Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Hope you feel better Dewey. Back injuries are no joke. I can take weight off my knees, rest my shoulders but even breathing hurts with back problems.

As far as the have you reached your prime question? I’m 21. I really hope I haven’t hit my prime yet. Disappointed would be an understatement at that point. Physical prime, i haven’t kept up with what I was doing in high school with constant heavy weightlifting and cardio. Planning on getting back into that stuff this summer if I can get a better/ more consistent work schedule

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:10 am

I am only in my sixth year of hunting, and this will be my first full year using these tactics im learning. Hunting wise i am like a toddler taking his first stroll across the living room without holding the coffee table.

At 42, i have a beaten and abused body. In my teens i developed a love for dunking a basketball and jumping became my obsession. My knees are shot. Most of my joints are bad from various injuries, and my physical carrer has done it's fair share, as well. Throw in the added fat i've carried the better part of the last 20 years, bad news!
Fortunatly Michigan is a MM state, God's brand medicine works wonderfully! I have been scouting around 3 miles marshes and thick woods at a time...not even close without the plant, barring walking the next day.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:57 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:I am only in my sixth year of hunting, and this will be my first full year using these tactics im learning. Hunting wise i am like a toddler taking his first stroll across the living room without holding the coffee table.

At 42, i have a beaten and abused body. In my teens i developed a love for dunking a basketball and jumping became my obsession. My knees are shot. Most of my joints are bad from various injuries, and my physical carrer has done it's fair share, as well. Throw in the added fat i've carried the better part of the last 20 years, bad news!
Fortunatly Michigan is a MM state, God's brand medicine works wonderfully! I have been scouting around 3 miles marshes and thick woods at a time...not even close without the plant, barring walking the next day.

Me and you could be twins. Lol. 43. And beaten and broken. 20 years fighting and wrestling around with convicts in the prison put a hurting on both my physical and mental health its a struggle every day
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:04 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:I am only in my sixth year of hunting, and this will be my first full year using these tactics im learning. Hunting wise i am like a toddler taking his first stroll across the living room without holding the coffee table.

Me and you could be twins. Lol. 43. And beaten and broken. 20 years fighting and wrestling around with convicts in the prison put a hurting on both my physical and mental health its a struggle every day

It's a scary thing looking forward, wondering how bad 50's will be. I definitely need to take some steps to get this temple back in shape, fit and strong.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:24 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:

It's a scary thing looking forward, wondering how bad 50's will be. I definitely need to take some steps to get this temple back in shape, fit and strong.

Im just starting the process lol long road ahead
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:51 am

Past my prime at 64. lol I have all these ideas and spots to hunt from years of scout/hunt but bad knees and back keep me from doing what I would like. Still recovering from posterior neck fusion C3-T1 with 12 screws, 2 plates and 2 rods. 4th back surgery from osteoarthritis related deterioration . All this since age 54 so get those mountain hunts in before 50 if you can, just never know what will happen. A fat tire mountain bike has been helping me out to get to spots too far for my knees. Had to use Xbow last 2 years, but should be able to handle my bow this fall. In some respects limited mobility has helped; I tend to stay longer in my good stands without that urge to hunt "over the next hill" Dewey, I hope things go well with that back so you can have a good fall hunt. Take care, Jim
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:14 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:
Dewey wrote:There is a reason why I bumped this thread.,,,

Feel like I’m WAY past my prime today. Blew a disc out in my lower back yesterday and can’t even walk right now or even stand upright. Looks like I’m laid up for the weekend till I can get to the chiropractor Monday morning. Planned on scouting all weekend but that’s totally out of the question right now. :doh:

For all you young guys do everything you can to protect your backs. I have been dealing with this stuff for over 20 years now due to doing so many stupid things in my younger days. Believe me when I say this.....it will catch up with you. It’s something you never think about when your young.

I'm praying that you will be feeling yourself tomorrow, able to scout freely, and in no need of a trip to the doc tomorrow, asking in Jesus' name.

To the other praying beasts, please lift him up with me. :pray:

Let us know what you find out there!

I think your prayer worked. I woke up this morning and could not even stand up much less walk. Muscle spasms in my lower back were the worst I have ever experienced. I worked thru that, did some stretching then forced myself to walk it off on the treadmill even though it was pure torture.

Well....7 hours later here I am out in the marsh scouting.

