Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:34 am

Dewey wrote:I haven't listened to it yet but the comments about John questioning Dan's bed hunting and scouting tactics strikes me as unnecessary. Thought the podcast was strictly about scent control? :?

You gotta listen to the context of the whole part of that question. The first time I read about Dan finding buck beds I thought yeah right whose this guy hosin'. But when I kept reading I realized what a hardcore kind of a hunter this guy is. Then the common sense logical explanations got me hooked.

John's killing some big mature bucks. Consistently. His system works for him. He's self taught. If it ain't broke don't fix it. So why should John be looking at some new controversial, to the hunting public in general, technique!!

I'm not in love with the guy. Had heard only a little bit about him before joining the Beast. Much more about him since joining. Just think he needs to be shown some respect.

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:47 am

stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:I haven't listened to it yet but the comments about John questioning Dan's bed hunting and scouting tactics strikes me as unnecessary. Thought the podcast was strictly about scent control? :?

You gotta listen to the context of the whole part of that question. The first time I read about Dan finding buck beds I thought yeah right whose this guy hosin'. But when I kept reading I realized what a hardcore kind of a hunter this guy is. Then the common sense logical explanations got me hooked.

John's killing some big mature bucks. Consistently. His system works for him. He's self taught. If it ain't broke don't fix it. So why should John be looking at some new controversial, to the hunting public in general, technique!!

I'm not in love with the guy. Had heard only a little bit about him before joining the Beast. Much more about him since joining. Just think he needs to be shown some respect.

I respect his hunting abilities and his effort (I bought and read and still read his 2 books).
This think about his scent control...that you have to do it all in and do it just like he does it or it's no good, to me is an out he has invented. Anytime someone gets scented he can say "Well you didn't do it right..."
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:54 am

I hope John convinces more and more Michigan guys that finding mature buck beds is hogwash :lol:
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Maybe it's an "old dog, new tricks" kind of situation, but to me it seems obvious. One guy is touting expensive gear that you have to buy and all of the components to it and refers to mature bucks as 3.5 year olds... the other talks about common sense, blue collar tactics using nature, nature's gifts(milkweed), and human intellect and hard work and refers to mature bucks as 5 plus years old...

I've done a lot of research in the past two years. I'm a newb, haven't even killed a deer yet. I researched a lot of john's stuff early and other guys too. Bought all the pixie dust and the scentlok bag to keep my clothes in and all that because that info was in my face and my buddy who's been hunting his whole life said that's what I have to do. Then I found the beast and it all made sense. Now my buddy thinks I'm crazy because I scout 2 miles out into a marsh that doesn't look like it's been walked by another human in 20+years. I'm about the work and not the gimmicks. I guess I just felt John's comments were somewhat condescending towards Beast style hunting and quite frankly either uninformed or specifically contrary because those tactics ultimately discourage paying into the scent control hunting industry which he clearly has a stake in.
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:21 pm

stash59 wrote:

I own all of John's books and videos and have talked to him in person. Believe it when I say he's repected by me. He's no doubt is a consistent buck killer. I will have to listen before I comment more.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:33 pm

I will listen tonight. Looking forward to it
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Just finished listening, looking forward to the next 2 parts.

At around the 33 minute mark John stated (paraphrased) that it blows his mind that someone can find a mature buck bed during post season scouting , because patterns change and the bucks won't be in the same area in March versus October (heavily paraphrased ).

John does not appear to be a fan of "stacking". (Craziest thing he's ever heard)......it is kinda crazy, but I'm gonna try it this year in one particular spot.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:23 pm

I'll be honest I think it should have been a one on one debate.

He sounds like he had too do so much research and apply it to other industries so he can help sell the product...otherwise why not just use the product you trust so much and if anyone questions you just say suit yourself if you don't want an advantage don't use it. Just my opinion but the way he defended it and talked about it he sounded like the greasy salesman I have to weed through on a daily basis at work. Don't hate me for saying it, I respect his kills, but he's selling a product and it is pretty blatant when he talks.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Great works guys, the commentary was entertaining to say the least...

coming from a science background.... here are my initial thoughts

I call Eberhart's example into question, once he said "the next day", the first sit they did not know you were there, "the second day they knew you were"

The first sit is your best opportunity for success. Deer are data collectors in their environment, I don't buy into the fact that you can leave an area without a trace.

