**LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Re: **LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:18 am

AAAK wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:Zero deer seen this evening but a second bobcat came through about 10 minutes after the first. He’ll look nice on the wall.

Sweet cat! Bow kill?

Yes sir. About a 30 yd poke. Kind of proud about that shot honestly. A lot smaller target than a deer.

Not many people have seen a bobcat and to shoot one with a bow. Well Done! :clap:

X2 8-) :clap:

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:10 am

hunter_mike wrote:
AAAK wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:Zero deer seen this evening but a second bobcat came through about 10 minutes after the first. He’ll look nice on the wall.

Sweet cat! Bow kill?

Yes sir. About a 30 yd poke. Kind of proud about that shot honestly. A lot smaller target than a deer.

Not many people have seen a bobcat and to shoot one with a bow. Well Done! :clap:

x3 :clap:

I had one come in range this year but man that would have been one heck of a shot. Those buggers move quickly and quietly. Never heard him. But again, really impressive to knock one down with the bow :clap:

Kinda surprised you can shoot them. Are they just considered like a nuisance animal similar to a coyote? We can't shoot them in wisconsin without a permit that you need to apply for.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 am

Jonny wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:
AAAK wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:

Sweet cat! Bow kill?

x3 :clap:

I had one come in range this year but man that would have been one heck of a shot. Those buggers move quickly and quietly. Never heard him. But again, really impressive to knock one down with the bow :clap:

Kinda surprised you can shoot them. Are they just considered like a nuisance animal similar to a coyote? We can't shoot them in wisconsin without a permit that you need to apply for.

You’re allowed 20 cats per season (dec 1- feb 28)and they must be tagged. That’s pretty high but the trapping community is almost non-existent here. It’s been 20 for at least the last 20 years that I know of. I see several every season. That was the 4th one I’ve seen since October.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Bowhunter1879

Unread postby Bowhunter1879 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:00 pm

vtbuck wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
vtbuck wrote:A long cold sit tonight that produced zero deer. Back at it Saturday afternoon. Thought tonight would have been awesome. Temps in the teens. Winter storm coming after midnight. Maybe I smell or something? :lol:

I would of thought so too? I'm gonna try hunting tomorrow night during the snow 8-)

Nice cat Dan!

Hope it works for you. You got a spot picked out near a buck bed or food ?[/quote

Congrats on the cat! That’s a poke at a small target
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Sat through some heavy snow tonight, had roughly 10 does in range. heard some deep grunts close but never saw the buck. I havnt seen a set of horns in December this year.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Went out in the snow tonight, scouted / still hunted thru a bunch of red brush, and marsh hay. Was going in to check out a chunk that was a ways in, so I figured I’d go thru some of this stuff as well. New spot, has potential, all the near by crop fields where picked and plowed. Not sure if the snow had them all bedded, didn’t see a track, and I covered a good chunk of ground. Got to my planned spot, and found a good spot on the ground to setup. Good spot, just nothing moving. Looks like it might be an interesting early season spot. Only 1 tree that could be setup in, should be able to setup with head and shoulders just above the red brush to shot over, will be nice as it should be able to cover some ground once u get up. Have to look for beds in the spring. Couldn’t believe how much the wind was whipping the snow once I got out of the cover of the red brush. Gonna try again next week.
WMA hunter

Unread postby WMA hunter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:39 am

Went to a public piece here in Alabama yesterday. Known for turkeys and squirrels but not many deer hunt it. Was my first time hunting it and I didn’t see a single other hunter. Jumped a little doe from her bed at about 20yards in the morning and saw a coon on the evening hunt. Heard a deer come into the draw I was watching at last light. I fell climbing a steep hill that was more like a muddy cliff going in and today I am home with a bruised/cracked rib. Lesson learned, not all accidents are truest and falls.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Deer were moving tonight in the fresh snow fall. I love having tracks on the ground :twisted: I saw 9 deer total, 2 bucks and 7 doe. 6 of the deer were in shooting range. The bucks weren't what I was looking for but it was a fun hunt none-the-less.
North

Unread postby North » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Went to one of my public land spots tonight. There was someone hunting rabbits in the prime location so I went another direction to scout other parts of the land. There was a snowfall yesterday morning so I was just walking around looking at tracks and trying to figure out how deer are using the spot. Still corn standing in the field that runs along the north edge of the spot. Found one bedding area. Unfortunately, didn't cross paths with any deer.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:55 pm

First hunt of the late bow season. Had 3 bucks pass by at 50 yards all young guys. Saw four does and the one that got close must of got a wiff of me but she got a muzzy through her heart before attempting her escape :D Late season can be fantastic I don't think anyone else hunts the areas I do in the late season. Now I just gotta find a good buck'
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Saw close to 100 deer tonight while driving hwy 150 from Louisville to Shoals. Anywhere from 1 or 2 up to groups of 10-15 and saw 30+ in one field.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Nelson87 wrote:Saw close to 100 deer tonight while driving hwy 150 from Louisville to Shoals. Anywhere from 1 or 2 up to groups of 10-15 and saw 30+ in one field.

:shock: Didnt have the spotlight and rifle on that trip? :mrgreen: Jk... Ill see myself out... :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:55 pm

Nelson87 wrote:Saw close to 100 deer tonight while driving hwy 150 from Louisville to Shoals. Anywhere from 1 or 2 up to groups of 10-15 and saw 30+ in one field.

I remember the nights of seeing that many deer on my drive up after work to northern WI back in the late 90’s-early 2000’s. Now I’m lucky to see one deer every 2-3 trips. :o
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:08 pm

I saw 11 tonight from the truck 8-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
GoetzC

Unread postby GoetzC » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Dewey wrote:

I remember the nights of seeing that many deer on my drive up after work to northern WI back in the late 90’s-early 2000’s. Now I’m lucky to see one deer every 2-3 trips. :o

I saw quite a few fields full of deer just south of Menominee Tuesday evening around 4:15-4:30.
It was crazy... up north in the cedar swamps I normally hunt I’m lucky to see a deer, so then to see fields full of deer right off the interstate just blows my mind how different hunting can be county to county.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”