Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Great post Matty :clap:

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:06 am

He talks about the dog tests not bein fair cause if ground disturbance. That you need to use a helicopter to make it fair? Why not do it on a parking lot??
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:19 am

brkissl82 wrote:He talks about the dog tests not bein fair cause if ground disturbance. That you need to use a helicopter to make it fair? Why not do it on a parking lot??

Why wouldn’t someone walk or float a river, get in a tree stand with wind to back and then have a dog try to find the person coming down wind. Do one example with beast ideologies and one with Eberhardt ideologies. Simple....right?
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:35 am

matt1336 wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:He talks about the dog tests not bein fair cause if ground disturbance. That you need to use a helicopter to make it fair? Why not do it on a parking lot??

Why wouldn’t someone walk or float a river, get in a tree stand with wind to back and then have a dog try to find the person coming down wind. Do one example with beast ideologies and one with Eberhardt ideologies. Simple....right?

Haha yea seems like simpler ways than a helicopter
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:11 am

Matty wrote:Listened to the entire podcast series, but admittedly only skimmed these 30+ pages. Great listen. To me, Dan is like the greatest mature buck detective. He just thinks of things and in a way that most people don't.

I won't badmouth John E. because I think he does really well (way better than me) lol and anyone that kills big bucks consistently is doing something right. He has also written some great books and honestly he hunts kind of similar to most of us here. (primary scrapes near bedding, very stealthy, uses a saddle to get in non-climber trees, scouts a lot while prepping trees in the off season, etc) It's not exactly like our style, but it holds similarities. I also think he really believes in what he's doing and confidence is a huge part of anything. I will however say his claim of not being busted in 18 years or whatever he said was insane. Yeah right. "Been picked, but not winded"...I don't want to call the guy a liar, but holy crap that's a bold statement that I just can't buy.

I also agree with Dan on being stinky sweaty and getting busted less.

First time I really took notice was probably like 2007 or 2008? Rifle hunting upstate NY. I had been in a camp with no shower for 10-11 days. I was doing a mix of stand hunting and still hunting. Well the 10th or 11th day I was still-hunting and ended up getting into deer. Ended up jumping a real large buck and then later shooting a smaller 8 point. During the stalk on the 8 pointer I shot, I had a doe get within feet of me, downwind. As she approached right into my scentstream, I got ready for snorting. It never happened. She never even reacted. She actually stood there for a minute or so nibbling on a bush I was using for cover. Granted she was young, but this was a deep woods deer and I could have touched her and I smelled rotten..... She finally moved off and I ended up shooting the buck a minute or so later.

After that event I started thinking about it more and more. Then I started occasionally hunting confidently without showering or cleaning clothes. (I had already done that from time to time because of work and just trying to get out as often as possible, but generally tried to be clean). Now almost 10 years later I purposely stay sweaty and dirty for many days at a time while hunting. (it would be embarrassing to say how long, lol) Gods honest truth, I get busted less like that. Sounds completely insane, but there's something to it.

I tried scent-lok way back around when it came out. I got busted a lot. Probably because I started to ignore the wind. Though I do remember one time having a buck about 80 yards down wind and he wasn't reacting. As it was getting too dark to shoot, I removed the head net (it was closing time) and suddenly he started snorting. Pretty damn dark and far for him to see me, so that experience did make me wonder if there was something to it, especially the head net....but air currents could have been doing something I didn't realize. I also had many negative experiences wearing scent-lok that negated the one positive in my mind.

Now I'm in a different place anyway. Even if I thought Scent-lok worked, I wouldn't use it.

For me, the last decade or so has been spent trying to learn the wind like it's a job. In fact I think that is our job as bowhunters. That's one of the most fun parts of hunting for me now. So I'm with Dan, I hope they never figure out a way to fool a deers nose. It would take all the fun out of it. I want the deer to win. I want it to be challenging...really challenging. If its not, where is the fun? Where is the accomplishment?

Great post. We are on the same page.

I've worked in this industry now since I got out of high school and have hunted with many "experts" and heard their claims on scent control. Most are different and they all have "proof" or reasons why their way is the right way. Very few of them ever made much sense to me. Seemed like their arrogance clouded good judgement in some cases.

Dan will admit he makes many mistakes while hunting. In fact, most of his best lessons are learned through his mistakes. John gives me the impression that he has it all figured out. Which most of us know is impossible. I don't personally know him and could be wrong.

I will say this, Beast tactics are the only ones that I've personally tested and seen positive results. The rest did not work for me for a variety of reasons. Learning about wind and how bucks use it to survive is #1 for me.

