**LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tradstalk777

Re: **LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Unread postby Tradstalk777 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:04 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:Does anyone know if this is the mating season for owls? Or if they are territorial? Had a couple fighting in the next tree over, that’s a big bird.... holy smokes

It's a little early for mating season. But owls are pretty territorial year-round.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:20 am

Nothing for me.

I stayed on top of the ice in the marsh so it’s a pretty good day. 8-)
North

Unread postby North » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Walked a few miles on public land again tonight. There was a fresh dusting of snow last night so I wanted to compare that with what I saw yesterday. Pretty disappointing findings. This spot was great early season but seems blown out now.
AAAK

Unread postby AAAK » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Had 1 deer come behind me and wind me. Nothing else
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:45 pm

I saw nothing.. a change of tactics is in order
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:50 pm

My brother an I walked about 3.5 miles carrying stands on public today. Didn't see any hot sign. It is dry here.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Didn’t have time to make it out to public this evening so I went to the nearest private where I shot my buck back in November. Was about to start walking to my stand when a doe came limping by my truck. Clearly not putting any weight on her left front leg. Bedded down 15 yards from the truck and she looked in bad shape. Eased over to where I could get a shot and she stood up and never ran til I put her down for good. Leg was broke with the bone sticking out and torn up in her pit with an open wound infection. Got her gutted/loaded and made my way to the stand.

About 45 minutes before dark a giant bodied buck came in. I recognized him as the buck that was fighting with the one I shot earlier in the year. He seemed a little on edge and was heading almost directly at me. Stand is not the highest and I was worried about him pegging me either by sight or smell. About 10 yards he turned enough broadside I felt to let him have it. I was holding on his heart but the shot looked lower than what I was aiming. He ran about 50 yards and stopped. Saw him walking in the direction of my truck so I hopped down and checked my arrow then circled back around the entire property. Arrow had one fletching left and was almost void of blood but there was a decent blood trail going instantly at the impact site. Keep in mind the truck is only about 200 yards from this set. Finally got around near the truck and a/the deer takes off about 50 yards from it. Couldn’t find any blood like it was mine but I can’t imagine it being any other deer. On top of that it’s been raining since I shot him. Needless to say, I’m in a pretty good pickle and debating whether I even made a lethal shot on the buck in the first place.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:05 pm

5 deer tonight, 3 bucks. They all were on the move around 3:30 pm. They all made there way on the trail 15 yards to my north. The bucks just weren't what I was looking for but it was good to be in shooting range of deer again to night.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Skunked! Got a stand in mind for Thursday. Really hoping for some extreme cold soon. Single digits or colder would put a smile on this face.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:45 am

vtbuck wrote:Skunked! Got a stand in mind for Thursday. Really hoping for some extreme cold soon. Single digits or colder would put a smile on this face.

Slight warm front early this week, then colder by wed. Look ahead to next week Monday, high of 5*F in NE wis. Fox valley area. :mrgreen:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:08 am

Nelson87 wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:Saw close to 100 deer tonight while driving hwy 150 from Louisville to Shoals. Anywhere from 1 or 2 up to groups of 10-15 and saw 30+ in one field.

:shock: Didnt have the spotlight and rifle on that trip? :mrgreen: Jk... Ill see myself out... :lol:

Didn't need the spotlight, it's close to a 2 hr drive and we happened to hit it the last 2 hrs of the day. We drive that stretch a lot for work and always see deer, although this time of year we usually don't come through till after dark.

Half the deer we saw were in 3 groups in a half mile stretch of private crop fields not far from a section of Hoosier National Forest.

Impressive amount of deer out way before dark. Sorry I was watching robo deer poaching videos and one was from that state actually. :lol: Those are a great...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:14 am

mag1 wrote:
vtbuck wrote:Skunked! Got a stand in mind for Thursday. Really hoping for some extreme cold soon. Single digits or colder would put a smile on this face.

Slight warm front early this week, then colder by wed. Look ahead to next week Monday, high of 5*F in NE wis. Fox valley area. :mrgreen:

I like the sound of that. 8-)
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:12 am

Been at it since daybreak. Picked up some bloody beds in the nearest bedding from where I last saw the buck last night. Followed good blood over a mile and finally found him still alive bedded in a honey locust thicket. Moved in for a shot but he squirmed out and headed down a point on the nearby public city lake. Found him bedded and had one shot opportunity with my recurve but I missed just low. Kicked him up two more times but lost his heading after the second time. I don’t think he will live but I don’t know how long it’s gonna take for him to expire. Shot must have hit an artery on that front shoulder muscle to have not stopped after traveling that far. His last whereabouts was in a tall grass and mesquite brush flat. Maybe give him more time and get a tracking dog back in there later.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:33 am

Out last night on a point...leaves all dug up by foraging. Ghost town :shifty: :think: post rut, late season, post 3 gun seasons....Same thing every year, will figure this out.Not giving up
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:27 am

Set up along the transition line. Sign looks really good with some big tracks in and out of the cattails. Now that the ice is good they can bed just about anywhere. Some of the biggest bucks I have seen late season stood up in wide open cattails with no trees or any kind of cover. Makes it much harder hunting particular beds.

There are trails coming from these trees. Hopefully it’s as simple as that but kinda doubt it. Rarely that easy late season.

Here is the transition line I’m on.

The last pic if you look far in the background this is where I saw the Booner on November 10th. That was the last buck I have seen. :o

I would love to get another chance at that buck. Hoping for some late season magic here. :pray:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”