Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:20 am

Dewey wrote:
grangger wrote:Years ago i was dumb enough to waste money on a scent-loc suit. :oops: I took the charcoal liner out of mine and threw it away. Thank God i found this site! If i hadn't, I would be broke. :lol:

Me too. I own two Scent Lok suit with facemask, gloves, bought Scent Killer by the gallon and always kept my other gear meticulously clean and stored in sealed scent free bags. I was fully commited just like John mentions for a good number of years. I still played the wind so that's a different approach than he uses. It just seemed real stupid not take the wind into consideration and can't believe he pushes that. I wonder if he ever even used milkweed or understands thermals. I would hope so but never heard him mention that. :think:

There were plenty of times I was convinced my system was working because deer came from downwind and never smelled me. Later on when I discovered Dan's old site I learned about milkweed. Talk about an awakening. Milkweed proved without a doubt that air currents and thermals can do some pretty crazy things with your scent stream. This proved to me that Scent Lok actually gave me zero advantage over and over. Whenever deer were downwind I realeased some milkweed and time after time my scent was never really reaching the deer. If it was reaching them even with Scent Lok I got busted. I haven't used Scent Lok for probably the last 6-7 years now and honestly still have the same amount of deer coming in downwind that never smell me usually due to a just off wind or air currents and thermals carrying my scent away. I live and die by the wind and avoid all that other junk now. It's the only thing proven to work over and over and it's free.

Your statements are interesting as I have not seen anyone say they watched milkweed or knew their scent was hitting the deer and the deer busted them wearing Scent Lok (or other brands). Now, I have seen it said many tomes that when deer didn't bust them coming in from downwind it's because the scent was eluding deer.

I totally believe you Dewey but I wonder if anyone else has done a specific observation like this. Would be interesting to see it tested out.it would be interesting to see some other guys who are still using scent reducing garments provide their observations. I guess the only issue would be that Jon E. could say the hunter didn't go far enough in his prep which as I stated earlier is an out for him.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:31 am

mheichelbech wrote:
Dewey wrote:
grangger wrote:Years ago i was dumb enough to waste money on a scent-loc suit. :oops: I took the charcoal liner out of mine and threw it away. Thank God i found this site! If i hadn't, I would be broke. :lol:

Me too. I own two Scent Lok suit with facemask, gloves, bought Scent Killer by the gallon and always kept my other gear meticulously clean and stored in sealed scent free bags. I was fully commited just like John mentions for a good number of years. I still played the wind so that's a different approach than he uses. It just seemed real stupid not take the wind into consideration and can't believe he pushes that. I wonder if he ever even used milkweed or understands thermals. I would hope so but never heard him mention that. :think:

There were plenty of times I was convinced my system was working because deer came from downwind and never smelled me. Later on when I discovered Dan's old site I learned about milkweed. Talk about an awakening. Milkweed proved without a doubt that air currents and thermals can do some pretty crazy things with your scent stream. This proved to me that Scent Lok actually gave me zero advantage over and over. Whenever deer were downwind I realeased some milkweed and time after time my scent was never really reaching the deer. If it was reaching them even with Scent Lok I got busted. I haven't used Scent Lok for probably the last 6-7 years now and honestly still have the same amount of deer coming in downwind that never smell me usually due to a just off wind or air currents and thermals carrying my scent away. I live and die by the wind and avoid all that other junk now. It's the only thing proven to work over and over and it's free.

Your statements are interesting as I have not seen anyone say they watched milkweed or knew their scent was hitting the deer and the deer busted them wearing Scent Lok (or other brands). Now, I have seen it said many tomes that when deer didn't bust them coming in from downwind it's because the scent was eluding deer.

I totally believe you Dewey but I wonder if anyone else has done a specific observation like this. Would be interesting to see it tested out.it would be interesting to see some other guys who are still using scent reducing garments provide their observations. I guess the only issue would be thatJon E. could say the hunter didn't go far enough in his prep which as I stated earlier is an out for him.

