Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

IkemanTx
500 Club

Re: Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:11 am

Heck no I haven't. I am just starting the beast path, only finding this place/methodology late last year. Also, being not quite 30 gives me a LOT of time to work on my game. I can't even describe how excited I am for the years to come and all I will learn. I truly hope to be half as good as so many of the amazing hunters on here.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:16 am

Looking real close at the big 50. Looking forward to learning a bit more and capitalizing on the knowledge - hunt smarter, not harder as opposed to wearing a pair of boots out every year.

An no, I have not reached the apex of my hunting career. Still able to learn and do better.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:57 pm

Well it looks as if I'm the old guy in this thread at the age of 70. I've been blessed with a great deal of stamina, strength and drive. But I really started on the down hill slide at age 62 when I had both of my hands operated on and I was also having shoulder problems. Then in December 2013 I had open heart surgery with 4 bypasses. Last August it was rotator cuff surgery but I had already given up my vertical bow back in 2009 and started hunting with a crossbow. So as you can see I'm passed my prime physical abilities but mentally I'm good to go. My physical issues have not hindered my hunting as I train with free weights, walk and do Tabata workouts on my Air-dyne. Last season I killed 2 nice mature bucks and 1 2 1/2 year old all on public land and got them out without help from anyone. The only thing that would keep me from hunting is my wife's health which has been an issue starting last February and hasn't improved.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:09 am

Bump
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:21 am

Still not there yet....maybe next year :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:00 am

There is a reason why I bumped this thread.,,,

Feel like I’m WAY past my prime today. Blew a disc out in my lower back yesterday and can’t even walk right now or even stand upright. Looks like I’m laid up for the weekend till I can get to the chiropractor Monday morning. Planned on scouting all weekend but that’s totally out of the question right now. :doh:

For all you young guys do everything you can to protect your backs. I have been dealing with this stuff for over 20 years now due to doing so many stupid things in my younger days. Believe me when I say this.....it will catch up with you. It’s something you never think about when your young.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:17 am

Dewey wrote:There is a reason why I bumped this thread.,,,

Feel like I’m WAY past my prime today. Blew a disc out in my lower back yesterday and can’t even walk right now or even stand upright. Looks like I’m laid up for the weekend till I can get to the chiropractor Monday morning. Planned on scouting all weekend but that’s totally out of the question right now. :doh:

For all you young guys do everything you can to protect your backs. I have been dealing with this stuff for over 20 years now due to doing so many stupid things in my younger days. Believe me when I say this.....it will catch up with you. It’s something you never think about when your young.

Bad lower back isnt fun
I feel for ya dewey know just how you feel
I broke my sacrum bone (tailbone) and blew 3 discs at the prison years ago and its never right sfter that. My belly dont help but it gives me fits alot. Im very active and if i sit too much then hurry up and go it kills me
So am i peeked as a hunter? No way im rebooting starting over from scratch i dont think anyone is unless you just cant do it physically or mentally
Am i peeked as a man ? Probably at 43. But im rebooting that too so its alwYs a process. Imo You can never peek
As a hunter i think of more of a roller coaster tide ups and downs but never peeked. Besides you never really know whats gonna get up out of that bed your sitting 50 yards from and walk by. You might think you do but really. You dont.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:24 am

Sorry to hear that Dewey.

I have considered starting yoga. I know, sounds lame, but I have read/heard great things. I believe it will help me stay flexible as I age and I think flexibility and core strength are the two most important things.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:36 am

Chuck B wrote:

Sorry to hear that Dewey.

I have considered starting yoga. I know, sounds lame, but I have read/heard great things. I believe it will help me stay flexible as I age and I think flexibility and core strength are the two most important things.

I agree. Flexibility and core strength are huge as you get older. I want to keep going well into old age so I’m willing to do whatever it takes. Nothing I fear more than the day I cannot hunt anymore. Always worried everytime my back goes out this might be the end for me. Not a good feeling. Been avoiding it for years but surgery might be my only option at some point. Probably should have done it years ago instead of torturing myself for so many years.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:09 am

Two knee operations and one on my shoulder have limited what I can do. I can’t jump up and dunk a basketball like I could 15 yrs ago and going for a run is a challenge due to knee pain, however I can walk many miles scouting and hunting. I hurt more than I feel like I should afterwards and while I’m doing it I suck more air than I ever used to.

My prime physically is behind me, but I’m too stubborn to let it effect me yet.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:58 am

Sorry to hear about your back Dewey! I now how getting older can sometimes feel for us "older" guys.

As for prime, I think about it this way. Maybe back in my 30's I was in my prime physically. But I've always believed, the mind is the most dangerous weapon we possess to hunt deer! And my mind/knowledge is increasing every day I strap on my boots! I turn 54 this October, and I'm hoping for a mature buck dragging birthday party.

I still have no problem putting on 6 miles for an afternoon scout. I still play basketball weekly with the 30 something guys. And still play softball a couple nights a week. Age is a state of mind!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
bh bowhunter

Unread postby bh bowhunter » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:56 am

Yep, I am definitely worried that my bad back is what will end my bowhunting days! Been dealing with my back going out about 4 or 5 times a year since 2004 when I slipped off a truck at work. Just last August I had it go out 3 times and finally went in for MRI. I drew my archery elk tag after 12 years and had to forfeit it. The doc gave me a steroid shot in my lower back and oh man what a difference!!! The constant ache is gone!

I wish I would have gone in years ago, I just figured it was something I was just gonna have to live with. I still can't push myself like I use to, as my back did give me problems last month splitting a bunch of wood. After shoveling for 5 hrs last weekend it was real stiff, so yesterday I finally bought a snow blower! Last summer was an eye opener for me also, in July I suffered a heat stroke and had to go to the ER. On Friday I was elk scouting all day and Saturday helped a hunting buddy set a couple stands in 90 heat. We were almost done by 11 am when I got sick.

I'm pushing 50 now and I know I have to slow down abit and maybe even give up some activities. If I didn't love fresh veggies so much my vegetable garden would be the first to go! Physically I've peeked, but I plan on bowhunting til I die!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:16 am

WAY past my prime. I got on a lot more mature bucks as well as deer in general in my 20's and 30's. I look back at the amount of physical work I used to put into hunting back then and it blows me away that I could ever do that. Guaranteed heart attack or stroke if I tried to do that now.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:48 am

I'm better than I ever was, but not as good as I'm gonna be.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:59 pm

I'm praying that you will be feeling yourself tomorrow, able to scout freely, and in no need of a trip to the doc tomorrow, asking in Jesus' name.

To the other praying beasts, please lift him up with me. :pray:

Let us know what you find out there!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”