Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby SidewayZ » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:58 am

Lots of good info and views throughout the series on both sides.

To me the whole thing turned into the old Ford vs Chevy debate. :roll:

Me I will stick with the wind. I subscribe to the keep it simple method!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:11 am

Perfectionitz wrote:Great series, great debate. :clap:

Man, apparently I need to move to Iowa or Kansas because apparently killing big bucks there is like shooting fish in a barrel! Sweet! :doh: :doh: :doh:

If only it were that easy. I've hunted both states and it's not nearly as easy as he makes it sound and to say he guarantees he'll kill a 140 in a week is down right arrogant. By the stories I've read he talks about hunting mainly on private ground in these states and still had talked about lowering his standards from a 150 to 140 to 130. No idea why he'd do that if it was so easy. Granted it's easier than Michigan but not a guarantee. Also the part in the second one where he wants to be dropped by a helicopter from a rope high enough it doesn't disturb the grass was hilarious. Is that how he gets dropped off to all his stands? Of course not so he's going to disturb stuff on the way in and deer have another 700 olfactory receptors than dogs so they will definitely smell him. He's obviously been successful but it sounds like he's very arrogant in the podcast and i don't like how he pushes that product so much.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:44 am

Ive kept quiet in the shadows reading this. But Taking opinions out of the podcast wether we think one is right or the other as I said to dan privately the way dan conducted himself vs john alone speaks volumes wether john is right or not I dont think arrogant attitude is doing our youth or sport any favors. Either way it was still a great podcast IMO. Well done again Dan.
Earn what’s never given.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Well I was glad to hear Jon say us Florida boys are screwed with scentlok in part 3.......That is right up until the point he said to wipe more often.......SERIOUSLY! I pack a lot of crap in the woods, but it would take 20# of wipes to do an all day sit. And what is he doing with all these wipes after he uses them.

Good luck to him he has found something that works for him come hunt in the south and see what you can do.

Congrats Mike and Adam I think you guys did a wonderful job of trying to stay neutral and not lean either way.

Now back to my regularly scheduled hunting season!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:24 pm

There is a guy at work who is really what I would call a gadget guy. Its more about finding some way not to work, or some new trick that will fool all the deer than actually hunting them. He is in great health, yet shoots the best crossbow money can buy and sets it up to shoot up to 100 yards... A couple years ago he was on a scent-loc kick. He saw an info-mercial and thought YES! I can beat there nose!!! So he starts telling me "constantly" that im wrong and the guy in the infomercial is right. We all know the guy who is a paid spokesman is just as honest as every politician out there and should be trusted with such things as our money, right?... Anywho, he buys the whole set up, and even brings some gas in to pour on his hand before putting his glove on to try and force me to sniff to prove his point. I just said, im not a deer... :roll:

So his property is set up so he enters and has to hunt from the predominant upwind side, so it makes sense when he wants to beat the wind... He comes back after a day or two of trying the stuff and starts a rant on how I was right and the stuff don't work, every deer in the woods was blowing, etc. So he goes off to call the company to complain. He comes back and says, he was wrong, the stuff DOES work! and the guy on the phone asked him how he used it, and explained what he was doing wrong, and that he had to buy more stuff to cover his face, breath, hair, ears, etc... Then he comes back on a rant of how it don't work, again. And makes another call and learns he also has to spray down and tuck / tape all openings. Then he is good again... After a season of going back and forth on if it works or not he finally quit calling to ask if he could send them more money, and agrees it don't work...

So, this year old "gadget boy" goes on a rant about Ozonics... Apparently its the greatest thing on earth... Fail proof scent removal. So he tells me how he bought all ground blinds and follows all there instructions and bla, bla, bla. :roll: Now, he hunted opening weekend, and guess what??? The deer all winded him. So, he says Ozonics is junk, and he is mad, so he calls the company to complain and comes back to tell me that he was wrong, it does work, but you have to press a boost button when ever a deer is down wind of you, and the nice man on the phone says he needs 2 units, and that if he still has a problem, some guys have 3... DOES ANYONE OTHER THAN ME SEE A PATTERN!!! :lol:
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks for being sincere and speaking the truth Dan. I will not purchase any of the magical scent suits, I don't need them. I'll focus my energy on scouting, learning, and just trying to get better.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:48 pm

dan wrote:There is a guy at work who is really what I would call a gadget guy. Its more about finding some way not to work, or some new trick that will fool all the deer than actually hunting them. He is in great health, yet shoots the best crossbow money can buy and sets it up to shoot up to 100 yards... A couple years ago he was on a scent-loc kick. He saw an info-mercial and thought YES! I can beat there nose!!! So he starts telling me "constantly" that im wrong and the guy in the infomercial is right. We all know the guy who is a paid spokesman is just as honest as every politician out there and should be trusted with such things as our money, right?... Anywho, he buys the whole set up, and even brings some gas in to pour on his hand before putting his glove on to try and force me to sniff to prove his point. I just said, im not a deer... :roll:

So his property is set up so he enters and has to hunt from the predominant upwind side, so it makes sense when he wants to beat the wind... He comes back after a day or two of trying the stuff and starts a rant on how I was right and the stuff don't work, every deer in the woods was blowing, etc. So he goes off to call the company to complain. He comes back and says, he was wrong, the stuff DOES work! and the guy on the phone asked him how he used it, and explained what he was doing wrong, and that he had to buy more stuff to cover his face, breath, hair, ears, etc... Then he comes back on a rant of how it don't work, again. And makes another call and learns he also has to spray down and tuck / tape all openings. Then he is good again... After a season of going back and forth on if it works or not he finally quit calling to ask if he could send them more money, and agrees it don't work...

