Do you downsize your standards ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ERICBROOKS

Re: Do you downsize your standards ?

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 pm

My biggest with a bow is 198, if I was gonna hold out for something bigger than that I’d just stay on the couch!!

My standards are are made in the moment, if it feels right, kill him!

Who’s cares what other guys think.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:15 pm

considering my biggest buck was a buck of a lifetime where I hunt not at all :lol: I just try and kill the biggest buck I see that year I don't like tag sandwiches I hold out but eventually I get hungry 8-)
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Each season I put in a lot of hours scouting, glassing, running cameras and shed hunting to see what made it. From this data, I'll make a hit list of which bucks or caliber of buck I will pursue. The best 1-3 are what I set my goal for that season. Even if I killed a 160 in past, but the top bucks in my hit list are 130s then that is my goal. You can't kill something that isn't out there. Yes, you will get the occasional wonderer buck visiting from far away during the rut, but I try and aim for the best deer that I know exists. To each their own, but thats how I hunt bucks.
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:50 pm

I'm fairly simple when it comes to standards. Up until the 2nd-3rd week of November I will hunt specific bucks, after that the first 4 year old buck or older that gives me an oppurtunity, gets it. Could careless about antler size just want him to be 4 or older.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 am

I've set my personal goal at 4 yo + bucks. In my area, that's pretty rare, but I'm OK with not filling a buck tag every year.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:57 pm

I’m not that picky. We get 3 bucks so I may take a smaller one then hold out for bigger throughout the season. I’d always keep one spot open for a large buck unless I were to tag out with 3 big ones. I typically won’t kill a super small young buck. I’d say my minimum is 3 year olds. Honestly though I’m terrible at field judging. I passed a decent 8 last year and seems like I get ground enlargement more than shrinkage.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:42 pm

checkerfred wrote:I’m not that picky. We get 3 bucks so I may take a smaller one then hold out for bigger throughout the season. I’d always keep one spot open for a large buck unless I were to tag out with 3 big ones. I typically won’t kill a super small young buck. I’d say my minimum is 3 year olds. Honestly though I’m terrible at field judging. I passed a decent 8 last year and seems like I get ground enlargement more than shrinkage.

That's what she said :lol:
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:53 pm

Divergent wrote:
checkerfred wrote:I’m not that picky. We get 3 bucks so I may take a smaller one then hold out for bigger throughout the season. I’d always keep one spot open for a large buck unless I were to tag out with 3 big ones. I typically won’t kill a super small young buck. I’d say my minimum is 3 year olds. Honestly though I’m terrible at field judging. I passed a decent 8 last year and seems like I get ground enlargement more than shrinkage.

That's what she said :lol:

I expected more from you lol
Whopper Stopper

Unread postby Whopper Stopper » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:56 pm

I also hate tag soup. Where I hunt there will from time to time be a nice buck go through but every year is different. I always strive for the biggest in the woods but in the end unless it has 10 points I leave it walk. At the same time once January rolls around and the temps get ugly, if the right deer comes along, he will be introduced to my freezer.

WS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”