WI winter severity index???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: WI winter severity index???

Unread postby headgear » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:35 pm

I don't even need to look at WSI in northern MN, very nice mild winter with below average snow, the deer should be in great shape pending any craziness in March and April, I'd like to think we are in good shape but 2011 was the same way then we got pummeled all spring.

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:58 pm

Bassboy, how many wolf kills? Headgear, Grand Marais has only a few inches of snow as of last week.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:02 pm

ihookem wrote:Bassboy, how many wolf kills? Headgear, Grand Marais has only a few inches of snow as of last week.

8, but I didn't walk alot. We welcomed another boy last November.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:55 pm

Bassboy, that is a lot of wolf kills. The most I ever found was 3 in one yr. That is in west side of Price co.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:29 pm

We have more deer down here. A lot more. When a pack moves in they clean house. Tough to see the damage at the low deer densities of price county. To be honest a few of them could have been yotes.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:48 pm

Just read the average Winter Severity Index in WI this year was about 20 or MILD on the scale.

For comparison the index for the record-setting winter of 2013-14 was 149.

Should really help the herd in the north or depending on which way you would like to look at it, will keep the predators well fed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:50 am

I found 3 dead does on an 80 acre parcel, and another on the 40 across the road. Also had a mature buck get killed on another 40 a few miles away. Assuming all coyote kills. SE WI. All of these parcels had great fall and winter food, so the deer were in there thick this year. Bummed about the buck. But, we've seen an increase in population the past few years now that EAB and Bonus Buck is done, so I'm thinking the yotes were just taking out the does that we probably should have taken. We've already agreed that if numbers are similar this year, we're going to be more active in doe management.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon May 16, 2016 9:00 am

Another 6 mile scout in Price/ Sawyer co. this weekend. The deer numbers look much better this spring than the last two. Four weeks ago I could hardly find a fresh track. Now, they are all over, the trails are used and tracks in them. Now doubt four weeks ago they were in winter mode. Now they are in spring mode, ready to have fawns and eating grass that is everywhere due to logging in the area. I saw two very fat does and no doubt ready to have fawns. I also saw a nubby buck in the yard when I was there. It ate a whole bunch of Dandelions, one right after the other. I saw two different wolf tracks , one was young , one was darn good size. One bear track about 4" wide. Two turkeys , several on the cam and some big toms. The problem is the coyotes, there are tracks all over . I heard them yipping several times last night and there were a lot of them, not just a few lone yipps. They will be a problem for the fawns. I did see a lot of small deer tracks . That tells me a lot of fawns made it. It is looking up a bit. Nothing to write home about through.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 16, 2016 9:18 am

Good to hear. Northern WI should fare very well after such a mild winter. Things are finally looking up for the near future I hope.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon May 16, 2016 9:43 am

Good to hear. I've been logging quite a few miles in the central northwoods the last few weeks hunting and gathering. Deer numbers are definitely up big time.

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:18 pm

Another update on Northern Wis. ( Price & Sawyer co. ) This country is true northern wis. deer hunting. We have had almost no doe kills for 2 yrs and 2 very mild winters in a row. The deer numbers are looking up a little bit I was disappointed in the cutover across the river that is about yrs old now. I decided to scout anew spot that was cut over last winter. There are a lot more deer there , it seems. I even saw a rub and 2 scrapes in 1/4 mi. I even actually saw deer trails that were packed down a bit. Something I have not seen in year. We have about 4 bucks on the trail cams so far and that is much better than last year . Last spring I put out a trail cam near the cutover for one year almost to the day. I got one buck on it on Nov. 26, at 9 pm. It is true north woods hunting when you can hunt hard in good spots and not see a deer for several days , sometimes all season.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:49 pm

The snow is almost gone in many parts of northern WIs. most of Price and Sawyer co. is void of snow , , , except in the swamps and stuff. http://www.weatherstreet.com/city_snow_ ... -depth.htm. You will see the green areas are void of snow. We are not out of the woods yet but an easy winter so far. This will be the 3rd easy winer in a row if it hold up.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Still some snow here but lots of rain and thunder storms knocking it down. Another mild winter for the books, I will take as many as I can get!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:50 pm

I agree. Good for the northern deer herd. They really need any help they can get.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Easy winters are easy on the predators as well. :cry:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”