Sanctuaries

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Sanctuaries

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:12 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:
I think strategically placed and well utilized sanctuaries are a small tract owner/manager/hunter's best bet for big bucks. I also think 'Beast style' is the public/pressured land hunter's best bet for big bucks. Although they appear to be different I believe fundamentally the strategies are one in the same; [glow=red]To let a buck live unmolested within a certain area and eventually to kill him on the edge or just within the area where you have provided him with the illusion of safety.[/glow]

Boom! I agree.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:20 pm

JoeRE wrote:
PalmettoKid wrote:
I think strategically placed and well utilized sanctuaries are a small tract owner/manager/hunter's best bet for big bucks. I also think 'Beast style' is the public/pressured land hunter's best bet for big bucks. Although they appear to be different I believe fundamentally the strategies are one in the same; [glow=red]To let a buck live unmolested within a certain area and eventually to kill him on the edge or just within the area where you have provided him with the illusion of safety.[/glow]

Boom! I agree.

Agree with everything but "small tract"...it rarely works on small tracts. You can own his core and lose him when he finally starts moving (the edges) during daylight. I've dealt with this personally and it is very frustrating. You need large acreage for sanctuaries to work as intended.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:17 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Agree with everything but "small tract"...it rarely works on small tracts. You can own his core and lose him when he finally starts moving (the edges) during daylight. I've dealt with this personally and it is very frustrating. You need large acreage for sanctuaries to work as intended.

I don't totally agree. It just depends on what's around it and what's going on around it.

I do agree that you'll never totally "contain" a buck on your ground unless you own a huge amount of property. They're going to travel at some point. How many times have we talked about hunting the overlooked spots? the places nobody goes into? Sometimes these are not very large areas at all, but they're sanctuaries, whether they are intended to be or not. If you have a small property with heavy hunting pressure around it and set aside an area as a safe zone, deer will use it if it has the cover needed to make them feel safe. On small tracts, these areas can be hunted easily and still leave the integrity of the sanctuary alone. My 2 best bucks came from just such a situation.

I hunted a 60 acre farm a few years ago and the lady that owned it wanted no hunting on what was once a 10 acre field for sentimental reasons. It had grown up with trees, briars, honeysuckle, and such. It was situated right in the middle of the farm. Deer constantly used it for bedding. Hunting pressure was heavy at times around the neighboring properties. At first I wanted in there bad but soon seen the value of it. Since it was in the middle of the farm I could hunt anywhere around it depending on weather, how the deer were moving, whatever. I always thought it was a perfect setup.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:41 am

PalmettoKid wrote:To let a buck live unmolested within a certain area and eventually to kill him on the edge or just within the area where you have provided him with the illusion of safety.

Love this line, a very accurate description of how we want to setup on a buck. Its no easy task to get this kind of setup but it is something I dream about on every hunt.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:17 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
PalmettoKid wrote:

Boom! I agree.

Agree with everything but "small tract"...it rarely works on small tracts. You can own his core and lose him when he finally starts moving (the edges) during daylight. I've dealt with this personally and it is very frustrating. You need large acreage for sanctuaries to work as intended

Well, if you own his core then you should have first crack at him.

I mean small tracts you only have two options really. You can be in there a lot and the deer can be in there a little, or the deer can be in there a lot and you can be in there a little…

I really disagree, I think the smaller the tract the more important it is to have a sanctuary. But that's just me, I don't own or manage land so it's really a moot point for me.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:17 pm

My opinion on the sanctuaries is that is the most important thing when it comes to killing big mature bucks. I have killed most of my bucks i feel because i do the sanctuary thing.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:40 am

I found this thread both entertaining and informative. I've never owned or hunted private so I subscribe to going in as soon as possible to a bucks core area and taking my chances when the first available conditions call for it. When my spots aren't right, I fill my doe tags on doe bedding areas lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:01 am

Just read through the entire "Sanctuaries" thread. I actually learned a lot. As a newer member my question is; Can any of you recommend any other older threads that are just as informative and educational? There's so much on here and it's hard sometimes to decerne the more educational stuff.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:57 pm

stash59 wrote:Just read through the entire "Sanctuaries" thread. I actually learned a lot. As a newer member my question is; Can any of you recommend any other older threads that are just as informative and educational? There's so much on here and it's hard sometimes to decerne the more educational stuff.

try here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:38 pm

Ok. I will admit, resurrecting an old thread. Just had to share a bit on the "sanctuary theory". In 2010, we were hunting land we had permission on. 2009 we obtained that permission. There was a section of cedars that got me all excited when I saw it. Told my newbie recruit..."no matter what we do, we need to get on this ground". And we did. 2009, we saw a buck that was a booner. Did not see him till I was tagged out...scouting the property.

2010, I was fortunate to tag out on freak buck on the second day. So, my buddy had the run of the property. We had another farm we had scouted. Counted 200 rubs around the edge of a flooded corn patch. Sick amount of sign. My buddy went into the edge of the cedars that I mentioned above to pull a stand to use in the other spot. He came back out wide eyed and crazy..."I just saw the BIGGEST buck I have ever seen in my life!" Jumped him. Told him he needed to get right back in to hunt that area.