Guess I've seen to many big bucks shot off of 5 gallon buckets by old guys smoking cigarettes..... :D
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 am

Mathewshooter wrote:
dan wrote:

Code: Select all

I hear ya...I just dont put much stock into tests. [glow=red]For every test out there, you can darn near find one that contradicts the other.[/glow] I like to try stuff out for myself and see what works. As for the Ozonics thing....I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I can't remember ever seeing a test done independently ( not a scent control company) that did not have the same results. Thats pretty convincing to me. If you have seen something different, I would like to see it.

If you are referring to those tests with trained tracking dogs, we could go round and round about the variables of those tests for days. The test that sold me is my real world experiences in the field but I'm also very impressed with this independent test done by the leading University in testing and researching activated carbon. http://www.scentlok.com/wp-content/uplo ... g_Data.pdf

The test you refereed to just proves you can reduce scent. Thats a given. What you can't do is eliminate it. Really, I don't know how anyone could legitammatly argue a dog test when dogs do not smell anywhere near as good as deer. As far as them being trained, what does that have to do with anything? either they smell you, or they don't. If the dog is brought down wind of humans hidden in boxes and never crosses there scent trail and always smells the scent loc guy the fastest, its no argument to me... It proves to me they are smelling and finding the scent loc guys faster and easier than a dirty guy. Every test done had those results, and I have seen over a 1/2 dozen of these tests. How could anyone argue that the dog test is flawed? They either smell you, or they don't. To each there own... If it works for you, more power to you. It don't make any difference for me.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:23 am

Mathewshooter wrote:
Strenke629 wrote:
dan wrote:
Strenke629 wrote:I wonder if John would ever do an experiment with his method on his terms.. :think:

He purposefully made his terms ridicules to prevent that...

Lol. Yeah I think in his podcast he said the only way he’d do a test is if he had a helicopter drop him down with a rope and he lay down flat in the grass and have a dog cross down wind of him. Does he do that in the woods?? Hmm... :think:

Really because of that statement his method is flawed.

Its obvious that you dont know how trained tracking dogs work. They follow the ground disturbances when there is no scent to follow. Kinda like if you walked across a dew covered field. It would be easy for anyone to track you without picking up any scent. Being air lifted into a treestand would be a good start for a test. The main problem I have with these tests is like I've stated, I dont believe you can be 100% odor free so the dogs are looking for any scent...even the faintest human odor. Now, is this odor so faint that the deer dont pay much attention to it in areas where they smell humans all the time? Thats impossible to ask the dogs. If you believe, as Dan does, that even the faintest of human odor sends the deer packing then I wouldnt go through the trouble of a scent control regimen. I dont believe it to be this way in the areas I hunt. I've always been a believer in the skunk theory. How do you know how close a skunk is to you when you smell it? Apply that logic to a deer and human scent.

Actually the tests addressed this. They had multiple people use one trail and the dog follow the scent of one guy, and he folled only that guys scent when the trail split. Also, the took guys to boxes and had the dog go downwind NEVER crossing the guys walking path and the dog smelled the scent loc guy fastest every time.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:31 am

Mathewshooter wrote:
Strenke629 wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
Strenke629 wrote:
dan wrote:
Strenke629 wrote:I wonder if John would ever do an experiment with his method on his terms.. :think:

He purposefully made his terms ridicules to prevent that...

Lol. Yeah I think in his podcast he said the only way he’d do a test is if he had a helicopter drop him down with a rope and he lay down flat in the grass and have a dog cross down wind of him. Does he do that in the woods?? Hmm... :think:

Really because of that statement his method is flawed.

Its obvious that you dont know how trained tracking dogs work. They follow the ground disturbances when there is no scent to follow. Kinda like if you walked across a dew covered field. It would be easy for anyone to track you without picking up any scent. Being air lifted into a treestand would be a good start for a test. The main problem I have with these tests is like I've stated, I dont believe you can be 100% odor free so the dogs are looking for any scent...even the faintest human odor. Now, is this odor so faint that the deer dont pay much attention to it in areas where they smell humans all the time? Thats impossible to ask the dogs. If you believe, as Dan does, that even the faintest of human odor sends the deer packing then I wouldnt go through the trouble of a scent control regimen. I dont believe it to be this way in the areas I hunt. I've always been a believer in the skunk theory. How do you know how close a skunk is to you when you smell it? Apply that logic to a deer and human scent.

