Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Octang wrote:I finally got time to sit down and listen to the pod cast. First of all, I have to say John Eberhart knows way more about deer hunting than I do, so I can't knock his track record or success. However, I found portions of his interview to be arrogant and condescending. But my biggest gripe with him is his shilling of scent lok products without any disclosures.

I make my daily living through online marketing and the FTC has very clear rules about promoting products you are affiliated with. Regardless of whether he gets paid, or simply gets his clothing for free, his constant promotion of scent lok without first disclosing his relationship (without needing to be asked) is a blatant violation of the FTC’s Endorsement Guides. The moment you enter any sort of relationship with a brand a preemptive disclosure is required if you are going to discuss their product. I've written hundreds of sponsored posts and always played by the rules so it really irks me to see another influencer skirting the guidelines. Like, why should I have to put a big "SPONSORED" disclosure in all of my content this guy doesn't?
#endrant

I'm done commenting on JE behaviors, its not worth my time and I would advise everyone else to do the same, but what you bring up is a huge gripe of mine across the hunting industry. If the FCC cracked down on the hunting industry and everyone who is bought and paid for but don't admit it a bunch of people would be getting some big fines.

I am not sure why it hasn't been enforced...maybe not enough money in hunting. To us it is big $$ but to the FCC it is peanuts compared to other industries.

BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:02 am

I don't know if anyone saw but the last part of the series is out. I'm pretty sure the last post in the thread is dated 9/13 and on my itunes it says the podcast was posted 9/15!
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 am

BradC36 wrote:I don't know if anyone saw but the last part of the series is out. I'm pretty sure the last post in the thread is dated 9/13 and on my itunes it says the podcast was posted 9/15!

Listened to it this morning...great episode for sure. Seems to me that ScentLok is the magic pixie dust. I won't keep tossing my opinions out there but I will say that I'm going to continue learning by my own skill and experience with the help of milkweed as opposed to products and gimmicks. Awesome series though and I'm glad it was brought up!
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:26 am

RidgeReaper wrote:
BradC36 wrote:I don't know if anyone saw but the last part of the series is out. I'm pretty sure the last post in the thread is dated 9/13 and on my itunes it says the podcast was posted 9/15!

Listened to it this morning...great episode for sure. Seems to me that ScentLok is the magic pixie dust. I won't keep tossing my opinions out there but I will say that I'm going to continue learning by my own skill and experience with the help of milkweed as opposed to products and gimmicks. Awesome series though and I'm glad it was brought up!

I think after listening to this series in its entirety, the one thing I decided was that I'm going to spend my life savings on Scent Lok, and that's that. I literally CAN NOT WAIT to stop putting so much time into thinking and planning for the wind and thermals.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:08 am

JoeRE wrote:
I'm done commenting on JE behaviors, its not worth my time and I would advise everyone else to do the same, but what you bring up is a huge gripe of mine across the hunting industry. If the FCC cracked down on the hunting industry and everyone who is bought and paid for but don't admit it a bunch of people would be getting some big fines.

I am not sure why it hasn't been enforced...maybe not enough money in hunting. To us it is big $$ but to the FCC it is peanuts compared to other industries.

You bring up a great point Joe, for whatever reason the hunting industry seems to operate like the wild west when it comes to false advertising. I guess I should be happy I was able to think my way out of that pixy dust mindset, all thanks to Dan and this site.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:10 am

Great series, great debate. :clap:

Man, apparently I need to move to Iowa or Kansas because apparently killing big bucks there is like shooting fish in a barrel! Sweet! :doh: :doh: :doh:
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:17 am

Just finished it up. Thanks for doing this Dan and John.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:24 am

It's was interesting debate for sure. I have lobbed this criticism at John before (personally, actually, on a different forum) but he generally regurgitates the same information over and over. If you read his books, you can pretty much guess at what he will be talking about when he's interviewed. The same can be said for any articles/blogs he writes. Dan and beast-style hunting is still new to me, so it's exciting to be learning new things from this forum and it's members. I am excited to see how beast tactics work out for me this season, as I am quite sure I have a couple of beds pinned.

