Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Re: Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:57 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I did the two longest deer drags of my hunting career this year. Bring IT. 46 years young

I hope you didn't fart while exerting yourself during that drag...

Cause you should never trust a fart over 45 - young man!

I've read about this of course - never happened to me though:)
I just have a lot of long sleeves, turned, short sleeves cause it's in style baby!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:21 am

35 and hopefully entering my prime, in much better shape than 5 years ago and equipped with some very dangerous knowledge. Things are looking good but I'm not going to take it too serious either, three young kids are going to keep me pretty darn busy over the next 15-20 years and I know we are going to have a blast so any personal goals I have can slide to the back burner.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:05 pm

Way past my prime as a deer hunter…

Still on the upswing as a big buck hunter.

Not much of a big buck hunter yet, but getting really good at enjoying my way through the woods. I bet I could hang with the best of 'em.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:54 am

bump
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:02 am

Not sure if I am past my prime or just never had the fire to hunt them seriously.

I was never mad at them like I was a duck or goose. To me deer hunting is a leisurely past time. I dearly love deer camp and I even like hunting deer in a laid back way, but I just can't motivate myself to get after them like some of my buddies.
Dustin

Unread postby Dustin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:12 am

At 23 I feel I'm far from my prime. However I feel mentally I am way ahead of the curb. Simply lack the experience in my area only hunting it for 2 years. This coming year I feel I have a real chance of harvesting a big buck but I know I'm missing a lot of the small details for consistency. I predict in 2 years I'll be starting to reach the level I expect out of my self as a big buck killer. My generation has the advantage of technology and the overwhelming availability of information which i took advantage of at a younger age and still do to this day. Reading every book, article, and forum available I feel like I have hunted the country with the biggest names and best hunters of all the times. Mentally I feel about peaked for information in how to kill big bucks and every detail about deer and deer hunting in general. Now it's all about wearing out the boots on my feet and learning every detail I can about as much public land as I can and how deer and even individual bucks use it in order to target the biggest and oldest bucks alive.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:43 am

I feel like the next 10 years could be a dangerous 10 for the mature bucks I'm after. Physically I'm in good condition, and mentally I've learned a lot. God willing, I have high expectations about what I can get done in my hunting seasons to come.

phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:00 am

Prime is a deep word for this topic. People have correctly IDed physical and mental, and there have been hints of family and work commitments, and time available. Add in opportunity (whether that be travel, ownership, luck, etc.) to hunt quality ground, and there are alot of factors that go into determining prime.

If physical and mental is all there is to calculate, you would have two inflection points, one for each. The problem is the peak of both likely do not or will not intersect, much of it being outside of your control. Even so, say you are at that intersection point where you are the highest you can be for both, but you have crap ground, or limited available time, or family commitment. So, in your peak, are you really the most effective deer hunter you'll ever be in that situation? Maybe, maybe not, because its not realized performance. Maybe you are most effective a couple years later where the body is slightly less capable, but the mind is sharp and the time and opportunity is there for the taking, making you more effective as a deer hunter because the performance is there. Chances are you are not most effective at your respective "peak" because the stars do not align often.

At 33, I'm not physically near my peak because I am past it due to back issues. I certainly have room to improve that however. I try to hunt smarter now as a result. No idea where I will be or when I was most effective as a hunter. I hope there is better to come, because I am working toward it.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:36 pm

I'll be 57 before season starts. That's well past my prime in the physical realm. I still love all things deer hunting. I spend as much time as ever reading about, watching tv/videos and scanning the Internet for hunting info. I still love to scout, plot and plan. Deer hunting is an obsession. For me it gets stronger as I get older. Which keeps me in the game. I look to the my hunting future with optimism. I truly believe my biggest bucks are in the future. I'm grateful my body is in reasonable shape. I quit drinking over 27 years ago and smoking 18 years ago. I'm reaping the benefits of that now. My downfall is sweets. Gotta have my cookies, ice cream, cake. Trying to figure how I can go to bed without sweets. It's a bad habit. Bout the only one I have. But I do need to break that habit. It'll help with the aches and pain that go with getting old. I'm learning more today than I ever have due to this site. Not to sound goofy. But I do believe I'm in my prime spiritually. This allows me to overcome many of the physical challenges. It allows me to fully enjoy the whole hunting lifestyle. It's more about the journey than the destination. My spiritual prime will never pass.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:24 pm

At 45, I am just getting warmed up.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:36 am

my body says im well past that point, my wall says im nowhere near it. ive got lots of room for improvement yet.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:47 am

I feel as far as hunting goes, I'm just getting in to it. My daughter is older now (15) so I have more free time to put into becoming a good hunter. I'm only 36 and still in great shape so I look forward to the next 10 years of hunting.
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:30 am

No
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:21 pm

whitetail007 wrote:my body says im well past that point, my wall says im nowhere near it. ive got lots of room for improvement yet.

Perfect description.

My back is shot after 6 operations but I still get out there as much as I can.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:14 pm

I am still learning, and I think the best is yet to come. I definitely need to hunt smarter these days due to available time to scout and hunt.

I realize as I get older the more physically demanding hunts will be less achievable, but I am going to enjoy it as long as I can.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”