Yeah I do know how tracking dogs work actually. I heard all of what you just said in the podcasts too. In fact though, tracking dogs follow the SCENT of disturbed ground, not the actual visual cue as your describing. This is what I am referring to when I say the completely scent free comment is flawed. Since you can’t be lowered down from a helicopter in the woods, you WILL be leaving behind scent of some kind. Even if your completely human scent free which I believe is impossible. Whether it’s your own or disturbed ground, your leaving behind scent. Deer have a way better sense of smell than dogs do as well, so I can guarentee the deer can smell that same disturbed ground scent. Because of that it’s impossible to be completely scent free the way he talks about. You shouldn’t talk in absolutes because it opens you up to criticism. Saying I’m completely scent free is a BOLD comment in the hunting industry.

I agree he shouldnt say he is completely scent free. Even if he was, theres no way to prove that. When he says scent free, I'm sure he's referring to human scent not disturbed ground vegetation. That can be easily masked by having clean rubber boots and coon urine....I do it all the time. The deer sniff my entry trail and just continue on.

Deer do that to me all the time, just a couple hunts ago I wore my oily smelly work boots (I work in a machine shop) because my boots were wet, and had several deer cross my scent trail and not react at all. One sniffed the trail, the others walked right over it, and the last one did react even though that was the youngest deer, but even his reaction was not much, just stood there for a minute looking around and they all came back thru the next time I hunted that area. Happens all the time. And I have never washed my hunting jacket, harness, etc. Its rare I get blown at or busted hard. When I do its usually a 1st sit in a bedding area where they don't tolerate it.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:42 am

Aaron1987 wrote:
Matty wrote:Listened to the entire podcast series, but admittedly only skimmed these 30+ pages. Great listen. To me, Dan is like the greatest mature buck detective. He just thinks of things and in a way that most people don't.

I won't badmouth John E. because I think he does really well (way better than me) lol and anyone that kills big bucks consistently is doing something right. He has also written some great books and honestly he hunts kind of similar to most of us here. (primary scrapes near bedding, very stealthy, uses a saddle to get in non-climber trees, scouts a lot while prepping trees in the off season, etc) It's not exactly like our style, but it holds similarities. I also think he really believes in what he's doing and confidence is a huge part of anything. I will however say his claim of not being busted in 18 years or whatever he said was insane. Yeah right. "Been picked, but not winded"...I don't want to call the guy a liar, but holy crap that's a bold statement that I just can't buy.

I also agree with Dan on being stinky sweaty and getting busted less.

First time I really took notice was probably like 2007 or 2008? Rifle hunting upstate NY. I had been in a camp with no shower for 10-11 days. I was doing a mix of stand hunting and still hunting. Well the 10th or 11th day I was still-hunting and ended up getting into deer. Ended up jumping a real large buck and then later shooting a smaller 8 point. During the stalk on the 8 pointer I shot, I had a doe get within feet of me, downwind. As she approached right into my scentstream, I got ready for snorting. It never happened. She never even reacted. She actually stood there for a minute or so nibbling on a bush I was using for cover. Granted she was young, but this was a deep woods deer and I could have touched her and I smelled rotten..... She finally moved off and I ended up shooting the buck a minute or so later.

After that event I started thinking about it more and more. Then I started occasionally hunting confidently without showering or cleaning clothes. (I had already done that from time to time because of work and just trying to get out as often as possible, but generally tried to be clean). Now almost 10 years later I purposely stay sweaty and dirty for many days at a time while hunting. (it would be embarrassing to say how long, lol) Gods honest truth, I get busted less like that. Sounds completely insane, but there's something to it.

I tried scent-lok way back around when it came out. I got busted a lot. Probably because I started to ignore the wind. Though I do remember one time having a buck about 80 yards down wind and he wasn't reacting. As it was getting too dark to shoot, I removed the head net (it was closing time) and suddenly he started snorting. Pretty damn dark and far for him to see me, so that experience did make me wonder if there was something to it, especially the head net....but air currents could have been doing something I didn't realize. I also had many negative experiences wearing scent-lok that negated the one positive in my mind.

Now I'm in a different place anyway. Even if I thought Scent-lok worked, I wouldn't use it.

For me, the last decade or so has been spent trying to learn the wind like it's a job. In fact I think that is our job as bowhunters. That's one of the most fun parts of hunting for me now. So I'm with Dan, I hope they never figure out a way to fool a deers nose. It would take all the fun out of it. I want the deer to win. I want it to be challenging...really challenging. If its not, where is the fun? Where is the accomplishment?

Great post. We are on the same page.

I've worked in this industry now since I got out of high school and have hunted with many "experts" and heard their claims on scent control. Most are different and they all have "proof" or reasons why their way is the right way. Very few of them ever made much sense to me. Seemed like their arrogance clouded good judgement in some cases.