So, this year old "gadget boy" goes on a rant about Ozonics... Apparently its the greatest thing on earth... Fail proof scent removal. So he tells me how he bought all ground blinds and follows all there instructions and bla, bla, bla. :roll: Now, he hunted opening weekend, and guess what??? The deer all winded him. So, he says Ozonics is junk, and he is mad, so he calls the company to complain and comes back to tell me that he was wrong, it does work, but you have to press a boost button when ever a deer is down wind of you, and the nice man on the phone says he needs 2 units, and that if he still has a problem, some guys have 3... DOES ANYONE OTHER THAN ME SEE A PATTERN!!! :lol:

Must have left out the part about ozone, confined spaces and cancer!!! 3 machines? :doh:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:52 pm

stash59 wrote:
dan wrote:There is a guy at work who is really what I would call a gadget guy. Its more about finding some way not to work, or some new trick that will fool all the deer than actually hunting them. He is in great health, yet shoots the best crossbow money can buy and sets it up to shoot up to 100 yards... A couple years ago he was on a scent-loc kick. He saw an info-mercial and thought YES! I can beat there nose!!! So he starts telling me "constantly" that im wrong and the guy in the infomercial is right. We all know the guy who is a paid spokesman is just as honest as every politician out there and should be trusted with such things as our money, right?... Anywho, he buys the whole set up, and even brings some gas in to pour on his hand before putting his glove on to try and force me to sniff to prove his point. I just said, im not a deer... :roll:

Must have left out the part about ozone, confined spaces and cancer!!! 3 machines? :doh:

Very first thing I thought when I was reading that as well!!!!!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Sure do! $100 says ScentCrusher is about to get some of "gadget boy's" money :lol:
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Oh I see a pattern alright! Return the ozonics unit and ground blinds Dan you aint fooling no one. :lol: ;)
WEA$EL

Unread postby WEA$EL » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Just firing off the cuff here as I listen this morning...

John "I have not been winded in 17 years"

John "There is no way to test a SL suit's effectiveness, the only way to know is when deer start turning up their noses like they're trying to smell something"

Wonder how he has figured out he needed a new suit over the last 17 if he hasn't gotten winded...oh yeah, he gets free suits all the time from SL...in his non-paid, non spokesman position...
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:56 pm

Wow Mario is still asking questions after all these years with you??? :lol: It was the crossbow that gave it away... ;)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:58 am

WEA$EL wrote:Just firing off the cuff here as I listen this morning...

John "I have not been winded in 17 years"

John "There is no way to test a SL suit's effectiveness, the only way to know is when deer start turning up their noses like they're trying to smell something"

Wonder how he has figured out he needed a new suit over the last 17 if he hasn't gotten winded...oh yeah, he gets free suits all the time from SL...in his non-paid, non spokesman position...

The one thing that also stuck out to me was John essentially admitted that he has no idea if bucks are winding him, because they'll just turn around and leave, but the does are the ones who make a fuss before bailing. How then, does he know if he's not alerting deer to his presence far from where he is. His scent is 30' up traveling further downwind. Maybe he thinks he's not getting winded because he's getting winded so far from him and by big old bucks that silently move away, that he'll never know?

I thought it interesting too that he consistently referred to mature bucks as 3.5-4.5 year olds. When I hear mature bucks on this site, people are generally talking 4.5-7 year olds and older! Might be he is never seeing those really old mature ones.... because they're winding him? Am I reading too much into that?

The thing that I really can't get out of my head though is Dan's skunk analogy. It makes so much sense, the guy is a genius in common sense. You can wash 96% of skunk odor away, but you'll still smell it. If we smell like skunks to a deer, it only makes sense that they'd still smell that faint odor. If there's anything that's made sense to me when reading/learning about hunting it is Dan's "think like a deer" mentality. But not just a deer, a big mature buck that knows you are trying to kill him.

Thanks Dan for more tremendous insight and thanks to the Down South boys for these podcasts. This has been a great topic, interesting reading, and a great kickoff into a new season.
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:14 am

17 years since he last got winded. :lol:
Carbon clothing made with that special "yarn" right here in the great state of denial.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:54 am

"17 years since he last got winded" 10 minutes later he say well there was this one time i got winded cause i was sweating !! Really did he say that! :lol:

Its sad to say i was once this way, im changing my ways,
Thank god for the beast, thanks dan and to everybody that share great, great info on here! :clap:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”