24hrs later, that place went CRAZY ...doe came in. Wouldn't you know it? He showed back up. My buddy proceeded to shoot him in the hip...buck was coming to his decoy and he had no idea what was happening...lol. Next day, I saw that buck crossing the driveway limping. WHAT A SLUG. Another guy found his shed next year. Scored 83"!!!

2011 Buck shrunk a little. Same "sanctuary" -- same bed. Buddy MISSED him wide open at 25yds. lol. Guess he was bit rattled. Now comes the sanctuary theory...Guy that hunted that property...he said "Oh I never go in there it is a sanctuary!" He had only seen the buck once and he was a resident who lived there!

Glad we did not know about the sanctuary...lol.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Maine, nothing wrong with bumping up an old thread. Its encouraged on here, adding something new. This isn't the only thread to span many years. Good observations.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:40 pm

On a sidenote, that buck we saw in 2009 2010 2011 and 2012. We figured he was 5.5 in 2009. So he was old in 2012. That was the last chance we had at him. I was in a funnel. He came in following a doe. Had him straight on at 20yds. The doe walked right by me at 12yds. Figured he would do the same. At this point, he was probably 275-300lbs live weight. He was so big bodied, his legs looked short. Antlers had shrunk...all mass, looked like cactus coming off his head.

He ended up coming through the funnel, taking a parallel trail. I could not should. So here I am, with a 160" 8.5 yr old monarch at 4yds and I have no shot!! This was the point when I figured out, my stand was off and I was too close to the funnel. Last time I ever saw this buck.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:08 pm

Here's a set of shed antlers and 4 bucks I've killed out out of my sanctuary. Its only about 10 acres. Heavy pressure all around. I only hunt it when the time is right usually late Oct. The buck in the middle of the sheds is only about a 110" 10 point. The sheds are 150". This is in heavy hunted southern Michigan. Sanctuaries work in this area. I only go in there one day in late winter to look for sheds and do habitat work. Only hunt it one or two days a year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:26 am

Hawthorne wrote:Image

Here's a set of shed antlers and 4 bucks I've killed out out of my sanctuary. Its only about 10 acres. Heavy pressure all around. I only hunt it when the time is right usually late Oct. The buck in the middle of the sheds is only about a 110" 10 point. The sheds are 150". This is in heavy hunted southern Michigan. Sanctuaries work in this area. I only go in there one day in late winter to look for sheds and do habitat work. Only hunt it one or two days a year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Great bucks! But that is not a sanctuary as I understand it. A sanctuary is a spot you NEVER go into unless its to recover a deer. I saw a bowhunt or die video...a guy in Wisc shot a deer poorly...ran onto neighbor. He was gushing about how big of deal it was to go in the neighbors "sanctuary" as the neighbor has NEVER been into that piece of woods and he owned the property!
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:32 am

I think in many cases, the term sanctuary is a bit generic in that it means something a little different to everyone. I suppose it would make more sense if there were one standard definition, but there's not. When we first started this discussion, I was into my first season on a private piece of 125 acres. The land is long and narrow with a roadway abutting the front, a river tracing the backside and competing hunting pressure on the left and right.

To effectively access the backside of the piece without bumping deer the whole way in and scenting up the place, taking a small boat down the river was the best strategy to hunt that end of the land. With the shorter days in the fall, along with long work days, taking the time to deploy the boat strategy was counter productive - at least for evening sits.

So it wasn't so much by choice so much as it was the natural time constraints that kept me from invading the backside of this particular piece.

When gun season arrived, we went in and killed two big bucks between the four of us. Had that season not been EAB, we would have had three big bucks on the wall after opening day of that firearms season.

That first winter having access to this land I left tracks everywhere all the way until mid-summer the very next year. I learned how the deer moved to and from neighboring food sources using the cover of the dogwood and tag alder thickets that meander throughout this piece. I discovered classic swamp beds in the lowland areas and made sense of the staging areas. I was able to piece together the rut activity I witness from observation stands over 400 yards away from the area I hadn't accessed the season prior except for gun season; I could see into there from a tall tree.

I knew that next season I needed to saddle up and go in just once for a hang-and-hunt. I brought the boat to work, parked in an inconspicuous spot, made up an excuse to leave early, changed in the car, slipped the boat in and went to work. That evening I killed a big 6-point not 50-yards from his bed. That was my first Beast Style kill done on purpose.

I learned a lot those first two seasons how to most effectively hunt that small acreage. Limited intrusions, minding the wind, strategic entrance and exits, and with a LW with sticks on my back, I have since been able to kill 6 big bucks over the last 6 years there Beast Style. All of these bucks have fallen in what I initially considered the "sanctuary" I originally planned to leave alone until gun season.

A little long winded, but maybe my lessons will help someone...
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”