Dans 5 star froglegs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Dans 5 star froglegs

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:05 pm

JakeB wrote:What are you guys gaining with the frog legs that a pair of lacrosse big cheif's can't do?

I’ve owned both. The 5 star frog legs are more durable in swamps. They won’t rip and tear like rubber will

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:13 am

JAK wrote:Has anyone but them through the test of full rifel season of deer drives ? Sick of patching my boots

This^^^im In hip boots all the time during gun season. The 5 stars just look too bulky and hot. The best hippers I’ve owned were made by Cabelas. I can’t remember the name/model. But now I’m just wearing cheap $40 ones. I like that they’re not insulated, but they have no support. I wear old pants over them to protect the boots from tears. So they last....this is year 4 or 5 on them. I’d like to upgrade but I’m not sure the 5 stars are going to be what I’m looking for. If I can get 5 years out of these cheap things, do I need to spend $200 on those 5 stars? Idk. I was looking on amazon last night. They have plenty of options there.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:00 pm

matt1336 wrote:
JAK wrote:Has anyone but them through the test of full rifel season of deer drives ? Sick of patching my boots

This^^^im In hip boots all the time during gun season. The 5 stars just look too bulky and hot. The best hippers I’ve owned were made by Cabelas. I can’t remember the name/model. But now I’m just wearing cheap $40 ones. I like that they’re not insulated, but they have no support. I wear old pants over them to protect the boots from tears. So they last....this is year 4 or 5 on them. I’d like to upgrade but I’m not sure the 5 stars are going to be what I’m looking for. If I can get 5 years out of these cheap things, do I need to spend $200 on those 5 stars? Idk. I was looking on amazon last night. They have plenty of options there.

Yea I was sort of thinking the same thing they looked bulky and hot.. and even with patches I'm sure I'll get 4 years out of my 60 doller pair.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:08 am

Just got my Five Star Frog Legs installed on a pair of LaCrosse Aeroheads. My first thought was......holy crap these things are loud!! :shock:

Do they get better with use? At this point I’m thinking about covering them in Stealth Strips. The way they are now there’s no way I’m sneaking within 200 yards of a buck bed without being heard. :o
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:17 am

Dewey wrote:Just got my Five Star Frog Legs installed on a pair of LaCrosse Aeroheads. My first thought was......holy crap these things are loud!! :shock:

Do they get better with use? At this point I’m thinking about covering them in Stealth Strips. The way they are now there’s no way I’m sneaking within 200 yards of a buck bed without being heard. :o

I have the snake proof froglegs installed on a pair of LaCrosse Aerohead Snake boots...I love them...they are noisy if you rub them against each other, but I guess I'm so scrawny I typically don't have a problem with it. What about doing like someone else said and put some sweat pants or something over them? I've never used stealth strips so not sure how they'd do constantly in and out of water? These things are tough though....briars and thorns don't even phase them!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:25 am

After wearing them a bunch they quieted down
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:51 am

jmaas07 wrote:After wearing them a bunch they quieted down

That’s good to hear. I’m gonna wear them every day this winter/spring while scouting. Hopefully after a couple hundred walking miles they are good to go by September.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:39 am

Dewey wrote:

That’s good to hear. I’m gonna wear them every day this winter/spring while scouting. Hopefully after a couple hundred walking miles they are good to go by September.

You’ll still have to be aware not to rub your legs together so maybe stealth strips would be a good application on the inner areas but after scouting and some hunts they got significantly quieter
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:12 pm

got me too, love froglegs
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Is someone gonna post a recipe or what!?! Whats a guy gotta do around here to get something fried!?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:27 am

jmaas07 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

You’ll still have to be aware not to rub your legs together so maybe stealth strips would be a good application on the inner areas but after scouting and some hunts they got significantly quieter

Stealth strips quiet them down to mouse fart level.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:06 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
jmaas07 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Stealth strips quiet them down to mouse fart level.

Did you cover everything or just certain spots?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:51 am

My buddy covered everything. I've done nothing to mine.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:21 am

I have went through quite a few pairs of frog legs.
My favorite pair were attached to Bogs with the neoprene uppers.
My 2nd favorite were attached to Lacrosse granges.
I could not find a brand on any of the chaps, but the most important thing is to have a good comfortable walking boot attached to your chaps.
I coon hunted in mine year round in all kinds of terrain and conditions.
I wish I could find a brand on the chaps that are attached to the Bogs.
They were my all time favorite pair because the Bogs were a super comfortable pair of boots to walk in and the chaps were tighter fitting than any others I have had and did not rub as bad as a lot of the frog legs I have had or seen other hunters wear.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:52 am

Wick outdoor works was the original inventor of the frog legs. They went out of business a few years ago.
This place
http://www.stonecreekhounds.com/product ... /clothing/
Is now making the original WOW frog legs.
:violence-bowandarrow:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”