Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

Re: Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:38 pm

Beuford, it sure sounds like you pulled a rotator cuff. I pulled both of them, once when I was hanging drywall. That hurts about as much as kidney stones. Nurse it, to special excersizes for it and it will get better. I bought a Bowflexx for the wife and this helped a lot.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:00 pm

35 here, physically, I could probably lose 20 pounds and exercise more, but a 2 year old and 4 year old and career I love and should treat me well long term but takes quite a bit of time have taken a toll on that the last two years. Starting to get back to where I want to be, but no issues doing anything I want, in the Midwest at least. Would feel totally defeated on a mountain though.

Mentally, still a ways to go. Hopefully the physical and mental curves intersect towards the apex soon and I become a machine!

Dan's post in particular got me thinking, for the guys that are still hunting hard closer to 50 or older, any regrets one way or the other for your earlier years? Wish you hunted more, or less?

Personally, I wish I dedicated myself more to bowhunting 10 years ago when time wouldn't have been an issue, and certainly physically no problems. For me I feel like I'm getting in a good place as far as knowledge, but time is my biggest hurdle. My dad has always been a pretty contented person in his situation. He was a successful bowhunter in the way he wanted to be, but retrospectively, I think for him it was more just a release from a pretty stressful corporate life. I think in some ways he wanted his hunting to be a little more relaxed, so this is kind of how I learned to hunt. I appreciate having that in me, but sort of wish I'd have taken it a step further earlier.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:05 pm

Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery:

Hunt Hard Today!

8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
jmcintee

Unread postby jmcintee » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:19 pm

I just turned 50 in November. I hunted harder last fall then I ever have. I feel the aches and pains after every physical hunt but I keep going due to the sheer joy of being in the woods. I had basically stopped hunting a few years ago due to a 60 hour a week job plus having a hobby farm that I was raising 150 steers a year on. Zero time available to hunt. I sold the farm so that I could spend more time with my new wife and my kids and so that I could start hunting again. It was a great decision.

I have to run and ride bike to stay in shape. I currently run 3.5 to 5 miles a day and plan to up this over the winter/spring. Planning to go to Montana elk hunting again this fall and want to be able to tackle the mountains like I did 15 years ago. Last 2 trips to the mountains haven't been pleasant physically.

I may be slower going forward but I will continue to put tons of effort in to hunting for as long as I can. What is "prime", have fun and put in as much effort as you care to. I think as you get older you appreciate every minute in the woods more whether it is scouting or hunting.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:20 pm

I started bow hunting at 52, deer hunting at 50.

:mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 pm

At 38 physically I can still do anything. Mentally I know I haven't reached my peak. I'm still learning about deer and mostly about bigger bucks. I've been deer hunting and paying attention for 26 years and feel I still have room for a lot of improvement.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm 27 but have days I feel much older. When I started deer hunting I hunted like most oak flats and rubs that was about it . I have learned so much since hill country bucks DVD and reading every hunting book I can get my hands on.. I do know as I continue to chase mature bucks it's a addiction I never want to end. My hunting prime has just began I have so much still to learn as a hunter.

This year I hunted more hours daylight to dark then ever before and spent many days in my Assault.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:50 pm

I hope not. I think mentally I am getting closer, but struggle to get out in the woods enough to put it all together.

makes me wish I spent more time in the woods when I was in college rather than spending entire weekends watching football and drinking cheap beer. It was fun but I was in eau claire and there were tons of aces I could have hunted!

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:58 pm

I did the two longest deer drags of my hunting career this year. Bring IT. 46 years young
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:06 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:I did the two longest deer drags of my hunting career this year. Bring IT. 46 years young

I'm the same age..........thanks Lou! You just made me feel like a winey wimp! :lol:

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Dewey wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:I did the two longest deer drags of my hunting career this year. Bring IT. 46 years young

I'm the same age..........thanks Lou! You just made me feel like a winey wimp! :lol:

Shut up, your a BEAST
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:17 pm

I meant shut up in a good way, not really shut up ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Thanks Lou. Hope I can continue for many years.

Just read in the paper about a 91 year shooting his biggest buck ever this year so that gives me hope! 8-)

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:46 am

I'm not going through growing pains anymore....

Now they're dying pains, LOL :lol:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:18 am

I'm 24 and I'm definitely in my prime physically.. I just need to learn a little more and I'm right there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”