Dan will admit he makes many mistakes while hunting. In fact, most of his best lessons are learned through his mistakes. John gives me the impression that he has it all figured out. Which most of us know is impossible. I don't personally know him and could be wrong.

I will say this, Beast tactics are the only ones that I've personally tested and seen positive results. The rest did not work for me for a variety of reasons. Learning about wind and how bucks use it to survive is #1 for me.

Guess I've seen to many big bucks shot off of 5 gallon buckets by old guys smoking cigarettes..... :D

Great post Matty.
Aaron, I had to chuckle at your comment about the old guy on the bucket cause scouting 2 different properties for guys last year both told similar stories about how they put in food plots, hinge cut, make water holes, use trail cams, and hunt every weekend but can't seem to get it done, but the elderly guy next door just goes out and sits in a chair opening day of gun and shoots the biggest buck every year. Sometimes a guy wants it to much, and the guy who leaves everything alone till kill time gets it done. 8-)
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:10 am

dan wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
dan wrote:

Code: Select all

I hear ya...I just dont put much stock into tests. [glow=red]For every test out there, you can darn near find one that contradicts the other.[/glow] I like to try stuff out for myself and see what works. As for the Ozonics thing....I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I can't remember ever seeing a test done independently ( not a scent control company) that did not have the same results. Thats pretty convincing to me. If you have seen something different, I would like to see it.

If you are referring to those tests with trained tracking dogs, we could go round and round about the variables of those tests for days. The test that sold me is my real world experiences in the field but I'm also very impressed with this independent test done by the leading University in testing and researching activated carbon. http://www.scentlok.com/wp-content/uplo ... g_Data.pdf

The test you refereed to just proves you can reduce scent. Thats a given. What you can't do is eliminate it. Really, I don't know how anyone could legitammatly argue a dog test when dogs do not smell anywhere near as good as deer. As far as them being trained, what does that have to do with anything? either they smell you, or they don't. If the dog is brought down wind of humans hidden in boxes and never crosses there scent trail and always smells the scent loc guy the fastest, its no argument to me... It proves to me they are smelling and finding the scent loc guys faster and easier than a dirty guy. Every test done had those results, and I have seen over a 1/2 dozen of these tests. How could anyone argue that the dog test is flawed? They either smell you, or they don't. To each there own... If it works for you, more power to you. It don't make any difference for me.

This is what I've been saying all along. I never once said you can totally eliminate your scent. I think you can reduce it enough so that the deer think you are further away or were there a while ago, especially in areas where smelling people is common. Like you said....if it works for you. I just dont feel comfortable going into the woods smelling like a high school gymnasium.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:31 am

"The test you refereed to just proves you can reduce scent. Thats a given. What you can't do is eliminate it. "

Sounds like the difference between going on a diet or a partial diet...
You will loose weight on a partial diet too. Just not as quick...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:17 pm

This is what I've been saying all along. I never once said you can totally eliminate your scent. I think you can reduce it enough so that the deer think you are further away or were there a while ago, especially in areas where smelling people is common. Like you said....if it works for you. I just dont feel comfortable going into the woods smelling like a high school gymnasium.

And my point was that all the test results show that scent reduction does not stop a dog from knowing exactly where you are, or when you went past. So a study that shows carbon reduces odor don't prove anything. Show me a test that fools a dogs nose that is not done by a scent control company, or endorsed by there money, and you will have my attention. When every single test has the same results. I tend to believe those results. Especially when they correspond with what I see in the woods, and with people I hunt with. To each there own... Im not convinced any product can help, and based on test results, I am leaning more towards it hurting you more than helping.
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Aaron1987 wrote:Great post. We are on the same page.

LOL The old man smoking on a bucket must attract mature bucks, because I've heard of and seen that too. Maybe I'll take up smoking and swing by Home Depot for a new bucket later. :lol:

I agree with you on everything too.

John E. can seem really genuine at times, but other times, it's pretty obvious he has an agenda and he almost sounds like he's talking down to the rest of us. I will say though, he's better than most of what I see on TV. I can't even stomach the majority of hunting shows, they don't teach anything, it's all about products. I really hate how commercialized hunting has become. It shouldn't be like that and it's a shame that's what most new hunters are fed.

Anyway, I think it comes down to genuine honesty vs having an agenda. John is obviously "selling" scent-lok, even if he doesn't make money. Guys like you and Dan and others are just sharing experiences and knowledge, the good and the bad. (you put out awesome videos by the way) Like you said, we learn the most from our mistakes. That's what it should be. If there's a product that you think helps, great, it might work for me too.

There are some great products out there and I have my favorites, but contrary to what the industry preaches, no piece of gear or clothing is a shortcut to success.

