Sanctuaries

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Sanctuaries

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:48 am

Yep good post Sam. I thought I knew alot about deer, and I mean a lot before I joined this site. Didn't take long to realize I am just scratching the surface and I have a long way to go.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Sam Ubl wrote:This discussion, combined with so many more, has added elements to my fundamental approach that have definitely heightened the level of detail by which I strategize before entering the deer woods today. Stand placement, stand height, entrance/exit routes to and from the stand, thermals and overall saving time, money and energy on scent control by finally coming to terms with my previous misconception of scent control have all played significant hands in the why's, when's and where's of my hunting. The inputs shared throughout this particular discussion have hit on countless nuggets of gold that I keep in my pocket and put to use as best I can at this point in my hunting career. I admit I've battled the stubborn ego of learning on my own since a very early age.

As a young teenager, I denied the invitation to take guitar lessons. I thought I could learn on my own and eventually be the one giving lessons.. I got to a certain point I could make some music, but the time it took to get to the point versus where I could have been had I taken the lessons, well, I can't get that time back. Hunting can be very similar to this frame of mind. In some instances, learning on your own can have benefits. It allows you to learn through trial and error, which ultimately teaches you the details behind the "why not's" and "why that's" when it comes to deer hunting. Discussions like this brings so many minds together full of experiences all of their own, and if you page through the reply's on this topic alone, hardly anyone holds back from giving the reasons behind their inputs - there's no $0.02 here, it's pure gold. My point is I'd have been a fool to let ego get in the way of accepting the little gold nuggets offered here and not put them to use 8-)

Today, my confidence to my approach is tenfold what it used to be with a bow in my hand. As a musky fisherman, I don't waste time gambling on luck or chance - I fish strictly based on logic I believe in, which makes hours without seeing a fish go by way too fast because I'm having fun knowing it could be any cast. I've been bowhunting now for 17 years, but in the last couple years I've gotten closer to big bucks on a more consistent basis than ever before. Confidence is key, and so is patience. This discussion has given me the confidence to move in closer to the real sanctuaries - buck beds, and patience reminds me that I'm in the right spot given the conditions and time of day, so if he doesn't show, he simply wasn't there that evening. In the mornings, if he doesn't show, than all it tells me is I've got work to do - I have to find where else he's bedding and why.

Last year I said to heck with leaving the land I have to hunt to be untouched and I got my feet wet. I became more mobile, I got creative, and I got close to a couple bedding areas I learned from initially dedicating some time to an observation stand and much, MUCH more scouting over the off-season. The end result, blood on my hands and two new racks on my wall since 2010 when I first started this topic. :dance:

A lot of words, but I've hardly posted in over a year, so I guess I laid it on ya. Good hunting to all!

Good post Sam... I think you need a little of that do it yourself mentality, and a open mind to new ideas... For me, I listen to everybodys input, but really, I need to see it or do it for myself to fully believe...
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Good post Sam. Continue to put more bone on the wall and your BIL will come around.!
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:29 pm

ttt
TJS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/travis.sweet.5

Unread postby TJS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Some good reading to say the least....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
When that big buck walks towards you this fall, concentrate on your breathing and get your eyes off his antlers.

TJS
mtmaggard

Unread postby mtmaggard » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:04 pm

I am glad this thread was bumped. I enjoyed reading it.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:39 am

Love this thread, feel like I am at a Sanctuaries Anonymous meeting.

My name is headgear and I hunt sanctuaries.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:03 am

Stanley wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:
Stanley wrote: If you are going to hunt bedded bucks on public ground in Iowa you better contact Chris Angel as a guide ( he can walk on water, I've seen him do it).

Id take my chances with Dan Infalt or Andrae D'Aquisto.. :mrgreen:

You seem pretty sure that it cant be done, so maybe you should just stick with whats been working for you for the past 50 years..Not trying to be a jerk, but you just seem to discredit everything these guys are saying..

