Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Have you reached your prime as a deer hunter?

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu May 21, 2015 8:07 am

Physical age is immaterial. Physical condition is where the "rubber meets the road." At 52 and 6 back operations later I have my challenges getting around for sure. My friend that I hunt with most often is in his mid 70's and can walk most people I know regardless of age, into the ground.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu May 21, 2015 9:14 am

DaveT1963 wrote:at 52 I am just getting started :) I rode my first 100 mile bike race last year. Seriously, I feel things a lot more these days and I have to watch what I am doing more (body can't recover as fast) but I am still backpacking, sitting in a tree saddle and shooting heavy trad bows.... I have no plans on slowing down yet.

Congrats on the bike race! Sounds like pure torture to me :lol:.....those types of activities should keep you going strong for many more years.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu May 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Past prime...

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu May 21, 2015 5:51 pm

Physically I would say I'm in my prime. As far as knowledge goes, not even close to prime. My determination far outweighs my thinking cap.
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Sat May 23, 2015 4:39 am

I am in my prime physically..still learning mentally.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:23 pm

Wanted to bump this thread. Good topic for the offseason. Lots of good input to keep us in the game as we age.

I just went thru 14 weeks at 3 visits/week of chiropractic and physical therapy on my back. The years have been hard on me and x-rays show moderate degeneration thru much of my lumbar and cervical spine. (Lower back and neck)

I have lived in constant and severe pain for many years but out of shear determination and stubborness refused to let it limit what I love to do. Eventually at the end of last season I realized I was at the point I had to do something about it but wanted to avoid surgery if possible. Happy to say the hard work and therapy has me feeling much better than I have in at least 10 years. Right now I feel like I'm in my 30's again. Hoping I can maintain this thru the season but need to be smart at the same time so I don't go backwards again.

Word of advice to all you young guys.......take care of your backs. It catches up with you eventually and truly sucks when it limits what you love to do.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Interesting topic...I am not sure where I am at...but wherever I am at, I really thoroughly enjoying it. Its all about keeping it fun. I hunt for the love of the game. I am always mindful of the balance between work, family and life. I think many guys give it everything they have and in the end, lose things that mean the most.

I am only 44 so Lord willing, I have a bunch of years left. Talked with a hunting buddy tonight...really glad that I have taken the time to go on some trips and make lifetime memories with friends. You can sit back and save save save for retirement...give up a lot of good things when you are younger...hoping to retire with a big pension..only to find out you have cancer at 64. My mom has stage 4 cancer as I write this.

So while I am in my prime...and young, I have no plans of giving up hunting trips or family trips so I can put more $$ in my IRA.
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:08 pm

25 today and nowhere near my hunting prime mentally. Still a lot to learn, I think learning is continuous especially with hunting.
-Rick
PEAKRUT

Unread postby PEAKRUT » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:14 pm

I turned 50 this past April and I am not close to being physically fit. I am up to 280 damn pounds! I promise you this by Wisconsins gun season I hope to be down to 240 at least. Mentally I am in the game still more then ever.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Physically yes I'm on the backside and things I once took for granted are now more challenging..... now my heart...... different story, it still burns with the passion to see and cross one more river, climb one more ridge, distant lands and camp fires, one more adventure..... that spark still burns brightly

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:50 pm

I have thought about this more....I think prime is nothing more than a state of mind. Seems like some will never be "at their prime" only giving excuses most of their lives while others will be at their prime most of their lives. That applies to a lot of things...hunting, career, even being a parent.

Physically and mentally a hunter can always improve I don't care how big of a dog they think they are, furthermore everyone has limitations, some far greater than others. Everyone is going to make a lot of mistakes too. We can use that as an excuse to not try, even to regress, or we can use what we have to get what we want. What a hunter seeks, as well as meat hopefully, might be a big whitetail buck, maybe just adventure, or simply a little peace and quiet. That state of mind to me is "in your prime."
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:04 am

I hope from a knowledge and experience perspective I can keep growing. Meaning hunting new locations, challenging myself with new sets etc...

Physically there are things that are more challenging now than they would have been for me in my 20's. Like Jackson Marsh said, "things hurt more for a long period of time after the activity".

I could see myself at some point trading in my bow for a camera on stand, but I am not ready for that yet.
ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:19 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Interesting topic...I am not sure where I am at...but wherever I am at, I really thoroughly enjoying it. Its all about keeping it fun. I hunt for the love of the game. I am always mindful of the balance between work, family and life. I think many guys give it everything they have and in the end, lose things that mean the most.

I am only 44 so Lord willing, I have a bunch of years left. Talked with a hunting buddy tonight...really glad that I have taken the time to go on some trips and make lifetime memories with friends. You can sit back and save save save for retirement...give up a lot of good things when you are younger...hoping to retire with a big pension..only to find out you have cancer at 64. My mom has stage 4 cancer as I write this.

So while I am in my prime...and young, I have no plans of giving up hunting trips or family trips so I can put more $$ in my IRA.

Maine in hind sight you are correct. I am 58 and only started to hunt 4 years ago... too busy farming a type of work I enjoy and raising kids a hobby I enjoyed. However, As far as hunting my mind has gone from the nursery to grade 5 in four years because of friends and forums like these. My time to enjoy hunting - free time is increasing but my body has suffered a fair bit of abuse bad shoulder, bad knees, and other pain. Cardio is still great. Work hard, but enjoy life and hunting while you can... our days area all numbered. Some will hunt until they are old and some will not. Knees made me give up hockey and take up hunting. I love hunting. I loved hockey. I love work and I love my family. Make wise choices. Family members and people are eternal... everything else is temporal.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:48 am

I'll turn 27 in a little over a month. Physically, I'm heading back to the best shape of my life and can see maintaining it or even pushing into better shape through at least my 30s. This knee that was operated on twice in 2015 has a lingering pain, but nothing I can't or won't work through. My dad is still in wonderful shape in his early 50s, if I can stay on his pace I'll still be rolling then.

Mentally, I feel as if I'm clicking on all cylinders. This site and a few other things have challenged my thoughts recently, and hopefully i'll continue to learn for years to come. I enjoy learning; I really enjoy learning about something I love.

Nearly 4 years ago, I had a quick little bout with cancer. As crazy as it is to say, I'm somewhat thankful for that. There is no longer any alarm that is too early, no ridge too high, no temperature too cold or too hot, and no mileage that I won't drive.

In short, I believe I'm near reaching my prime, but there's nothing that says it can't last 20-25 years. 8-)
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:32 am

Has a hunter I would think your 40s would be prime. Your wisdom and strength come together. I know everyone is different just generally speaking.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”