**LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

grydsrt

Re: **LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Unread postby grydsrt » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:38 pm

For the sake of the following assume a 15mph northerly wind.

If you were to have permission to hunt a food plot at some point during the next two weeks for three days where would you set up? Your options include the middle, the South side, the North Side or anywhere between? Assume as well that the food plot is an established food plot, square in shape with 130 yard and 100 yard sides, and planted properly with appropriate for this-time-of-year deer forage.

If you had the option (as I do) of putting out a Double Bull ground blind would you chose that option or a tree stand?
Where would you put the Double Bull? The middle, the South side, the North Side, or where?
Where would you put the tree stand?
Would you hunt it all three days or only one?
If you put in the double bull on day one and brush it in next to a corn feeder would three days give the deer enough time to get used to it so you could hunt it?

I ask because I have been cyber scouting my eyeballs out. I am using google earth, google earth timeline, Bing maps aerial view (because they changed bird’s eye), the Earth Point Topo Overlay for google earth, and USA Topo maps.

The topo maps I can locate for my areas of interest have too wide of a contour interval to be any good for deer hunting. For instance, I have located long stretches of creek bank that is a 30’ straight face and the topo maps do not indicate.

Thus although I have only had a single sit in which I could chose to leave this year I have not been without effort. My cyber scouting effort is why I am posting here in the live from the field thread.

My effort re paid off last night because after I took screen shots of Bing maps aerial view and traced the deer trails with MS paint I took each section and hand-traced them with MS paint onto a larger aerial view of my area of interest which, at the time, I believed to be a feeding area.

However once I connected all the trails onto the larger map they appeared to be going somewhere else. Thus I then cyber-followed the stream where the trails appeared to dead end into until I hit what I believed to be food plots. I continued following the stream basically for fun and inadvertently cyber-stumbled on what almost certainly has to be a food plot.

Again, as above, for the sake of the following assume a 15mph northerly wind.

If you were to have permission to hunt a food plot at some point during the next two weeks for three days where would you set up? Your options include the middle, the South side, the North Side or anywhere between?

If you had the option (as I do) of putting out a Double Bull ground blind would you chose that option or a tree stand?

Where would you put the Double Bull? The middle, the South side, the North Side, or where?

Where would you put the tree stand? Again same options.

Because it is late season, would you hunt the food plot all three days or only one? Assume you have access to other areas to hunt.

If you put in the double bull on day one and brush it in next to a corn feeder would three days give the deer enough time to get used to it so you could hunt it?

How would a water hole being at the extreme south end of the food plot affect where you set up?

Caveat, I cannot figure out how to get photos to post so just assume a round food plot

Thanks.

thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:20 am

Don’t think I’ve ever had a seemingly longer 5 day work week. Was supposed to get a couple mornings to hunt, but life happened for the boss so I had to be in the office all day every day.

On my main piece of private now, in one of my favorite rut setups. Typically I would’ve hunted this piece of private some twenty times, but I’ve been on the 500 acres to hunt once this season.

Did sneak into this area during the night right before a rain a couple weeks ago and hang a cam on a scrape that I consider to be a primary one. Was able to pull the card and then check it after I climbed up, absolutely no bucks hitting it, in Fact it’s been covered by leaves. :think:

Had one of my best encounters ever on this ridge line exactly 4 years ago today. An absolute stud of an 8(~140) that somehow ninja’d me as he chased a doe by my tree. This coming 2 hours after I’d shot over the back of a ~125 9. Hopefully something like one of those situations can recreate themselves, and I can make good on it.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:04 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:Saw close to 100 deer tonight while driving hwy 150 from Louisville to Shoals. Anywhere from 1 or 2 up to groups of 10-15 and saw 30+ in one field.

:shock: Didnt have the spotlight and rifle on that trip? :mrgreen: Jk... Ill see myself out... :lol:

Didn't need the spotlight, it's close to a 2 hr drive and we happened to hit it the last 2 hrs of the day. We drive that stretch a lot for work and always see deer, although this time of year we usually don't come through till after dark.

Half the deer we saw were in 3 groups in a half mile stretch of private crop fields not far from a section of Hoosier National Forest.
Bowhunter1879

Unread postby Bowhunter1879 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:35 am

Heading out this afternoon for the first late season bow hunt. Still undecided on where to sit. Will have to discuss with vtbuck on the ride. Good luck to anyone going out
AAAK

Unread postby AAAK » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:18 am

Went to a spot I tried to hunt last yr that bordered a swamp. It got so thick that I couldn’t get where I wanted to be. Well this morning I just kept pushing through and got to a spot on the edge of the swamp and it opens up nice. Didn’t plan on it but Im gonna do an all day sit. No food gonna be starving by dark but I’ll live
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:33 am

Good luck to those who are hitting the woods! Got a family Xmas party today. A hunt tomorrow would not be out of the realm of possibility.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:41 am

AAAK wrote:Went to a spot I tried to hunt last yr that bordered a swamp. It got so thick that I couldn’t get where I wanted to be. Well this morning I just kept pushing through and got to a spot on the edge of the swamp and it opens up nice. Didn’t plan on it but Im gonna do an all day sit. No food gonna be starving by dark but I’ll live

Order jimmy johns. It’ll be there freaky fast!
:lol:
Good luck!
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:52 am

I created a new thread re here: http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43671&p=647789#p647789

I appreciate your input.

grydsrt wrote:For the sake of the following assume a 15mph northerly wind.

If you were to have permission to hunt a food plot at some point during the next two weeks for three days where would you set up? Your options include the middle, the South side, the North Side or anywhere between? Assume as well that the food plot is an established food plot, square in shape with 130 yard and 100 yard sides, and planted properly with appropriate for this-time-of-year deer forage ...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 am

Been two weeks since I last hunted but sure seemed like 2 months. Been going crazy not hunting. Feels good to be back in a tree again.

I wallked the last 3 hours with my stand on my back. Didn’t like the sign I was seeing especially lack of fresh tracks in the snow. Decided to head way out in the cattails where I scouted last winter. Almost immediately I came across some bigger tracks headed out to bedding I had already pre-scouted.

I’m set up only 4 feet off the ground just enough to see into the cattails to the trail coming from bedding. Don’t think I need my safety harness today. :lol:

Hoping a good buck comes from this bedding area. I’m as close as I can get for now. I would like to get into one of the trees ahead of me but just can’t risk it yet unless I have a south wind. If nothing else this will be an observation sit for later.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:56 am

Good luck Dewey
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:13 am

I’m sitting in a thick mess. Tons of tracks from every direction. Shooting is limited to maybe 25 yds. Good luck to those out!
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:29 am

Back at it, got some more snow last night, hope that gets em moving, good luck everyone!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:32 am

Good luck vt and isit.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:00 am

Nice night to be sitting. Haven’t sat the farm I’m on tonight since early Nov. Pulled lots of cards, excited to see what made it through gun season after the hunt tonight. This is the farm in WI that I hit my #1 buck high in late Oct.

Good luck to the beasts out tonight
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:13 am

Does anyone know if this is the mating season for owls? Or if they are territorial? Had a couple fighting in the next tree over, that’s a big bird.... holy smokes

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”