Every step is pure agony but I just couldn’t lay around anymore feeling sorry for myself. There are plenty of guys out there dealing with much worst stuff than this so time for me to suck it up. My body may be used up and past it’s prime but my mind still says GO. Hopefully I can make it back out. :pray:
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:56 am

Dewey wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:
Dewey wrote:There is a reason why I bumped this thread.,,,

Feel like I’m WAY past my prime today. Blew a disc out in my lower back yesterday and can’t even walk right now or even stand upright. Looks like I’m laid up for the weekend till I can get to the chiropractor Monday morning. Planned on scouting all weekend but that’s totally out of the question right now. :doh:

For all you young guys do everything you can to protect your backs. I have been dealing with this stuff for over 20 years now due to doing so many stupid things in my younger days. Believe me when I say this.....it will catch up with you. It’s something you never think about when your young.

I'm praying that you will be feeling yourself tomorrow, able to scout freely, and in no need of a trip to the doc tomorrow, asking in Jesus' name.

To the other praying beasts, please lift him up with me. :pray:

Let us know what you find out there!

I think your prayer worked. I woke up this morning and could not even stand up much less walk. Muscle spasms in my lower back were the worst I have ever experienced. I worked thru that, did some stretching then forced myself to walk it off on the treadmill even though it was pure torture.

Well....7 hours later here I am out in the marsh scouting.

Every step is pure agony but I just couldn’t lay around anymore feeling sorry for myself. There are plenty of guys out there dealing with much worst stuff than this so time for me to suck it up. My body may be used up and past it’s prime but my mind still says GO. Hopefully I can make it back out. :pray:

Hey, that's a big step from what it sounded like yesterday! Hallelujah! Just don't over do it!! Thanks for the report. :D
harold

Unread postby harold » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Dewey you are a true Beast. Now I know where Dan got the idea for the site name! :lol:

To answer the original question, no way. I'm just getting warmed up. I spent way too many years hunting like everyone else.

I feel better physically then I did five or ten years ago. I've finally gotten rid of most of the bad habits I developed in my late teens and early 20's.

The hunting drive and ambition grows every year. My knowledge is expanding. And the results are coming. I can't wait to see what the next 10-20 years brings.
Vtbowhunter3

Unread postby Vtbowhunter3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:51 am

I will be 32 in May. Physically I have no limitations and consider myself in “good” shape. Mentally I agree with what many have said on here that you never stop progressing. I feel like I get a little better each year, and am hoping that will continue for years to come. I wish my father would read this thread, he is my main Hunting buddy and will be 54 in July. I haven’t seen him skip a beat in the 23 years I have hunted with him. He had a heart attack in November of 2015 the day after we got home from a 3 week Midwest hunt. He was lucky enough to make a full recovery. He was very active when it happened. He didn’t smoke, wasn’t overweight. He changed some eating habits and worked even harder physically. Either walking with a weighted pack or riding his bike every day. I feel like physically he can still do all the things he ever has but mentally I feel like he can’t. Every year since then he makes comments I hope I can get another 10 years bowhunting and it really bothers me, cause I know if he stays healthy he’s easily got it in him. I always say your only as old as you feel, or age is just a number. I’ll drive it in his head before I’m done! Haha glad to see some of you guys in your 50s have no intentions of slowing down!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:02 am

harold wrote:Dewey you are a true Beast. Now I know where Dan got the idea for the site name! :lol:

Dan is much more of a Beast than I will ever be. ;)

I’m just stubborn. Yesterday on my way out the door to go scouting my wife just shook her head knowing what I was dealing with the last few days. She told me I should stay home and rest but knows better that I’m way too hard headed to listen. :lol:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 am

Dewey wrote:
harold wrote:Dewey you are a true Beast. Now I know where Dan got the idea for the site name! :lol:

I’m just stubborn. Yesterday on my way out the door to go scouting my wife just shook her head knowing what I was dealing with the last few days. She told me I should stay home and rest but knows better that I’m way too hard headed to listen. :lol:

I bet she had an alternative treatment plan for your back pain and you screwed it up by going scouting. ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:13 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I bet she had an alternative treatment plan for your back pain and you screwed it up by going scouting. ;)

Could be. :shifty: :lol:
Loppy

Unread postby Loppy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:49 am

Glad you made it out Dewey! Having had back surgery I know back pain all to well. Sometimes a scouting trip or a simple walk in the woods, even though painful, is what a guy needs. It helps clear your mind and focus on something else besides laying around and like you said feeling sorry for yourself. Nature always puts me in a better spot.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:00 pm

Good to see you made it out Dewey. At 35 I sure hope I haven't peaked yet. Though a car accident in my early twenties left me with lower back issues that I fear will just get increasingly worse as I age, much like you said you are dealing with.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”