Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store


User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 21637
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Online

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby Dewey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 am

Josh_S wrote:
Jonny wrote:Haven't listened to the podcasts, don't really plan on it now. But I'm just gonna toss this into the oven and see if it bakes. A nice little read from eberhardt

http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/i ... post-37339


and finally....THIS is why John is such a successful hunter! Post season scouting, bedding, avoiding hunter pressure, destination areas (sounds like a staging area), transitions, etc. It's all here. John is a hunting beast, he knows what he's doing ;)

I always said he would do just fine without the Scent Lok. Just needs to start paying attention to the wind again. ;)


User avatar
grydsrt
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:54 am
Location: South Texas
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby grydsrt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:49 am

When I watch Dan's video's I take notes, especially on the first three "Blood Brother's" DVD's. This is because their/his DVD's are so information-dense that I have no reasonable hope of learning what they/Dan are talking about simply by watching.

When I say I take notes, I play about a minute of the DVD and then type what was said. I use the DVD chapters to make an initial outline and then fill it in as the dvd plays as this avoids leaving gaps. Then whenever I am bored, like at the DMV I review the pdf of my notes on my phone and consider how to apply their/Dan's techniques to where I have available to hunt. Last year was my first attempt at implementing Dan's tactics and Gol Dang they worked!

Even while I reconsider not hauling all my extensive inventory of scent control items into the woods because of the weight involved, at the same time it sure is no fun to have to get down out and move trees when the wind shifts as Dan/Blood Brothers recommend. This in turn makes me feel like I am doing something wrong because Dan talks about switching trees even multiple times in the same day when the wind shifts however by the time I get done dragging my equipment, self, and weapon a mile into the woods and up a tree all before dawn my [*] is kicked so hard I am pretty much not moving when my milkweed seed blows through my expected ambush point. This may be because I recently weighed all the items I haul into the woods and it came out to 100 lbs, not counting what I'm wearing in?

I never imagine me completely giving up scent control, however my implementation may transition simply to treating my hunting clothes, gear, and weapon with ozone beforehand? In the meantime, until I wear out the vast amount of scent control clothing I purchased before stumbling onto Dan's tactics (I thought "Hill Country Bucks" was about Texas Hill Country) I supposed I will continue to wear it.

Scentlok/Scent Blocker is designed for hunting and is definitely less expensive than Sitka which because Sitka sold the UCP/ACU camo pattern to the army and which sucks/ed so bad I will never voluntarily buy their product.
Emrah
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby Emrah » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:13 am

Outdoor814 wrote:Just finished #2.


Really don't know what to think. Everything Dan said makes perfect sense. This John though. Oh boy.



Do you get the feeling John got indoctrinated in this scent control nonsense so long ago that he is so fully entrenched in his public stance on the matter that he'll NEVER publicly change his mind, even though he may secretly have doubts?

"Oh boy" Is a perfect summation on what I was thinking!

Emrah
User avatar
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club
Posts: 607
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:00 pm
Location: Southern MN
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 am

Emrah wrote:
Outdoor814 wrote:Just finished #2.


Really don't know what to think. Everything Dan said makes perfect sense. This John though. Oh boy.



Do you get the feeling John got indoctrinated in this scent control nonsense so long ago that he is so fully entrenched in his public stance on the matter that he'll NEVER publicly change his mind, even though he may secretly have doubts?


I thought this exact same thing. I think he would lose a lot of his followers and credibility if he publicly said anything
User avatar
Net Guy
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:18 pm
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby Net Guy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:Qusetion - Has Dan ever told the story about the first time he used milkweed? Or how it came about?


Not sure if I heard it or not. What's the story? Dying to hear. :D
Outdoor814
500 Club
Posts: 1575
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:36 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby Outdoor814 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:31 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:
Emrah wrote:
Outdoor814 wrote:Just finished #2.


Really don't know what to think. Everything Dan said makes perfect sense. This John though. Oh boy.



Do you get the feeling John got indoctrinated in this scent control nonsense so long ago that he is so fully entrenched in his public stance on the matter that he'll NEVER publicly change his mind, even though he may secretly have doubts?


