Swamp and marsh Safety

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Swamp and marsh Safety

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:49 pm

dan wrote:
I would like to hear Singing Bridges take on this... He is a lot more experienced than I am with rescue operations.

This is really a complex question to answer- hunters are so different in their abilities and experience in the harsh environments we sometimes hunt.

As Dan stated for himself, I have also contemplated my demise in wilderness / big woods areas if help could not reach me in time. Lying at the bottom of a bluff with a shattered pelvis could certainly be the end, so to speak. I also am okay with it if it turns out that way, I was doing what I love most... but to temper that a bit, I have also had it pointed out to me that it is not fair to my family, close friends, etc. to think that way. This puzzled me greatly, but after spending some time thinking about it I guess maybe I was being a bit selfish.

I think my response to this issue would be what I believe to be best overall for Beast members. Tailor your plan to your personal situation and decide what criteria would alert your family or friends to notify authorities. Someone should know the general area you will be hunting, or first responders will be greatly handicapped in getting to you quickly. Remember that cell phone and flashlight batteries can go dead, etc. and decide what circumstances are truly an emergency. If you are a relative beginner to hunting and have diabetes or other types of disease your criteria may be very different from a healthy individual who has been hunting swamps their entire lifetime.

There really is no perfect answer for this question, its a tough one. As always, its better to be safe than sorry. I've pulled a lot of dead guys out of the woods and fortunately their demise was usually quick. Typically they have had a heart attack or broken their neck, sometimes they've been shot.

I've pulled a lot of guys that were alive out of the woods too, typically they had a buddy or family member that had a fair idea of where they were hunting. I've also pulled guys out of the swamp that spent the night in the woods, and they thought they were goners for sure... they had a wild look in their eye and ran at me when I found them like a crazed lunatic, so to speak.

SB

Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:47 am

Fog in the marsh is about as thick as you can find it. Better have a compass or GPS if it rolls in over night.\

Horrible to navigate in a boat through it. You can run up on a log or a sandbar real quick.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:31 pm

I know a duck hunter that talked about marsh skis. Anyone ever hear of them?? We got on the subject and quickly asked him if he sees big bucks out there. He said the biggest one he ever saw wa miles back in Horicon. I wonder if you can do ok with a canoe?
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:22 pm

ihookem wrote:I know a duck hunter that talked about marsh skis. Anyone ever hear of them?? We got on the subject and quickly asked him if he sees big bucks out there. He said the biggest one he ever saw wa miles back in Horicon. I wonder if you can do ok with a canoe?

An old trapper once told me he use to wear skis while water trapping on thin ice in order to distribute his weight to help prevent breaking through. Not sure if that would really work or not but I'm assuming marsh skis are suppose to act like snow shoes but in the muck? Either way your playing with fire in those kinds of situations and conditions

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:26 am

bump
Bearpawon

Unread postby Bearpawon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Awesome thread. Anyone ever try the swamp skis or mudder boots like the ones in this video?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7jV5B2UIMAk
Bearpawon

Unread postby Bearpawon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:43 pm

Just a heads up, Some of the YouTube comments say that the mudders don't work when submerged underwater. For example you're walking in a swamp with 6" of water with the mud underneath, they won't work the same. They're only good for surface mud
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Swamp Safety

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:35 pm

checkerfred wrote:One idea I had was to take a collapsible painters pole for a walking stick/depth detector

Oooh good idea
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:57 am

PK_ wrote:This past season was my first 'scare'. I was wading through some very typical marsh terrain for me. Water was only a at my thighs and the bottom was just a little 'spongy'. All the sudden I took a step with my left foot and when i went to plant it, I stepped into what was a gator hole or something. My left foot sank and did not stop until my crotch hit the muck. From what I could feel the hole was around 2-3' in diameter and DEEP. Sinking into that hole with my one leg put the water level right about at my neck. Luckily I was carrying my gun in my right hand and got it up over my head before I went under. My phone was in my pocket and thankfully the otter box kept it nearly dry…

I am honestly thinking of going with chest waders and wearing a PFD, and keeping the phone in a ziplock…

Imagine going down with a stand on your back, freezing water, things could turn BAD, FAST.

Wading through the swamp early one morning, briefly was turned around, and instantly I was up to my thighs.
This was during a wet year. When the rivers were swollen and the gators meander into the swamps.

Wasn't a good feeling. I find a small high spot, waited til the sun came up and got my bearings.

I agree with the waders as well. I've considered it. But boy you dont want to go into the 4' hole and have them fill up.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:48 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
checkerfred wrote:One idea I had was to take a collapsible painters pole for a walking stick/depth detector

Oooh good idea

I haven’t done this yet. I’ll usually try one leg at a time and if it’s gets too deep back out. I use hip boots now and figure if it’s deeper than that I need other means to cross like raft or kayak. Sometimes I’ll cut a stick and use it to test too

Sailfish_WC wrote:
PK_ wrote:This past season was my first 'scare'. I was wading through some very typical marsh terrain for me. Water was only a at my thighs and the bottom was just a little 'spongy'. All the sudden I took a step with my left foot and when i went to plant it, I stepped into what was a gator hole or something. My left foot sank and did not stop until my crotch hit the muck. From what I could feel the hole was around 2-3' in diameter and DEEP. Sinking into that hole with my one leg put the water level right about at my neck. Luckily I was carrying my gun in my right hand and got it up over my head before I went under. My phone was in my pocket and thankfully the otter box kept it nearly dry…

I am honestly thinking of going with chest waders and wearing a PFD, and keeping the phone in a ziplock…

Imagine going down with a stand on your back, freezing water, things could turn BAD, FAST.

Wading through the swamp early one morning, briefly was turned around, and instantly I was up to my thighs.
This was during a wet year. When the rivers were swollen and the gators meander into the swamps.

Wasn't a good feeling. I find a small high spot, waited til the sun came up and got my bearings.

I agree with the waders as well. I've considered it. But boy you dont want to go into the 4' hole and have them fill up.

Glad we don’t have to worry about gators! If I used waders I’d try a wader belt. It will keep most of the water out if you go under. I just don’t like waders. I end up sweating so bad in them no matter what.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:35 am

Yea wafers just dont seem to breathe so you get hot then you get cold
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:43 am

Early season in the marsh = jungle boots
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 am

I carry a compass headlamp and mini mag lite and 4 batteries every time and get a headlamp that runs on same batteries as you backup light try and make all your electronics use same batteries. it can save your but.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Jonny wrote:Early season in the marsh = jungle boots

Just ran into this thread again. I think Dewey might have linked to it recently. Always a good one to review.

Jonny... any particular brand or style of jungle boot? I’m thinking of doing this in early season.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:00 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Jonny wrote:Early season in the marsh = jungle boots

Just ran into this thread again. I think Dewey might have linked to it recently. Always a good one to review.

Jonny... any particular brand or style of jungle boot? I’m thinking of doing this in early season.

I have a pair of nikes and Dewey has these https://uspatriottactical.com/otb-jungl ... oots-sage/

Only advice I have is to pick a pair with drain holes on the side and in the sole. Mine hold no water in them. I’ve seen some with only holes on the sides so your still have some water trapped.

I know guys are against Nike, but it was really easy for me to buy them cause I know exactly what size is always good for me, and I can return them easily in person.

Oh. And break them in now. Not on your first hunt.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”