Mathewshooter wrote:This is what I've been saying all along. I never once said you can totally eliminate your scent. I think you can reduce it enough so that the deer think you are further away or were there a while ago, especially in areas where smelling people is common. Like you said....if it works for you. I just dont feel comfortable going into the woods smelling like a high school gymnasium.

That's what most guys say with scent control and it makes sense. It's what I believed a long time ago too.

However, I'm not sure we can actually reduce our scent enough to make them think we're further away. At least not enough to make a difference. I'm not sure how they do it, but I've seen them tell the difference.

I can think of three properties where I've watched them tell the difference between a clean human using scent-control in the woods and unclean human where they expect them.

If you care, keep reading.

First example takes us back to about the mid 90's when my brother and I were really into scent control. We were hunting a tiny public piece of swampy woods that butted up to baseball fields. The fields were used almost nightly for baseball games. Deer frequently fed out past the homerun fence late evening. The wind generally blew from the fields into the woods. Washing with baking soda and using scent-lok suits that we stored in totes and rubber boots, my brother and I setup inside the woods on heavy trails about 40-50 yards in just before the really wet stuff, figuring we'd cut them off before they get out to the fields with more light to shoot. The deer busted us. We tried it a couple more times, moving closer to the fields each time. Busted every time. Lots of snorting. Finally my brother decided, to with it, and he setup on the very edge of the field with a ball game going on. As the game ended, deer started filtering into the field. Grunt call caught his string and he missed a buck that night. No more snorting though. From then on, we setup right on the very edge and shot a good number of deer.

They had to smell the baseball players. They also had to smell the ballplayers fans and siblings running around right near where the deer fed. They weren't phased by any of that though and we're talking a difference of 20 yards. As soon as human scent was in the woods though, they knew the smell was dangerous. Same thing with the few times kids went into the woods. Deer would snort from the bedding cover. (maybe it was a visual thing too)

Saw the same thing with a tiny woodlot behind a house I used to have permission for. Deer would feed in the yard and eat the garden, even with people sitting on the deck, and they would ignore human scent all over that area. Setup in the woods, they would bust a clean scent-lok hunter mere yards in, but not even care about all the human scent from regular people a short distance away.

About 7 years ago (no longer using scent-control) I watched the same thing happen during a management hunt on a golf course. Watched deer snort at hunters that were very extreme with their scent control that were hunting just inside the woods edges. Same property, some days I would setup in a tree in the fairway and have deer come in downwind of me (not clean), passing right by golfers. I also got away with more in the woods while unclean, getting busted far less often than the one guy who took things to a ridiculous extreme. When the hunt ended, the manager of that hunt said I was the top killer there. He said he had to laugh because I usually wore mismatched camo (if I even wore camo) and I was in the tree before other guys were even finished spraying down and dressing out of rubbermaid bins.

Is this enough evidence to say they can tell the distance regardless of scent-control? No, there's some flaws in using my observations, such as was some of it visual? What were wind currents really doing? Do some guys just fidget and move more and get busted? etc....But I'm pretty sure they can almost pinpoint where a scent is coming from, how fresh, how far, danger close? etc...even if you use all the scent-control measures. But I could be wrong.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Very interesting observations Matty. The real world examples are what I like to hear about. 8-)
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:32 pm

First post here. I am very interested in the "beast" style of hunting.

I have listened to several podcasts with John and Dan beside these but I just finished these 3 and they were very informative.

I live in upstate NY in the Northern Zone.

I just thought I would take a few explain my experience with scentlok clothing.

I started hunting in 1988 at 12 years old in the big woods on northern NY as well as some farmland in the Southern Zone. I quickly learned that those big woods deer did not put up with scent at all while the farmland deer seemed to tolerate it to a point.

Fast forward to 2002 and I purchaserd my own 140 acres of basically hemlock swamp in Northern Zone. No farms for miles. Because of the hemlock it was mostly ground blind hunting because you can't see far from and tree. The second year I hunted the land it seemed I would get winded more times than not. So I purchased just a scentlok jacket. That seemed to make zero difference. Then in 2004 it was more of the same, getting winded quite a bit. It seems like the wind swirls a lot in this flat swampy land.

So mid season I purchased the scentlok pants and the head cover. My first sit with that set up was in the Southern Zone with the bow in early November. A doe comes out at first light downwind of course. She gets directly down wind but does not spook. She senses something but she does not come inglued, she continues on. A half hour later a small buck comes through right on her track. He walks directly down wind of me where the doe was and I kill him.

2 weeks later rifle hunting in the northern

So that was good, a positive result but it could just be because I am in farmland where the deer litterally seem dumber.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”