Sanctuaries

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Sanctuaries

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:33 am

Buck snort wrote:
Stanley wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:
Stanley wrote: If you are going to hunt bedded bucks on public ground in Iowa you better contact Chris Angel as a guide ( he can walk on water, I've seen him do it).

Id take my chances with Dan Infalt or Andrae D'Aquisto.. :mrgreen:

You seem pretty sure that it cant be done, so maybe you should just stick with whats been working for you for the past 50 years..Not trying to be a jerk, but you just seem to discredit everything these guys are saying..

I have heard or read something about that guy for hunting violations or something(can't remember).
I got a great idea there chief, why don't you come down here and show me how it's done. I have public ground just a few miles from here. You seem to talk the talk I would like to see you walk the walk. One more thing maybe you should just keep your 2 bit opinion to yourself on how I should stick with whats working for me, that is not up to you. Not trying to be a jerk of course.

Stanley, I thought you were a bed hunter? Now I am confused.

That was a few years ago kind of a heated subject at the time. Sometimes to stop a water pipe leak we use a Stillson wrench or do we use a pipe wrench? The main thing is to stop the water leak no matter what you call the wrench. :think: So sometimes confusion is merely an interpretation of something by someone. This was a great thread to sort through.

I have never killed a buck that didn't use a bed, neither has anyone else. Sometimes it takes awhile for that information to sink in. :think:

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:27 am

I have never killed a buck that didn't use a bed, neither has anyone else. Sometimes it takes awhile for that information to sink in.

Nice... I always admired your way of wording things. That one made me chuckle!
Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:48 am

dan wrote:
I have never killed a buck that didn't use a bed, neither has anyone else. Sometimes it takes awhile for that information to sink in.

Nice... I always admired your way of wording things. That one made me chuckle!

Yep, that's hilarious!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:56 pm

I just wanted to thank all the contributors to this specific thread. I just read the entire thing, and immediately can see the good habits and bad habits we used in hunting our private land a certain way for years. In the last month since discovering The Beast, I have totally immersed myself in the information here, as well as beginning to put it to use in the field and scouting for next season.

I have historically left our land alone until rut, and I have had some success, defined as some nice 2.5 or 3.5 year old deer. But no mature bucks. I know what needs to happen now, and how to be much more careful with the land the rest of the year.

Any threads on how to convince relatives to change their ways? I talked about the concept of locating and hunting buck bedding with my dad, and he immediately responded with a comment about hauling bait into the bedding area. :snooty:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:31 pm

WISCOANDY wrote:I just wanted to thank all the contributors to this specific thread. I just read the entire thing, and immediately can see the good habits and bad habits we used in hunting our private land a certain way for years. In the last month since discovering The Beast, I have totally immersed myself in the information here, as well as beginning to put it to use in the field and scouting for next season.

I have historically left our land alone until rut, and I have had some success, defined as some nice 2.5 or 3.5 year old deer. But no mature bucks. I know what needs to happen now, and how to be much more careful with the land the rest of the year.

Any threads on how to convince relatives to change their ways? I talked about the concept of locating and hunting buck bedding with my dad, and he immediately responded with a comment about hauling bait into the bedding area. :snooty:

That's a tough one... Especially with Dad's or elders... My dad probably shot less than 5 deer in his lifetime, but was always giving me advice about what I was doing wrong, or could do better, despite the fact that I was shooting 5 or more deer a year. For me, it was a respect thing. I always treated my father with respect and listened to what he had to say. To him I was a boy who needed guidance, to me I was a man who felt he should recognize my achievements. Boy, what I would give to have one more day standing over a big dead buck of the size he had never taken listening to him tell me what I did wrong. :lol: in the end, he looked up to me as a great hunter, which meant a lot to me, but it takes a lot to get a Dad to realize his boy is better at something. One day you will miss Dad, like I miss mine... I think the best way to change someones way of thinking, Dad or not Dad, is to lead by example... People don't seek advice from guys like Stanly because of his incredible looks. They trust him cause of whats hanging on his wall... You gotta back up what you say with evidence it works. Go out there and kill the biggest buck on the property and people will look at you differently and start to trust your judgment.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:02 am

WISCOANDY wrote:I just wanted to thank all the contributors to this specific thread. I just read the entire thing, and immediately can see the good habits and bad habits we used in hunting our private land a certain way for years. In the last month since discovering The Beast, I have totally immersed myself in the information here, as well as beginning to put it to use in the field and scouting for next season.

I struggle getting my Dad to wrap his hands around Beast tactics. Old habits die hard.

If I were you, first thing id do is show him the buck line up. Then this thread. Then Dan's DVD's. If it doesn't sink in after that, it will probably be an uphill battle.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:26 am

Also, everyone doesn't need to hunt like a beast, in fact, most just won't do it. Whether they don't get it, or get it but are too lazy, it's not for everyone.

My dad is close to 70 and it's just not really in the cards for him to be terribly mobile or bounce around as much as he used to. He's got good sets and keeps them as fresh as possible on our land. For the last couple of years, I've skewed more and more towards public around us to try and give him some space. To me, might be better to let them hunt the way they want, and if you think its compromising you, or not what you want, spend some time branching out.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:56 pm

I believe there is a time and place for everything and that includes Sanctuaries! Afew examples of how I used them in my favor. If the surrounding properties are gonna get some heavy pressure and u r not positive the buck u r after is in your home court make a sanctuary, do long distance recon and put out as many cameras as you got at places to get night time pics of him coming and going. Open gates, make a low spot in fence etc. check that mug every morning and when u see his smiley face coming in to bed. Move in that eve. And really the only other reason I've ever done it was because I hunted in a 1 buck county and it would take a monster to put me on the sidelines in October. Never under estimate good long distance safe intell.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Finch85

Unread postby Finch85 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:11 am

So what is a sanctuary?!?! Ha, just kidding. :lol:

Just making my way down the list of best tactical threads of all time and finished this one. I like those shorter threads like the 5-10 page ones, I cringed when I saw this was 17 pages. Good stuff though!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:24 am

Well it took me literally all day to read through this thread of great knowledge and debate. There is a lot of great information on here from many great hunters! Definitely one for the books and glad to have been able to read it! :D

Thank you headgear for pointing this out to me!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:19 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Thank you headgear for pointing this out to me!

I should probably go back and re-read it myself, its been a while. :lol:
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:31 pm

Lockdown wrote:

I struggle getting my Dad to wrap his hands around Beast tactics. Old habits die hard.

If I were you, first thing id do is show him the buck line up. Then this thread. Then Dan's DVD's. If it doesn't sink in after that, it will probably be an uphill battle.

my dad is a different breed of old time hunter I grew up being aggressive and hunting bedding me and my dad used to hammer on the bucks every day and chase them clear across the county probably a little to aggressive :lol: but we always got it done. sadly the old man cant psychically do it anymore. change him or not just cherish the time you guys have every season. if my old man said he wanted to go hunting again id carry all 200 pounds of him in on my back threw the thickest nastiest swamp we hunted and put him in his favorite stand.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:16 am

I enjoy Jeff Sturgis's videos. He clearly doesn't preach the same strategy as Dan's but I enjoy learning what I can from him and thinking about how I can apply it to Beast methods.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:59 am

Octang wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
I enjoy Jeff Sturgis's videos. He clearly doesn't preach the same strategy as Dan's but I enjoy learning what I can from him and thinking about how I can apply it to Beast methods.

I agree, very educational content & smart guy. He is a member here as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”