**LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: **LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:47 pm

Dewey wrote:After surviving the brutal heat wave this weekend the rest of the season should be gravy. 8-)

YES! Weds will be my new beginning! 8-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Dry out here, usually I've got thigh deep water to walk through, it was barely muddy today.

Water levels dropped a crazy amount since late July. With all the rain we got in June/July I thought we were setting up for some deep water navigation. Few spots are always deep but otherwise I have gotten by with knee boots. Actually surprised because we got a ton of rain Wednesday night. I heard just north of me they got 6" and streets were flooded.

The marsh I been hunting is surprisingly dry too. Skeeters aren't even that bad this year either.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Good luck, guys. Be safe! PA will kick off the traditional archery opener on Saturday.
He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Busted through the cattails to set up in the oaks on the edge of marsh. Bumped one unseen deer as I approached my tree. Don't think it smelled me or saw me, so I thought it might come back. Before I got my stand set up a nub buck walks by 10 yards, maybe the deer I jumped. Saw a doe in the marsh. With the binoculars I could see the cattails move a little in one spot for a short time. About an hour later I see two shooters bucks coming from that direction. One looked like a 3 year old 125" eight point and the other was 140"+ ten. The ten is in this picture, he just browsed in the shrubs to the left. I inhaled some cattail fuzz on my way out.

I think the bigger buck only went 30 yards from his bed, and the smaller maybe 50 yards.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Dry out here, usually I've got thigh deep water to walk through, it was barely muddy today.

Water levels dropped a crazy amount since late July. With all the rain we got in June/July I thought we were setting up for some deep water navigation. Few spots are always deep but otherwise I have gotten by with knee boots. Actually surprised because we got a ton of rain Wednesday night. I heard just north of me they got 6" and streets were flooded.

The marsh I been hunting is surprisingly dry too. Skeeters aren't even that bad this year either.

I haven't even fired up my Thermacell yet. Every single night exactly 5 minutes before closing the entire marsh would start humming very loud and then the skeeters would be bad when packing up. Just been toughing it out those last few minutes. Been pretty breezy up till then so the skeeters have been very tolerable for the most part.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:14 am

mike_mc wrote:Busted through the cattails to set up in the oaks on the edge of marsh. Bumped one unseen deer as I approached my tree. Don't think it smelled me or saw me, so I thought it might come back. Before I got my stand set up a nub buck walks by 10 yards, maybe the deer I jumped. Saw a doe in the marsh. With the binoculars I could see the cattails move a little in one spot for a short time. About an hour later I see two shooters bucks coming from that direction. One looked like a 3 year old 125" eight point and the other was 140"+ ten. The ten is in this picture, he just browsed in the shrubs to the left. I inhaled some cattail fuzz on my way out.

I think the bigger buck only went 30 yards from his bed, and the smaller maybe 50 yards.

Nice!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:07 am

Dewey wrote:No deer for me, only turkeys.

Have to work thru Thursday then back at it Friday-Sunday. Might have to break out the cold weather gear after getting used to this heat. :lol:

Congratulations! When did u get land a job... :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 am

Boogieman1 wrote:

Have to work thru Thursday then back at it Friday-Sunday. Might have to break out the cold weather gear after getting used to this heat. :lol:

Working a bit more in October then only have to work 4 days in November. Between saved vacation and shutdown days in fall I am basically a part timer. :lol:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:22 am

Draw hunt was a flop, battled rough temps for a 2nd year in row. July and Aug were amazing in my area this year, things were shaping up great then we see these temps we havent since June. My best sits were the first and last. I dont mind bc its fun running around an area learning which doesnt affect the rest of my season. I did a lot of recon for learning pressure and the best part is seeing my overlooked spots - ARE in fact overlooked spots. Actually, found more overlooked areas to target and not see anyone. The one that taught me the most was accessing a spot where 6 other guys were walking as well. Not a single one of them looked at the patch of woods next to parking. Guess whose scouting it 4 months!? This season I was very prepared, summer scouted, summer glassed for Sept and it still beat me down. Ill probably try again next year bc I want to succeed at killing a buck there.
*Opening Morning
*Last Hunt - Battled T-Storms
Went out last night for a quick camera pull and took the bow. Camera revealed great placement but poor lighting conditions. Still was able to capture usable intel. Deer were already feeding at 4pm on my way to the cam and I bumped does like crazy, it became a circus... Eventually I just sat down for some observation after blowing up the woods. I have trouble pinning bucks down on select property for S winds and I needed to see what deer are eating. Eating fresh cut greens over acorns yet. Had 2 young bucks come out in front of me w a doe and fawn around as well. The one was maybe 90-100" tops still fun to watch bc he cared less than the rest of the deer. The doe knew I was there and pegged me quick. All around tho not a good outing...Sept is kicking my but. At least I was able to see some bucks and where the younger bucks were on a Southerly wind. Patterns are shifting and the first good cold front arrives this week.

There is still hope for Sept buck bc this week bc ill be hunting 4 straight days. Ill be hitting some better spots hoping to see something good to happen. All Northerly winds & The Boss just approved 3-4 day work weeks through thanksgiving! :dance: :shhh:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:26 am

Boogieman1 wrote:

:lol: Now thats funny
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 am

What a bunch of craziness. I have never been so close to good bucks in urban yet so far at the same time. 3rd time in 2 weeks I picked the wrong tree.

But I did learn something. The overlooked bedding spot is getting used. I walked by him at 70 yds. He was up broad daylight in front of a cam I check 3 to 4 a week. I walk right by it to hunt other spots. Bucks never showed here in daylight tI'll this season. I put so much pressure on this spot just don't expect it to be good.

Ended up scouti ng my way to a set...pulled cams. Not good yet. Ended up moving cams into better positions.

Just finish night up on ground watching apple tree.
Kylet

Unread postby Kylet » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:58 am

In a tree overlooking an overgrown field with suspected bedding 100 yards to the wsw. The stand location isn't ideal and the wind is swirling. Not real hopeful
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:42 am

4 sits in so far...none under the stand but near. 1st set on a 10x30yd oval opening,slight west wind. Dropping MWeed and about last light, it starts floating into the opening...into supposed wind :? Like cans in the back of a truck, the mw sucked in that opening and swirled...one of those spots deer are 100% covered scentwise, no matter what the wind, no wonder I get huge amounts of pics here, a hotspot but extremely hard to hunt like a thermal hub. Happy I picked up some info, moved 20 yds away from the edge.
3rd and 4th sits in a new place. Public area, little intel besides 1 visit and cyber scouting. Previously select cut 1-2 yrs ago, thick. 20 yds inside of beans hoping to intercept from bedding to food. Last sit on small water...more schooling. I should have known better to not be so close. This is very hilly so its tricky to begin with let alone trying to sit at the bottom of a huge ravine down low. Big tracks and trails telling me where they travel from to get a drink. I will move again up higher to try to intercept. Been 90ish but I have an itchy trigger finger...needs to cool off, its coming :mrgreen:
Learning from every sit....good luck and be safe.(get some pics next time)
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Wow it's almost October. I better go buy a tag! lol
Good luck everyone.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Tonight I set up to see if I could get one of the two bucks I saw last night. I set up where one of the bucks spent most of the last 45 minutes, which was about 50 yards from his bed. I wasn't quiet as I would have liked setting up with little wind for cover noise. No deer seen.

I think a neighboring property owner I was unhappy I was out there. Blaring radio at their house, lighting firecrackers by my truck, blaring the horn as they drove by.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”