Exactly. Whenever I got busted that is what I was told by the diehard Scent Lok guys.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:33 am

I listened to it this morning. I agree with others that it would have been a much better podcast if both were interviewed at the same time. Dan was way more respectful of John's tactics than the other way around. I had to laugh at the does smelling him on day two deal.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:05 am

I respect both Dan and John for who they are as hunters. Every time I listen to John talk I come away thinking that man would do himself and everyone listening a favor to take never and always out of his vocabulary. John Eberhart is a great hunter but man learn something from someone else occasionally and don't go around pretending you know more than everyone. I haven't read his books but would actually like to. I just don't like how he comes across like his way is the best. One thing to be confident but another to come across like a know it all. But like I said I feel I could still learn a lot from him...
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:31 am

Listening to john's comments about hunting beds," that is the craziest thing he has ever heard of", my first thoughts were,he doesnt sound like he knows about mature bucks as much as he acts like he does. Its obvious he has no clue to bedding habbits of deer. I will be the first to say, I thought i knew about whitetails until i got on the beast! It blew my mind away, and really made me feel kinda dumb. Scouting hard since i joined has really proven to me that these tactics are right. I will also add, i will be the first to say since pre beast i was a spray freak,had scent lock, bathed prior to hunting every time, and changed clothes in the field to reduce scent on clothes, i still got busted, as much as i didnt worry about being scent free! :think:
The other comment,"finding beds in the off season doesn't help you the next fall". Confirmed to me that he doesnt understand whitetails as much as he thinks. It kinda blew my mind, how he has not known about bedding tendencies and how to scout it. It made me think :think: is it more luck on his part! I know he has alot of knowledge about bucks, but he has to know something about bedding tactics !! He has a wall full of big bucks, i know he knows how to hunt them, id like to know what his success rate is, how long has it taken him to get to where he is at now and what his percentage rate is on first time sits are??

Dan handle him self real well, john handle his self well. Cant wait for the next two podcast. Should be good and informative!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:59 am

I don't have the success of either Dan or John, but I will say what I took away from the podcast. John came across to me as cocky and in his mind, he knows it all. He's probably a great guy, I've never studied him nor read anything by him honestly. It seems like if he was alil more open minded, he wouldn't have came across like that, but hes probably a great guy and hard to argue with his success.

To me after listening, hunting is suppose to be fun, and the way John explains the scent regime, it seems like WORK. I would get burned out within the first week. People can say lack of dedication or persistence, but I hunt to enjoy the woods and the time outdoors, and to me that sounds like torture.
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:53 am

mt008 wrote:Great works guys, the commentary was entertaining to say the least...

coming from a science background.... here are my initial thoughts

I call Eberhart's example into question, once he said "the next day", the first sit they did not know you were there, "the second day they knew you were"

The first sit is your best opportunity for success. Deer are data collectors in their environment, I don't buy into the fact that you can leave an area without a trace.

How is he grading that impact on the second day sit? There are too many variables that play into going into an area the second day

The examples do not follow standard scientific practice, because he ran the test on two different days, two different times, under what was undoubtedly two different wind and thermal conditions. Predominant wind may have been the same, but thermals, barometric pressure, humidity, and temperatures vary in an open space environment

If he conducted this experiment under a controlled environmental chamber then maybe it proves something but otherwise this proves nothing, too many variables to make this a legitimate test.

Furthermore, how did he know it was the same deer? Was it radio collared? I'm sorry, but don't site science as your explanation then loosely apply the scientific method

I digress... Eberhart has killed some good bucks, but just not buying the science based explanation for why it works.

so do you descent your stand, bow, arrows, binoculars, range finder, grunt tubes, phone etc... your putting a number of items into a deer's natural environment that will introduce scent into their environment that "potentially" is not what they are used to smelling....

that being said, he believes in his methods, and maybe that is the most important element of all... being confident... :D

The "I can smell farts through it" was priceless, :lol:, when I used a wear scentlok all the time, and follow a scent cleansing regimen a hunting partner of mine used to always call it "fart lock" :lol:

