**LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: **LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:35 am

tgreeno wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:I believe one of the deer I have been chasing was killed opening morning. Kind of wondered why he had not showed in a few days. Oh well. Odds just got cut by 33% :D As I mentioned, very few deer in the urban zone.

Keep after it Maine! Your time will come!

Its good to know thats for sure. I would rather know than not. The VERY BEST one...he is still alive (at least he was as of a few days ago) :D Its all part of the game. None of these are "my" deer thats for sure. You just move on to the next one.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:39 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:I believe one of the deer I have been chasing was killed opening morning. Kind of wondered why he had not showed in a few days. Oh well. Odds just got cut by 33% :D As I mentioned, very few deer in the urban zone.

Its good to know thats for sure. I would rather know than not. The VERY BEST one...he is still alive (at least he was as of a few days ago) :D Its all part of the game. None of these are "my" deer thats for sure. You just move on to the next one.

Who knows...Maybe there's an even bigger one, that you haven't even seen yet??? That's the thought that keeps me motivated the entire season!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:11 am

brkissl82 wrote:Gona b a warm wisconsin opener looks like 83!!!!!! Hasnt been that warm all summer!!! Whats everyones plan

I don't plan on hunting the morning so I'm gonna brew some coffee, hop in my truck, and scope out the parking lots of my favorite parcels of public land to see what the pressure is like. I tend to be the first one in my stand and the last one out most days, so I never know how full the parking lot gets when I am hunting.

After that I'll gear up for my evening hunt and try to put a doe in the freezer.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:32 am

All done with classes for the week. Now to get my homework done for the weekend. One final shoot with the bow tomorrow, and a test run with the lone wolf on some public by my house.

Gotta love having 3 day weekends during hunting season :dance:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:24 pm

tgreeno wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

Who knows...Maybe there's an even bigger one, that you haven't even seen yet??? That's the thought that keeps me motivated the entire season!

Today...dove in a bit deeper. Took my gear to hunt...but after pulling cams that have soaked for 2 months on a 4' ground scrape...and only having 2 vids of a buck, decided to move on and scouted. Checked another cam over a smaller scrape....0 pics of deer in 2 mos. These cams will stay for all season.

BUT the one good thing, the buck I thought was shot, showed 5am on September 10. Which means, he was not shot on opening day.

Scouted an overlooked spot...its where I have been getting pics of bucks moving through and it just did not make sense. Well, with all of the old generational rubs I found...I also found some beds. There is no other reason the rubs would be there. When I setup my sets, I gave up that corner and entered from there thinking bucks would be bedded in other locations. The downside is that I entered from there on opening day. No more daylight pics of bucks in this spot :D

Coincidence? Could be. Bucks tend to shift around a lot this time of year. OR it could be they got bumped out of there.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Did some walking and threw up a stand. The dog did most of the work

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:28 am

Close but no cigar this morning... I felt like the rust needed knocked off and mission accomplished. The best part about the morning was my new gear ties for mounting the quiver worked amazing...
*Worst Access in Awhile
*Worst Climb in Awhile
*Bad Gear Check

The wind today is S 3mph but the thermal shift brought me N currents, that was interesting! :think: I setup in very thick, flat ground w a year round scrape close by, 300yds from crops, 150yds from water. I had already given up on the morning and was happy just to be out. Then a large solo deer started coming in on a string right as I could start to see the top pin. I could hear him take every step. As I stood up ~ me or my gear made a weird noise rubbing bark on my tree, possibly my new safety tether that has a shock blocker on it... :think: :snooty: After that the nerves kicked in and the deer became a ghost but clipping a release onto the bow is always one of the best feelings ever. It was fun getting back in to the game! Cant wait for the next outing.

Looking forward to other member's updates.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:32 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Close but no cigar this morning... I felt like the rust needed knocked off and mission accomplished. The best part about the morning was my new gear ties for mounting the quiver worked amazing...
*Worst Access in Awhile
*Worst Climb in Awhile
*Bad Gear Check

The wind today is S 3mph but the thermal shift brought me N currents, that was interesting! :think: I setup in very thick, flat ground w a year round scrape close by, 300yds from crops, 150yds from water. Had a large solo deer coming in on a string right as I could start to see the top pin. As I stood up ~ me or my gear made a weird noise rubbing bark on my tree, possibly my new safety tether that has a shock blocker on it... :think: :snooty: After that the nerves kicked in and the deer became a ghost but clipping a release onto the bow is always one of the best feelings ever. It was fun getting back in to the game! Cant wait for the next outing.

Bummer about the noise! It sounds like you were in the game though! I can't wait til tomorrow for me!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:34 am

tgreeno wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:Close but no cigar this morning... I felt like the rust needed knocked off and mission accomplished. The best part about the morning was my new gear ties for mounting the quiver worked amazing...
*Worst Access in Awhile
*Worst Climb in Awhile
*Bad Gear Check

The wind today is S 3mph but the thermal shift brought me N currents, that was interesting! :think: I setup in very thick, flat ground w a year round scrape close by, 300yds from crops, 150yds from water. Had a large solo deer coming in on a string right as I could start to see the top pin. As I stood up ~ me or my gear made a weird noise rubbing bark on my tree, possibly my new safety tether that has a shock blocker on it... :think: :snooty: After that the nerves kicked in and the deer became a ghost but clipping a release onto the bow is always one of the best feelings ever. It was fun getting back in to the game! Cant wait for the next outing.

Bummer about the noise! It sounds like you were in the game though! I can't wait til tomorrow for me!

Tuning in! 8-)
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:37 am

8-) Good stuff everyone
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:05 pm

Halfway struck out tonight, I had a camera on an exit trail from a bedding area since July but when I pulled the card there wasn't anything with antlers on it and there was only afternoon action three different times so I continued deeper in to a doe bedding area.
I was going to hunt the first area from the ground since it's so thick so I left the stand home, when I got the the other area I sat on a downed pine log facing the swamp and had a thick section of small pines behind me, well just after sunset I heard something behind me so I stood up, turned around and watched a flash of white and brown pass through the pines about 20 yards off, it probably was a couple does but if I had my stand and was it the tree I picked out I probably would've had a shot.
Good Intel for later anyways.
burtle

Unread postby burtle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Good luck everyone!!!

Most importantly, STAY SAFE and have fun!!!

Wear your harness
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:28 pm

Good luck everyone! Let's see some pics!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:36 pm

It's warm out at the cabin. Think I'll go chase walleyes this morning instead. But I'll be out in the swamps this evening 8-)

Stay hydrated guys. And have a plan for when you shoot one.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:50 am

It's been a tough morning. Hunting a public marsh and walked a mile in. I saw 3 deer coming through the big woods to my spot. Hot as heck and the mosquitoes were unbelievable. Finally got in a tree with my clothes drenched in sweat. Took me a long time to get situated as I am super rusty!

Another hunter came walking in 30 minutes from first light. I shined my light at him about 20 times and he still ended up in a tree 100 yards downwind from me.

I am sitting in a willow tree where mature hardwoods, tall grass, and cattails come together. There is a heavy trail that skirts the catails and I am about 20 yards off of that. I was hoping to catch something coming back to bed.

It's raining off and on which is kind of nice as it's keeps the temp down. I may give this another hour or two and see what happens here. Thank God for the thermacell!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”