How is he grading that impact on the second day sit? There are too many variables that play into going into an area the second day

The examples do not follow standard scientific practice, because he ran the test on two different days, two different times, under what was undoubtedly two different wind and thermal conditions. Predominant wind may have been the same, but thermals, barometric pressure, humidity, and temperatures vary in an open space environment

If he conducted this experiment under a controlled environmental chamber then maybe it proves something but otherwise this proves nothing, too many variables to make this a legitimate test.

Furthermore, how did he know it was the same deer? Was it radio collared? I'm sorry, but don't site science as your explanation then loosely apply the scientific method

I digress... Eberhart has killed some good bucks, but just not buying the science based explanation for why it works.

so do you descent your stand, bow, arrows, binoculars, range finder, grunt tubes, phone etc... your putting a number of items into a deer's natural environment that will introduce scent into their environment that "potentially" is not what they are used to smelling....

that being said, he believes in his methods, and maybe that is the most important element of all... being confident... :D

The "I can smell farts through it" was priceless, :lol:, when I used a wear scentlok all the time, and follow a scent cleansing regimen a hunting partner of mine used to always call it "fart lock" :lol:
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:45 pm

I think a deal should be made...

John thinks bed hunting is crazy....but says deer can't smell him

John goes hunting with Dan...Dan pinpoints primary buck beds and has John slowly sneak up behind the buck and shoot it in its bed.
If he is truly scent free as long as he makes little noise he can kill every buck Dan pinpoints in its bed he doesn't have to worry about wind just make sure he comes in from behind and is quiet enough to not alert the buck.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:50 pm

Johns regemind isn't the first guy I've read about or seen on vids/shows. Doing that type of intense scent control program. With a number of big bucks under their belt.

Years ago. Even Gene Wensel said scent control is an all or nothing proposition. Alot of effort and work to do it right. These guys mentioned above weren't being paid by ScentLok or had an agenda to promote themselves. In fact their so far out of the limelight I can't even remember their names.

I've been bowhunting since 1972. Seen alot of stuff come and go. For some reason ScentLok is still around. You can say it's marketing. But some people must be having some success or it would be long gone.

That said it's not for me at this point in my life. I'm leaning toward more and more primitive things. Leaving all modern technologies behind. But I don't feel someone who hasn't even killed a deer can make a honest claim on this either way yet. No offense to any one. I wanna be my own man and make my decisions based on my experiences. Study differing opinions and deciding for myself. Not just copy something some one else said. And deride a hunter that has one heck of a wall full of good bucks. Highly pressured bucks at that.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:55 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I can believe he's never heard of dan. A lot of people in Michigan have never heard of him that I talk with

Nothing against Dan, but John saw the hunting industry as poison early on. Back in the day he realize Myles Keller was the only guy really hunting and he said f'it, do my own thing. Dan ain't a fan of the mainstream industry either. This they have in common.

Havent listed to this but looking forward to it. Much respect for both.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:12 pm

After my second listen of part 1, the biggest take aways for me were.

Both hunters have done testing on public land deer.
Both hunters agree on rubber boots.
Both hunters agree the industry lies to us.
Both hunters go the extra mile in their preperations.
Both hunters think the other's preparations are crazy.
Both hunters are highly confident in their preparations.
Both hunters made great cases on the subject.

Again, really looking forward to part2.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:34 pm

I listened to the podcast twice and I believe John believes in the scent loc deal. Personally I think john is a disrespectful guy and I hope Dan rips him a new one. I didn't like his attitude when wired to hunt interviewed him either. He treated Dan Johnson like he sucked at hunting because he lives in Iowa. Very low class in my opinion. Just my opinion though, I'm sure lots of folks love the guy
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Great listen! I think John could learn a thing or two from dan with hunting tactics. A buck bed found in spring scouting is no good for fall? Cmon John what about rubs in the bed? They aren't making them in spring with no antlers and primary bedding they use all year. The total scent control process. I don't want to go thru all that with all the other work it takes for hunting pressured bucks. I'll still play the wind and use milkweed. I'd like to hear more in depth approaches John takes to find big bucks in Michigan. Maybe I need to read his books again

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”