That's a good observation Mario. It would of been a better test if he would have taken his mask of on his 1st sit and see if it would have made a difference. No doubt both John and Dan are great hunters and get the job done with different tactics but both put a tremendous amount of hard work scouting and hunting. Both have said post season scouting is so important. Both have said you need to go the extra mile to get it done and both are extremely mentally tough. I heard both say you need to pretend someone is trying to kill you and go to an area where you think you are the safest and that's where you should hunt. The difference is John hunts more private land and focuses on destination spots like apple tree or white oaks or primary scrapes. Dan is finding the bed and catching them coming out to a destination. Both work. I would focus more on what they both do successfully than worry about who is better. I will say this no one comes close to putting so much effort into educating hunters better than Dan with the majority of it free.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:10 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:Listening to john's comments about hunting beds," that is the craziest thing he has ever heard of", my first thoughts were,he doesnt sound like he knows about mature bucks as much as he acts like he does. Its obvious he has no clue to bedding habbits of deer. I will be the first to say, I thought i knew about whitetails until i got on the beast! It blew my mind away, and really made me feel kinda dumb. Scouting hard since i joined has really proven to me that these tactics are right. I will also add, i will be the first to say since pre beast i was a spray freak,had scent lock, bathed prior to hunting every time, and changed clothes in the field to reduce scent on clothes, i still got busted, as much as i didnt worry about being scent free! :think:
The other comment,"finding beds in the off season doesn't help you the next fall". Confirmed to me that he doesnt understand whitetails as much as he thinks. It kinda blew my mind, how he has not known about bedding tendencies and how to scout it. It made me think :think: is it more luck on his part! I know he has alot of knowledge about bucks, but he has to know something about bedding tactics !! He has a wall full of big bucks, i know he knows how to hunt them, id like to know what his success rate is, how long has it taken him to get to where he is at now and what his percentage rate is on first time sits are??

Dan handle him self real well, john handle his self well. Cant wait for the next two podcast. Should be good and informative!!

I know hunters who have better walls than Eberhardt and they don't know the first thing about buck bedding and they don't really think beyond finding good rubs and trails. The difference is, they are good at finding areas where lots of big bucks live and they hunt a lot...especially during the week. It is amazing what a difference these 2 things can make, especially the first one.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:20 am

basspro05 wrote:I think a deal should be made...

John thinks bed hunting is crazy....but says deer can't smell him

John goes hunting with Dan...Dan pinpoints primary buck beds and has John slowly sneak up behind the buck and shoot it in its bed.
If he is truly scent free as long as he makes little noise he can kill every buck Dan pinpoints in its bed he doesn't have to worry about wind just make sure he comes in from behind and is quiet enough to not alert the buck.

Your skipping ahead... WAIT FOR SECTION 2 AND 3 ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:40 am

Dewey wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I totally believe you Dewey but I wonder if anyone else has done a specific observation like this. Would be interesting to see it tested out.it would be interesting to see some other guys who are still using scent reducing garments provide their observations. I guess the only issue would be thatJon E. could say the hunter didn't go far enough in his prep which as I stated earlier is an out for him.

Exactly. Whenever I got busted that is what I was told by the diehard Scent Lok guys.

Dewey,
You forgot to shave your entire body and only eat rose pedals and raw green beans... Try that, and if it don't work I will come up with some other reason.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:41 am

You guys need to quit bang'n on John. I want all the guys hunting the areas I hunt to think they don't need to pay attention to the wind so they don't kill off all MY big bucks. :lol: :lol:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:53 am

Haven't listened yet but the comments are a good read. I told dan when it came out I couldn't wait to hear this one, and I like Deerslayer don't listen to many podcasts.

Just one question for now, I wonder if John has come here to read the comments?
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:41 am

Darkknight54 wrote:After my second listen of part 1, the biggest take aways for me were.

Both hunters go the extra mile in their preperations.
Both hunters are highly confident in their preparations.

I consider these the keys to each of their success. Preparedness and confidence kill, IMO.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:54 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:You guys need to quit bang'n on John. I want all the guys hunting the areas I hunt to think they don't need to pay attention to the wind so they don't kill off all MY big bucks. :lol: :lol:

Word :lol:
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Primetime41 wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:After my second listen of part 1, the biggest take aways for me were.

Both hunters go the extra mile in their preperations.
Both hunters are highly confident in their preparations.

I consider these the keys to each of their success. Preparedness and confidence kill, IMO.

I agree with both of you. They both take it all the way and they both have a wall full of big bucks! Going the extra mile is what it takes to be a big buck killer!! Its a piece of the puzzle that has to be there to succeed!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”