Do you carry a pistol while bow hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jbone23

Re: Do you carry a pistol while bow hunting?

Unread postby jbone23 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:47 am

Only do in states with a bad hog problem. Accidentally gotten between a sow and her piglets more than once and it gets heated real fast.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:12 pm

No I don't.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
warhog23
Facebook: corey policaro

Unread postby warhog23 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Yup i do. I know of people that have been surrounded by coyotes coming out of the woods. And yes a meth or pot head will come after u if u stumble upon his little workshop bc guess what... He is there for know one to find out. Especially if he is messed up or thinks he's a thug. And bigfoot does exist! And when i get him im gonna auction his corpse off to the highest bidder and be so rich i can buy the biggest chunk of land out there and still carry then.

Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Always carry.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:40 pm

I carry a 9 shot .22 revolver any day over 60 degrees which is 90% of our season. Rarely a hunt I don't kill a water moccasin, seems there's one in every puddle here in La. Killed on scouting today and missed one with my truck yesterday.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BACKSTRAPALIEN

Unread postby BACKSTRAPALIEN » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:22 am

If it was legal here in the communist state of NJ i would. As far as carrying in spite of state law and standing on the constitution, well thats foolish. Suppose you shot someone who you deemed a threat while "illegaly" carrying in NJ. You'd be in Rahway state pen for a very long time. Ill take my chances. if some nutjob job kills me in the woods my family will get a big fat insurance check, If im in prison they get zero and id rather be dead than in prison anyway.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:56 pm

Two years ago an illegal alien was arrested in connection with a body found in a nearby national forest. Turns out he was a hit man for a cartel in Mexico and was connected to many more murders out west.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:36 am

It is amazing how a group of guys will back down at the sight of a gun.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:02 am

Think this guy wished he was carrying?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/03/mo ... -says.html

I realize he wasn't hunting but anybody that doesn't carry in grizzly territory better have good life insurance. That little can of pepper spray won't cut it.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:49 am

Dewey wrote:Think this guy wished he was carrying?

I realize he wasn't hunting but anybody that doesn't carry in grizzly territory better have good life insurance. That little can of pepper spray won't cut it.

Dewey a pistol probably won't do much good either. If you want to carry in griz country better make it a shotgun or its probably a waste of time. Guys who think they can stop a changing bear with a pistol that's coming at them so fast you barely have time to soil your pants let alone take an accurate pistol shot have watched way too many movies.

In regard to the thread's question, I have said it before and will say it again....in the woods that I hunt is about the only place I know I don't need to carry a gun for protection. Yep there are some crazy stories that get paraded around, and maybe other parts of the country are much worse, but I sleep soundly every night knowing the odds are in my favor. The concrete jungle is a whole different story.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:29 am

JoeRE wrote:

Dewey a pistol probably won't do much good either. If you want to carry in griz country better make it a shotgun or its probably a waste of time. Guys who think they can stop a changing bear with a pistol that's coming at them so fast you barely have time to soil your pants let alone take an accurate pistol shot have watched way too many movies.

In regard to the thread's question, I have said it before and will say it again....in the woods that I hunt is about the only place I know I don't need to carry a gun for protection. Yep there are some crazy stories that get paraded around, and maybe other parts of the country are much worse, but I sleep soundly every night knowing the odds are in my favor. The concrete jungle is a whole different story.

Not talking a little 9mm. In that country you better have the biggest baddest caliber around. I agree things happen fast but at least you would have more of a fighting chance other than stabbing a griz with your broad head or punching with your fists. Playing dead might work till he clamps onto your body.

kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:39 am

In the story I read he did have a handgun. Just couldn't get to it in time.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:33 am

kripp53 wrote:

In the story I read he did have a handgun. Just couldn't get to it in time.

Man as I read his full story on the Facebook page all I could think of was the scene from the Revenant. Crazy that he got himself out and maintained composure the whole time. I bet many in that situation wouldn't have had the same outcome.

nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:16 am

I always carry a pistol everywhere I go. Luckily here in maine we are allowed to concealed carry. With the amount of black bear encounters I have had the last couple of years I usually carry my fullsize m&p 45 outside of my waistband. Gives me peace of mind when hiking back to the truck well after dark.

Tuffdaddy

Unread postby Tuffdaddy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:06 am

I carry all the time as well, whether in the woods, or anywhere else. I usually carry my M&P 40 in the event I get a poke at a coyote (has a 4" barrel, vs my XDs' 3" barrel which would be illegal to shoot a coyote with). My wife used to ask why I have to carry to the theater, restaraunt, etc., until the all the shootings in each of the various places they've happened. She is just used to me carrying now, and it's like carrying a wallet these days. Don't leave the house without it (and a couple of spare mags).

My brother in law uses a leg holster as it keeps his gun below his pack and what not. He ground hunts and hasn't complained about any rubbing, but I'd have to ask him. I just carry mine in a retention holster so it doesn't fall out when I'm climbing through the brush and such.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”