**LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Re: **LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:14 pm

briar wrote:
Outdoor814 wrote:Well im either an idiot or gained myself some good karma. I passed up a buck tonight bigger than any buck I've ever shot.
He came in with light fading fast. I could tell he was big but was unsure at first. He took his good ol time making his way towards me.
Where I messed up was I started setting my sticks up and after I got 2 high I noticed I would have no good shooting lanes. So I backed up about 30 yards and set up. It wasn't until after he cut my trail about 15 ft. Infront of me and retreated back about 15 yards before I noticed his size. He was pretty tall. Not very wide and he didn't seem to have a whole lot of mass. Potentially 8-10 points.
I was kinda kicking myself in the after he finally walked away, but I'm glad I didn't take the shot. It would have been hard to make a clean shot with the way light was fading.

Also worst walk out of my life...

These situations happen a lot where a shot could be taken but you just dont feel right about it. I always feel better not taking the shot and being safe. Its hard sometimes, but so is tracking a bad shot. You made the right choice.

Exactly.

Clink

Unread postby Clink » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:Well im either an idiot or gained myself some good karma. I passed up a buck tonight bigger than any buck I've ever shot.
He came in with light fading fast. I could tell he was big but was unsure at first. He took his good ol time making his way towards me.
Where I messed up was I started setting my sticks up and after I got 2 high I noticed I would have no good shooting lanes. So I backed up about 30 yards and set up. It wasn't until after he cut my trail about 15 ft. Infront of me and retreated back about 15 yards before I noticed his size. He was pretty tall. Not very wide and he didn't seem to have a whole lot of mass. Potentially 8-10 points.
I was kinda kicking myself in the after he finally walked away, but I'm glad I didn't take the shot. It would have been hard to make a clean shot with the way light was fading.

Worst walk out? Got a little turned around?
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Well it wasn't a total bust tonight. Yes I did get busted but I learned a valuable lesson from it. The deer wasn't coming up the point as I suspected. They were coming around the eastern hillside and moving up that way through some denser cover. Now I know where I need to set up for the next time. Even though one of the doe blowed her head off for 5 minutes, I also had a small basket 6pt (1.5) year old come and hang out with me for a solid 20 minutes.
He was all around me even made his way to 10' from my tree.
After he passed on and it got dark I started tearing down. I had my stand on my back and taking my first stick down I hear footsteps. I flip my light on and there is 2 doe watching me. I tried fighting loudly and shining my light in them but they just stood there dumb founded. So I just continued what I was doing and they finally snorted and moved off. All in all in was a great day in the tree!!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Sat some fresh sign on the way into bedding. Zero deer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Clink wrote:

I went into this spot blind. I had cyber scouted the area during my lunch break at work. It's super swampy and beavers must have got in there since Google took the picture because there was water in places I did not expect. Also it was very brushy. I get out of work at 3:30 so I kinda rushed my way threw. Didn't really give myself any landmarks so I struggled a little finding my way back to the footpath I cut off of to get to this spot.
I'll be back there in a couple weeks for sure!
Joe™
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Headed out with fellow beast hunter, Checkerfred, this morning to see if we can get it done. Not too excited about this week of East winds and moon phase, but you can't kill them from the couch.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:26 am

Congrats to all the killers. I've been trying to catch up on this thread this morning and something hit me. Where is bighunt. I haven't seen him post in a while. And I need to shout out to JacksonMarsh. It seems your hunting has slowed. Is this the calm before the storm?
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:12 am

Outdoor814 wrote:
Clink wrote:

I went into this spot blind. I had cyber scouted the area during my lunch break at work. It's super swampy and beavers must have got in there since Google took the picture because there was water in places I did not expect. Also it was very brushy. I get out of work at 3:30 so I kinda rushed my way threw. Didn't really give myself any landmarks so I struggled a little finding my way back to the footpath I cut off of to get to this spot.
I'll be back there in a couple weeks for sure!

Been there done that!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:23 am

blizzardhunter wrote:Congrats to all the killers. I've been trying to catch up on this thread this morning and something hit me. Where is bighunt. I haven't seen him post in a while. And I need to shout out to JacksonMarsh. It seems your hunting has slowed. Is this the calm before the storm?

I've been out quite a bit. Hunted one of my deep spots on Monday. Had a 2 yo come in behind me, hit my track and continue on. Could have shot him at 20 yards. 10 minutes later had a lone deer come in on the same track as the 2 yo. It hit my track in the thick stuff and locked up and waited until dark. I was stuck in my stand because I didn't want to bump him. Eventually I decided to leave and blew the place up. I never saw the deer, but assume it was an older buck, he acted smart compared to the 2 yo. I've had some windy days to hunt, which is great for sneaking in, but I didn't want to be messing with my phone and have a deer sneak in. I'm probably done for a few days now.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:37 am

Went into an area I've been chasing a specific buck in. Took my dad there, it's been kinda hush hush, and kinda let him know what I've observed and he made a decision based on wind and what I told him. Got set up in an area a two big rubs popped up in this week, and I know does use a lot. Had an offwind, and got up pretty high checking with milkweed often. At 5pm had two 1.5 year old does come by at 3 steps, my son was pretty excited to see deer moving early and close. At 6 had a 2.5 year old 6 and a 1.5 year old 3 pt come out of bedding. 2.5 year old was nose to the ground searching like a bird dog, 1.5 old could care less. Walked by at 3 steps. 15 mins later another 2.5 year old steps out. Walks by about 36 yards out, all upwind but the milkweed was floating over them. Dad text me and said the big boy I'm after was moving 300 yards out coming my way, nose to the ground. He had his vortex binos said he's got to be 270 live weight and old, he's lot of mass and white as snow beams but tips were dark, yup that's him I responded. Well before dark. October lull? :think: :lol: just so the Michigan boys know the pre rut is in affect boys, maybe even some early estrus does.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:39 am

MN youth season. My second oldest just shot at one about 15 minutes ago. In about 15 more we are going to check for hair and blood it mule kicked so hopefully
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:41 am

swampyak wrote:MN youth season. My second oldest just shot at one about 15 minutes ago. In about 15 more we are going to check for hair and blood it mule kicked so hopefully

Good luck! Keep us posted
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:44 am

blizzardhunter wrote:Congrats to all the killers. I've been trying to catch up on this thread this morning and something hit me. Where is bighunt. I haven't seen him post in a while. And I need to shout out to JacksonMarsh. It seems your hunting has slowed. Is this the calm before the storm?

Still plugging away... kind of discouraging, I haven't seen a deer in 3 weeks ! Just about had it with this marsh stuff

Heading to the hills soon!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:14 am

Hang in there Bighunt. It'll happen.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:18 am

BigHunt wrote:

Still plugging away... kind of discouraging, I haven't seen a deer in 3 weeks ! Just about had it with this marsh stuff

Heading to the hills soon!

First deer I saw last year in October was the 29th and it ended up being a 150+ that got an arrow! Biggest grind I ever went through hunting, but it paid off! I know you'll get it done!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”