praying one of those boys shows up. ;)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:30 am

Depends on allot of things such as- How many big bucks I've shot previously (which hasn't been many), how much hunting time I've got (varies from year to year), the area I'm hunting, etc.

Never have I changed my mind mid way through the season or even on the last day. My minimum the last 20 some years has been 130". For the area I hunt I think that's probably a little steep but you just never know so I'll stick with It. In 2007 I shot a 143" buck. If a 130" walks In front of me this year he'll more then likely get an arrow unless I really think I have a great chance at killing a bigger buck that I know exists. Last year I let one walk that was real close to that 130 Inch range. I let him walk because I had a very good feeling I was going to have an encounter with a 150's 10 point I had trail cam pictures of. Sure enough on the next hunt I had the big 10 at 10 yards with a not so go ending. He ended being my 1st ever wounded deer In 25 years of bowhunting. The good thing Is that he lived.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:07 am

My standards right now are anything 140 or bigger. My biggest bow buck is only 121 inches. I've passed up numerous deer in the 30's but never pulled the trigger because I have no interest in shooting that big of a deer when I know there are bigger around. If I'm on a prop in the cwd zone and I know there arent any big deer around, I could see myself letting the air out of something bigger than 130
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:27 am

My standards are more age related. I aim for a buck that looks to be at least 4 years old. Rack size does play a part as well but if it's mature I will most likely shoot. I am not afraid to put meat in the freezer at the end of a hunt either. If a younger buck strolls by the last day and I could use some meat he could be in trouble.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:42 am

I've never been the type to pass on a mature deer because it didn't equal or surpass my biggest, but I understand the mentality for some. Score means more to some, while charicter means more to others (like me). A mature deer is a mature deer, and if you have a story to go with your hunt that you'll likely remember and appreciate everytime you think of taking that buck, it's a worthy harvest in my opinion.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:43 am

If a decent swamp buck strolls in all pretty like and I have good video of him, I find it pretty easy to shoot.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:53 am

I ate tag two times last year on marginal bucks because I was hunting a specific deer. My personal standards are if it is something I will hang on my wall I will harvest it. I have however been borderline obsessed with pursuing a single buck and passing on deer that many of my friends would have shot. Lot's of 2 1/2 year have been blessed with a free pass.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:06 am

DropTyne wrote:I ate tag two times last year on marginal bucks because I was hunting a specific deer. My personal standards are if it is something I will hang on my wall I will harvest it. I have however been borderline obsessed with pursuing a single buck and passing on deer that many of my friends would have shot. Lot's of 2 1/2 year have been blessed with a free pass.

That's kind of where I stand now, if I'm going to shoot a buck, It's going to go on the wall... If I need the venison, I shoot a doe...
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:15 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
DropTyne wrote:I ate tag two times last year on marginal bucks because I was hunting a specific deer. My personal standards are if it is something I will hang on my wall I will harvest it. I have however been borderline obsessed with pursuing a single buck and passing on deer that many of my friends would have shot. Lot's of 2 1/2 year have been blessed with a free pass.

That's kind of where I stand now, if I'm going to shoot a buck, It's going to go on the wall... If I need the venison, I shoot a doe...

x2
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:27 am

Casper wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:

x2

x3 I feel if it is one that is special enough for me to put on the wall regardless of size then its going down if I get the opportunity. Like you said if I need the venison a doe will do just fine. ;)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:35 am

That's kind of where I stand now, if I'm going to shoot a buck, It's going to go on the wall... If I need the venison, I shoot a doe...[/quote]

x2[/quote]

x3 I feel if it is one that is special enough for me to put on the wall regardless of size then its going down if I get the opportunity. Like you said if I need the venison a doe will do just fine. ;)[/quote]
X4 I have to agree with these guys, if he looks good on the wall, and I can justify spending $500 on a mount, he gets an arrow, otherwise he gets a free pass. I can't say I will always stay this way. If I go on a drought for a couple of years, I may lower my standards. I have had a pretty good run lately, so it's bound to dry up sooner or later.
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:13 am

For me any buck I shoot will be my biggest with my bow, so brown is down for me. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”