Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:57 am

I would say no... I am not im still climbing the latter....going to dans work shop is huge ...most average guys step up the latter every year or two or three ...go to dans work shops and you take 3 steps at a time :lol:

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 13, 2015 4:54 pm

I was reading this article tonight and thought it was really good and fit in with the main topic in this thread.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Thu May 14, 2015 12:18 am

Good article. I can relate. I say treat every hunt like it's your last hunt. Enjoy each moment.

bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:39 pm

At 33 I'm still as gung-ho as I was at 23....just hunt a lot smarter. But I'm still learning. But I don't think I'm at my prime yet.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu May 14, 2015 5:14 pm

I think my best days are behind me mainly for the fact ive lost alot of my wanting to go all the time, between working all the time(railroad) kids (not old enough to go) its just faded alot. When my son gets old enough to go it will depend if he wants to hit it as hard as i have in my past maybe then ill dive in head first again.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:42 am

Like a bunch of you have said, I wish I would have know more 20yrs ago. I'll 47,when we hit our opener, the knees hurt a bit, to much skiing as a kid. But my primary spot for this year is a 2.5 mile hike, or A 4 mile boat ride. Got to take the easy way. :)

sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Fri May 15, 2015 10:53 am

I could see a prime in a physical aspect, but in a knowledge aspect there is always more to learn, hopefully in trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle I will still be able to use what Iv learned when Im old n wise lol

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue May 19, 2015 3:26 am

I actually have more knowledge now then I've ever had. The sad thing is our mature buck population in my area sucks. Years ago as a teenager (21+ years ago) we had some outstanding mature buck hunting. I saw some great bucks but just couldn't close the distance because of lack of knowledge and patience. In 2009 things were looking great again as far as our buck population then boom 2 years later its back to the same old. It's so damn frustrating. I could shoot 2 and 3 year olds every year but it just doesn't do it for me. I want bucks with age but it's getting to be a rare occurrence of anything living that long around here. Yes there is some here and a matter of fact I let one 4 year old go by In December of 2014. Inches wise he wasn't what I wanted. He's the 1st 4 year old I've passed in a long time. A few years ago I hunted Iowa the last week of October. Oh my! Outstanding hunting! Actually I'm really not sure how to answer this question. The drive is still here big time! I'm 40 years old and physically I have no limitations.
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Wed May 20, 2015 1:52 pm

I certainly hope not, Hunting is how I recharge my batteries and keep my sanity :D
I am still learning new things each day, and my physical abilities are not preventing me from doing what I need to do., Although I could be in better shape :D
I think being in your prime includes passing on your wisdom, woodsmanship and ethics to younger hunters
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:28 pm

At the age of 40 I sure the hope not! I am glad to say that I learn something every time I'm in the woods and continue to study maps in the off-season. Not to mention keeping up the accuracy with the weapons I use to chase these fine critters. As my kids are getting older I do find myself unable to devote the crazy amount of time that I previously spent, but I like to think that I am hunting smarter now that I did just last season and the season before that and the season before that etc.....

I missed this question back earlier this year. I think about this often as some the hunters I hunt with are on the downside of their curve...
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:38 am

at 52 I am just getting started :) I rode my first 100 mile bike race last year. Seriously, I feel things a lot more these days and I have to watch what I am doing more (body can't recover as fast) but I am still backpacking, sitting in a tree saddle and shooting heavy trad bows.... I have no plans on slowing down yet.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 21, 2015 6:29 am

DaveT1963 wrote:at 52 I am just getting started :) I rode my first 100 mile bike race last year. Seriously, I feel things a lot more these days and I have to watch what I am doing more (body can't recover as fast) but I am still backpacking, sitting in a tree saddle and shooting heavy trad bows.... I have no plans on slowing down yet.

Good for you! :clap:

This is what I was hoping to hear from some of the "older" guys and why I started this thread. Like you it takes longer for me to recover so I have to be careful I don't overdo it sometimes but I still enjoy the hard work. My screwed up back limits me to a point but hoping to get that taken care of before the season starts. If I can get beyond that there will be no slowing me down for quite some time I hope.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:30 am

I had to think on this one awhile. Mentally I have a strong desire. With all the new knowledge from Dan and the Beast I know I could figure out how to get it done.

I turn 56 in a month. I know some guys older than me that are still hitting it hard. So with doing a healthy diet. Taking care of my body. I know it's still posssible.

My problem is how much of a lasting affect my Lyme Disease will have on me. Will I get rid of it totally and be able to hit it as physically as I want to. Or will I see little improvement and basically not be able to do the hard part. The post-season to summer green up scouting. The real key to all this.

Too much up in the air for me yet. I keep thinking positive about everything, but am also realistic about the possibility of not getting better.

So I'll just keep dealing with things as they go. My minimum goal for this year is to get some does, for some organic meat. If I get to seriously hunt for a mature buck that will be icing on the cake.

OLD GUYS remember you only feel as old as you think you are.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 21, 2015 7:17 am

When I started this thread I should have worded it better since I was mostly referring to reaching your prime physically more than skill. We never really reach our prime with skill because learning is a life long process. I hope to never reach my peak where I don't learn anymore because then the fun would be done for me.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:53 am

Dewey wrote:When I started this thread I should have worded it better since I was mostly referring to reaching your prime physically more than skill. We never really reach our prime with skill because learning is a life long process. I hope to never reach my peak where I don't learn anymore because then the fun would be done for me.

:clap: 8-) :idea:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”