One thing I want to mention about scentlok brand clothing (full disclosure I own several sets of scentlok suits) that even if it didn't have activated carbon it would still be pretty nice hunting clothing. Quiet, comfortable, and has pretty good fit. I purchased most of mine from their websites legacy locker (can get really good discounts there) years before I really understood what activated carbon was. I was mostly intrigued because they were a Michigan brand and I like to support the local economy when I can. If you are in the market for high-quality hunting clothing I wouldn't dismiss scentlok out of hand - it's still really nice even without the activated carbon - but can totally understand if the whole scent-free marketing spiel rubs you the wrong way.

I think John also touched on an important thing about having a scent control routine which is the amount of time it takes to put into practice. I am the guy that always changes at his car because it's not always practical for me to change at home. To me it's very practical and easy to simply keep a tote in my car with my hunting clothing in it so I can capitalize on the limited time available to me to hunt. Often times I will drive straight from work (i'm a "professional" with an office job) and having to go back home to change would often shave an easy 30minutes to an hour off my hunt. I would say that my 'scent routine' takes all of 5-10 minutes to put into practice while changing at the car. If it took me any longer I would probably quit doing it altogether.

I do still play the wind because I don't believe my routine is perfect (nor do I care for it to be), but I can say I have had some very eyebrow raising results while wearing scentlok brand clothing. To me the moderate scent control routine I practice does not diminish in my hunts enjoyment at all.

Anyway awesome podcast and fun debate. Thanks to the podcast hosts and both Dan and John!
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:06 am

OK...I actually made it half way thru part 3, before I couldn't take it anymore. Which was really good for me! Besides Dan's parts, which are always informative. All I can say is Wow!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:28 am

I finished part 3 yesterday, & then flipped over to a gritty bowmen podcast. They were discussing several blown elk stalks due to wind - dudes need to get them some scent lok!!!! If indeed scent lok eliminated 99% of human odor it should sell like hot cakes to the western hunters.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:31 am

tgreeno wrote:OK...I actually made it half way thru part 3, before I couldn't take it anymore. Which was really good for me! Besides Dan's parts, which are always informative. All I can say is Wow!

I'm made it all the way to the end, but my WOW moment came when I heard that JE has only been winded once in 17 years because he didn't wipe his face off enough times.

:liar: :snooty:
Joe™
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:22 am

I'm sorry and not trying to be mean but I can't stand John Eberhart. Idc if his scent control routine works or not. He comes off as a know it all elitist.
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:49 am

https://www.scentlok.com/wp-content/upl ... g_Data.pdf

Above is the link to the Rutgers study. It is very interesting. I am not a very analytical person but on the surface it looks very favorable that ScentLok absorbs scents. However it looks in the test the odor was forced to pass through the scentlok as it had no where else to go. Also when you look at the data they commonly have 80,000 odor molecules passing through with no fabric. So if Scentlok is 97% effective does that mean that 3% or 2,400 scent molecules escaped. What does 2,400 scent molecules smell to a deer? Now they were using more scent molecules than usual. But that also doesnt take in consideration having loose garments such as your jacket zipped down or your facemask pulled down. You get overheated and thats what people will do.

My thinking at least for the moment is Scentlok could assist in certain hunting situations like John hunts when he is hunting a destination spot which he does often with preset trees. However it would seem that if hunting like Dan is which is bringing stand/sticks and setting up near a bed that there is no way for someone to do that realistically with the wind blowing into the bedding area without some scent getting to the buck. I mean your going to be sweaty and you not going to have your suit wrapped around you the whole time you are setting up.
The buck will probably bust out of there of wait till after dark to leave.

Now I did find an article from a guy who snuck in and killed a buck in his bed with swirling winds and his scent blowing into the bed and attributed to Scentlok. Of course it was the founder of ScentLok, the same guy who just bought a 1.5 million dollar house in Muskegon Mi. :D
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:07 am

I honestly think it just boils down to what you have confidence in. Be it circling your car 3 times before hitting the woods, or wearing your lucky undies all season. :puke-front:
Joe™

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”