Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AJB

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby AJB » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:32 am

cbigbear wrote:I'm thinking of a real simple scent test no helicopters required. Wrap a dog treat in a scent lok shirt, of course using scent lok gloves, then walk a paved rd (to eliminate ground disturbance) and toss the shirt into the woods or field.

I completely agree! John can even prep the scent lok that would contain the treat so there is no dispute. Once the dog found there would still be some kind of excuse though.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:26 am

The dog topic reminds me of a story my uncle told me about his old lab. She was one of those special dogs that seemed to always know what you wanted and was a great retriever. In his home town home plate of the baseball field is roughly 30-40 yards from an ag field. He said she would always track down the foul balls the kids in the audience couldn't find. He said that one day she brought back a ball that was covered in dirt that had obviously been unfound, left and tilled under. She dug it up. So he sent her back out and she found 3 or 4 more balls that had been buried. Who knows how long they were there ;)

His favorite story with her was when she found a crescent wrench that his employer (old farmer) had lost. Farmer was ticked because he'd had that wrench for decades and "they don't make them like that anymore." He had lost it years prior and mentioned it every time he had to use an "inferior" wrench around the farm.

He figures he set it on the fender of his tractor or truck and it fell off out in the field but really nobody knew where it went. He said he rubbed her ears and said "can you find the wrench Haley? Go get it." Later while he had forgotten about it she came back with his dirt covered crescent wrench.

I don't think a dog will have a problem finding someone in a scent loc suit regardless of other details.
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 am

Years ago I hunted in a lease along the Mississippi River it Louisiana. It was across from the state pen. One two separate occasions an inmate escaped and swam the river, when he got to our side the crossed another body of water, crossed a gravel road and into our woods. The wardens would come on horses with tracking dogs going right down the limestone road, as soon as the hit a scent they would cut off and through the woods they went with horses behind them. Both times they were found, one hiding in a deer stand and one in a duck blind. Now they crossed two bodies of water and the scent was a day old. The whole ground disturbance thing doesn't mean much to me.

If I were JE and those scent clothes companies I would want real world hunt applicable test, not some seal team 6, helicopter drop zone stuff that would never happen for a deer hunt. But then again I am sure they would not like the results.
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:23 am

stash59 wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:
Clink wrote:Part 2 was another interesting one.

I'm wondering why, in John's "ideal" test, he thinks being dropped by a helicopter would be at all realistic.

Every stand you hunt requires an entry route. Im wondering how being dropped in a field from above will do anything to accurately replicate a hunt

I thought the same thing

You missed or forgot the part where he claims trained dogs are tracking the guy in the ScentLok suit. By the trail of broken vegetation and disturbed ground. By the smells that causes. Not by any human odors let behind.

Which does have a little significance. From some things I've read else where. About dogs tracking by scent.

Even with being dropped I think the dogs could scent him from downwind though.

Nope, didnt miss or forget it. Just disregarded it as being a little far fetched.
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:22 pm

I think I might drop a deuce in my ScentLok jacket and see if I can smell it :lol:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Waymore wrote:I think I might drop a deuce in my ScentLok jacket and see if I can smell it :lol:

I'll save you the effort. You can. Especially after chili night :shifty:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
AJB

Unread postby AJB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:13 am

Jonny wrote:
Waymore wrote:I think I might drop a deuce in my ScentLok jacket and see if I can smell it :lol:

If you can it probably because you didn't wash the deuce in scent free soap beforehand... :D
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:25 am

Won't work. Different activated carbon chemistry is required to remove mercaptans and sulfides.
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:13 am

Jonny wrote:

Don't forget to put it directly in your dryer afterward to reactivate the carbon. Lol :lol:
Extreme Effort Only
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:01 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:Almost sounds like John challenges Dan at one point on trying to shoot a mature buck in Michigan using beast tactics by essentially saying it can't be done. Seems like there's already guys on here from Michigan doing it. Also no disrespect to Andrae but I'd be surprised if he has the most boone and Crockett deer. Not that it matters and he doesn't need to prove himself to anyone but that might have been stretched a little. This series of podcasts is like a heavyweight fight. Love the info. Thanks to Dan and John for doing it.

He has the most with a bow, all scored by officials from B/C. However, it don't count because they were taken out of the current books. There may be someone, somewhere, who has him beat, but they have never come forward. There was a Marc Anthony guy who claimed he had the record, but he had one less than Andrae, and he was later busted for buying the racks, not actually killing the deer.

Andrae was an amazing hunter who taught me a lot. There was a time frame when he decided to try and break the Wisconsin State record. He did not succeed, but in a short time frame he shot the second biggest buck in Wisc, and then broke that record by shooting the second biggest again knocking his other one down a notch. He also was onto a giant that was the state record and another guy ended up getting it. Its fact, I was hunting with him at the time.. He was a legendary hunter who certainly never got the credit he deserved.

The biggest difference between him and I, is that he went the way of finding the best buck, then doing whatever it took to get permiission, lease, or buy the property, where I was a little less competitive, and hunted more public... Andrae did start out on public though...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 am

Lockdown wrote:The dog topic reminds me of a story my uncle told me about his old lab. She was one of those special dogs that seemed to always know what you wanted and was a great retriever. In his home town home plate of the baseball field is roughly 30-40 yards from an ag field. He said she would always track down the foul balls the kids in the audience couldn't find. He said that one day she brought back a ball that was covered in dirt that had obviously been unfound, left and tilled under. She dug it up. So he sent her back out and she found 3 or 4 more balls that had been buried. Who knows how long they were there ;)

His favorite story with her was when she found a crescent wrench that his employer (old farmer) had lost. Farmer was ticked because he'd had that wrench for decades and "they don't make them like that anymore." He had lost it years prior and mentioned it every time he had to use an "inferior" wrench around the farm.

He figures he set it on the fender of his tractor or truck and it fell off out in the field but really nobody knew where it went. He said he rubbed her ears and said "can you find the wrench Haley? Go get it." Later while he had forgotten about it she came back with his dirt covered crescent wrench.

I don't think a dog will have a problem finding someone in a scent loc suit regardless of other details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKmJnNwZrE8
Ravenhunter

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:20 am

Great video. Now if the sheds were hanging 30' in a tree would the dog stil smell them? :shifty:
Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:04 am

Jed needs a redbull.... I'm not sure I'm convinced on that video the dog didn't sight find the sheds. I've owned a few pheasant labs. They would work a field naturally with pretty amazing speed zig sagging with wind. They could air scent a bird 200 yrds or more away. When the tails got going you better be on the dog. They also knew what hunting was and didn't need much encouragement. I would like to see the dog find one buried under some brush and hunt the field without the human knowing where the sheds are. Although Jed may have wind scented the sheds I'm gonna have to say inconclusive on the video. IMO
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:18 pm

I wanna mention something. .... I heard the podcast. ....... one of thee most famous, and a great whitetail hunter said he practices scent control. This guy is a well known beast member.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:44 pm

At the beginning of the podcast Dan gives a theory for why the sweaty smelly guy in gym shoes was the hardest to find. His sweat and skin oils were keeping dead skin cells from becoming airborne, reducing his scent stream. It has been documented that certain native tribes cover in substances from animal fat based paints to clay prior to hunts. Maybe I'll avoid showering and roll in mud daily in October.

I think I'd have more confidence in that than scentlok.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”