I have heard or read something about that guy for hunting violations or something(can't remember).
I got a great idea there chief, why don't you come down here and show me how it's done. I have public ground just a few miles from here. You seem to talk the talk I would like to see you walk the walk. One more thing maybe you should just keep your 2 bit opinion to yourself on how I should stick with whats working for me, that is not up to you. Not trying to be a jerk of course.

ahhh, the good ole days, when Stanley said what was really on his mind.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:42 am

headgear wrote:Love this thread, feel like I am at a Sanctuaries Anonymous meeting.

My name is headgear and I hunt sanctuaries.

My name is Shawn. Its been 2 days since I last stepped into a sanctuary. I get the shakes just thinking of them.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:44 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
Stanley wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:
Stanley wrote: If you are going to hunt bedded bucks on public ground in Iowa you better contact Chris Angel as a guide ( he can walk on water, I've seen him do it).

You seem pretty sure that it cant be done, so maybe you should just stick with whats been working for you for the past 50 years..Not trying to be a jerk, but you just seem to discredit everything these guys are saying..

I have heard or read something about that guy for hunting violations or something(can't remember).
I got a great idea there chief, why don't you come down here and show me how it's done. I have public ground just a few miles from here. You seem to talk the talk I would like to see you walk the walk. One more thing maybe you should just keep your 2 bit opinion to yourself on how I should stick with whats working for me, that is not up to you. Not trying to be a jerk of course.

:lol:

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:06 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
Stanley wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:

I never did much reading or watching hunting shows on TV so I never heard of Dan Infalt or Andrae D'Aquisto before I joined the Beast. One of my Uncles informed me Uncle Jimmy farmed right in the area Andrae D'Aquisto owns ground now. In fact My uncle Jimmy may have farmed part of the ground Andrae D'Acquisto now owns. That was over 50 years ago and Jimmy is no longer on this earth. So you never know, what you don't know. ;) :lol:

I like the fact that Dan can show us what he has done not how he could have done it. I do have a profound respect for Dan's buck hunting skills. I don't mind people showing me how they did it. I don't want to hear how it could/should have been done. I never did like working for a boss that knew less than me. ;) I still pretty much tell it like it is, just try to be more subtle.

Dan and I are still at odds on my rubber boot systematic plan, but I am not going to stop because Dan says it doesn't work. ;) :lol: :lol: I also don't expect Dan to adapt to my boot system why should he? It doesn't work. ;) :lol: :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:17 am

There are a lot of differences between successful hunters. No two guys will agree on everything if they are truly great hunters. They will listen, but will let there own observations decide what to believe and what not to. No doubt, Stan is one of those great deer hunters...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:23 am

Got to reading on this thread again. Some great discussions on this thread. Well worth going back over again.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:15 am

Haha I went thru the whole thing at work last night, you can't make this stuff up! Sure made for a quick night shift!

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:06 am

What I see in this thread is several people each looking at a different side of the same box that has a different color on each side, then arguing about what color the box is.

A buck without a sanctuary is a dead buck.

A property without a sanctuary (intentional or otherwise) is a property lacking a resident mature buck.

Treating a 200 yard radius around a buck's bed as 'off limits' except for a select few times per year is essentially creating a 20-30 acre (not super confident in my math there) sanctuary, around the bed.

'Beast style' hunting is scouting to find 'sanctuaries'(buck bedding/staging areas), then hunting the fringes (overlapping shooting and staging radius') only on a select few hunts under the right conditions.

I think the main beef most guys in this thread have is with the idea of just 'randomly' marking off a section of land without really knowing the precise bedding… IDK…

I think strategically placed and well utilized sanctuaries are a small tract owner/manager/hunter's best bet for big bucks. I also think 'Beast style' is the public/pressured land hunter's best bet for big bucks. Although they appear to be different I believe fundamentally the strategies are one in the same; To let a buck live unmolested within a certain area and eventually to kill him on the edge or just within the area where you have provided him with the illusion of safety.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”