**LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bedbug

Re: **LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Unread postby Bedbug » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:50 am

Found the Michelin Mans scat appears to be his
primary bedding. :lol:

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 am

:lol:

Nice find bedbug.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Anybody hunting Thursday in the snowstorm? I’m crazy so I’ll be ina tree.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:07 pm

Nope...tomorrow night though. Hopefully the pre-front activity will be high.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:31 am

Fog finally burned off. Sitting an observation stand backside of a cypress swamp. Watching two points with known bedding. Bumped 3 does coming in. Hoping my target didn't slip out when that happened. Scared the doo out of me when the jumped at about 15 yards. Thought I might have caught a glimpse of one of them slipping back into where they were bedded. My ladder stand inventory is growing every sit. The joys of hunting pressured public land!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:05 pm

followed up on something I found yesterday. Feild with patches of unharvested soybeans. Made me stop and look. To the South of the field lay an overlooked type area lowland bowl (ag country) Center Cattails surrounded by cottonwoods and olives. With fingers northwards. Cha ching :dance: .
Spent 3 hours this morning knocking on doors trying to figure out the property owner. Finally got a phone number...left voicemail--- received a phone call at 3 from the property owner good conversation eventually giving me permission. A hunter himself he was surprised that you can still hunt deer this time of year :lol:

Dove in today at 3:30 snowing all day and temp dropping for the first time this year i was entering and setting up on a straight East Wind. Odd for a cold front? I thought.

Learned a ton, fresh snow tracks wrote me a book, falling temps I decided target the route to grain...didn't dive too deep into what I predicted to be up-to-date bedding.

Still batting zero on the Minnesota tag...
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:39 pm

I hunted a stand I didn't get to in two years. Very little deer tracks and most were old. Im in the marsh a ways and thought I'd see something with the cooler weather, and some snow coming. Nothing at all. I did break some ice though and that doesn't help. Darn quiet out there. Has anyone else seen the lack of deer tracks in the public marshes lately? More coyote and coon tracks than anything. The only thing I can figure out is the lack of snow makes for easy pickings in the corn and alfalfa fields and they are staying close to the food . Not much in in the marsh for food except Red Dogwood.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:52 am

Found this rub yesterday. Could it be a signpost rub? It's rubbed most of the way around and both sides are weathered from being rubbed before. 99% sure it was not rubbed this much the first of Nov.

Also found an active scrape in a mowed grassy area 100 ft off the road. Wanted to hang a cam, but only had 1 stick and the only tree that would give a clear view of the scrape would mean the cam would have pointed directly at thr road. Need to get back there with a couple more sticks so I can see who's living in the swampy pothole that the trails lead into.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:15 am

Wow, it’s really slowed down on here. I got out yesterday for 4.5 hrs, seen lots of tracks, but nothing came out. Was in a typically good doe spot, thought I heard some activity out in the red brush/rags. I was on the transition line, just nothing coming out. It was a good check on my cold weather gear. Going to need my warmer boots next week. :mrgreen:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:38 am

mag1 wrote:Wow, it’s really slowed down on here. I got out yesterday for 4.5 hrs, seen lots of tracks, but nothing came out. Was in a typically good doe spot, thought I heard some activity out in the red brush/rags. I was on the transition line, just nothing coming out. It was a good check on my cold weather gear. Going to need my warmer boots next week. :mrgreen:

It's only us grinders still hunting here in WI 8-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:04 am

tgreeno wrote:
mag1 wrote:Wow, it’s really slowed down on here. I got out yesterday for 4.5 hrs, seen lots of tracks, but nothing came out. Was in a typically good doe spot, thought I heard some activity out in the red brush/rags. I was on the transition line, just nothing coming out. It was a good check on my cold weather gear. Going to need my warmer boots next week. :mrgreen:

It's only us grinders still hunting here in WI 8-)

Yup. It's gonna pick up here soon. I have two more days of work then off till Jan 2. I'm sure many more are off over that time too so should get a little busier......at least till the cold weather hits. :lol:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:46 am

Good luck to you guys hammering away at it.....someone will knock one down in the next week or two I bet.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:01 am

Been in the tree since before 3. Today’s been a circus so I was running late. Decide to hit a prehung set cause of time. Good luck grinders!
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:49 am

Got our first rain in nearly 2 months yesterday. Nice being able to see truely fresh tracks since rut sign has really slowed down. Checked a cam that’s soaked since mid October. Didn’t have high hopes of it but it proved to be a heavily used travel route to doe bedding. Only had 2 bucks on it that peaked my interest during peak rut. Moved the camera to another spot to see how much bedding action it’s getting. Sitting off a thick willow transitioning into a flat that’s blanketed with elm saplings. Pretty good tracks going to and from so we shall see. Good luck to the few still hard it. This next week should really have some good movement with the front.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Looking forward to spending a few days after Christmas at the cabin hunting the traditional PA flintlock season. I've always found that season to be very enjoyable.
He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”