I thought this exact same thing. I think he would lose a lot of his followers and credibility if he publicly said anything



I mean he must be fully committed 100% to his beliefs in the stuff. Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say that his son ACTUALLY DID do the helicopter dog test in Germany???!!! :shock: :think:
Joe™
User avatar
stash59
Moderator
Posts: 6111
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 am
Location: S Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby stash59 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:
Emrah wrote:
Outdoor814 wrote:Just finished #2.


Really don't know what to think. Everything Dan said makes perfect sense. This John though. Oh boy.



Do you get the feeling John got indoctrinated in this scent control nonsense so long ago that he is so fully entrenched in his public stance on the matter that he'll NEVER publicly change his mind, even though he may secretly have doubts?


I thought this exact same thing. I think he would lose a lot of his followers and credibility if he publicly said anything



I mean he must be fully committed 100% to his beliefs in the stuff. Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say that his son ACTUALLY DID do the helicopter dog test in Germany???!!! :shock: :think:


He hinted at it, yes.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Outdoor814
500 Club
Posts: 1575
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:36 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby Outdoor814 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:45 pm

I thought so.
Joe™
User avatar
mag1
500 Club
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:32 am
Location: NE Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby mag1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm not sure what I thought of his angle. :violin:

While I've always kept my gear clean, I've never been a fanatic. I like Dans tactics, and will stick to them. I almost quit listening because of his stance. Kind of grating. Anyways, we can all do it the way we want to.
User avatar
WSalzNC
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:48 pm
Location: North Carolina
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby WSalzNC » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:28 pm

I have read one of John's books and have heard him on a couple podcasts now. He reminds me of some pro athletes-- I respect his accomplishments, but he's so arrogant that I don't care much for him.
Primetime41
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:15 pm
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby Primetime41 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:09 am

grydsrt wrote:This may be because I recently weighed all the items I haul into the woods and it came out to 100 lbs, not counting what I'm wearing in?


:shock:

What are you hauling in that weighs 100 lbs?
User avatar
FRH
500 Club
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby FRH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:49 am

I just listened to johns podcast on BBR. At the end of it they ask some questions and one of his answers was that he hates stupid people. How he has tried helping people and they kind of blow him off because they don't have an open mind and that irritates him. I thought that was kind of hypocritical when he turned up his nose at dans way of hunting. I also don't like how often he uses always and never. There are exceptions to everything. Obviously his tactics work for him but it's not for me.
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 1143
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:18 am
Location: Over There
Status: Online

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby Boogieman1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:41 am

I finally got to listen to round 2! I think I'm gonna have to get me some taller rubber boots for the last one cause the b/s is getting pretty deep... I will refrain from giving my true feelings, so I won't hurt anyone's feelings of there childhood hero. But I will say I can't stand people who run down every other state and make it sound like a cake walk. Big old mature bucks are rare and tough to kill anywhere. Some folks views of what a mature buck is, are quite different, for some it's 3 1/2 for others that's just a pup. Would like to see how his out of state bucks measured up against other bucks from that area. There are honey holes, in even the most pressured of states and if u have exclusive access to them where even land owners family are not allowed and surrounding property is getting hammered it's often a pretty favorable hunting condition. Does that make it easy? Nope, but it does make it very achievable for a hunter with a good amount of time to throw at it. Taking nothing away from the guy in the skills department, just see a lot of a small lot used car salesman in the tactics described.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.
User avatar
Kraftd
500 Club
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:44 pm
Location: NE IL
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby Kraftd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:35 am

Agree or disagree with either guy's approach, I have to believe John is losing some respect through all of this. Flip side, don't think Dan could come off much better, and again that's completely irrespective of what you think of the approach. I don't cRe if he accomplished as much as Fred Bear, the arrogance is very odd-putting.
User avatar
WEA$EL
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:15 am
Location: Home in PA, farm in OH
Status: Offline

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Postby WEA$EL » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:55 am

So much for my hope that some humility would return in part 2.

"The whole thing about the dog test, that is an absolute joke"...

I don't know the man personally but I have to agree with others, the arrogance is very annoying. Most respected experts in their fields will say things like "I disagree and here is why." When people start to shut down a debate by arrogantly declaring something is a joke, it means at least that they are closed minded and at most that they have no argument to what is being debated.

I guess he figures he's made his money and killed his bucks and obviously could care less what people think about him. I don't know how any of his supporters can defend his arrogance.

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Boogieman1, inarcher711, Tsom and 6 guests